Verifying Hyper-Threading Technology in Windows* XP

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2004 12:05:44 PM

Hi

"Determine whether Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled in Windows XP by
viewing the Task Manager's CPU history graph or Device Manager."

In my Computer I'll see 2 CPUs in the Device Manager, but only 1 in the Task
Manager.
Is this correct?

TIA
September 1, 2004 3:35:20 PM

"Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>

> "Determine whether Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled in Windows XP by
> viewing the Task Manager's CPU history graph or Device Manager."
>
> In my Computer I'll see 2 CPUs in the Device Manager, but only 1 in the
> Task
> Manager.
> Is this correct?
>
> TIA

Open Task Manager -> Performance Tab

Then:

View -> CPU History -> One Graph Per CPU

It should then display 2 graphs, one for each CPU?

I don't have an HT chip myself, I'm just guessing this would display what
you're looking for
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2004 3:54:52 PM

"Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>

> "Determine whether Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled in Windows XP by
> viewing the Task Manager's CPU history graph or Device Manager."
>
> In my Computer I'll see 2 CPUs in the Device Manager, but only 1 in the
Task
> Manager.
> Is this correct?
>
> TIA

With HT enabled, I get 4 x CPUs (dual Xeons) in Task Manager.
--
Doug Ramage

[Watch Spam Trap]
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 1:20:59 AM

> Open Task Manager -> Performance Tab
>
> Then:
>
> View -> CPU History -> One Graph Per CPU
>
> It should then display 2 graphs, one for each CPU?
>
> I don't have an HT chip myself, I'm just guessing this would display
what
> you're looking for

Yes, that will work.

You will get twice as many windows as HT enabled processors.

---
Bob
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 3:22:21 AM

Phil wrote:
> "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message

Thanks.

> Open Task Manager -> Performance Tab
>
> Then:
>
> View -> CPU History -> One Graph Per CPU
>
> It should then display 2 graphs, one for each CPU?

No, it doesn't.
Or the 2nd graph is invisible.

> I don't have an HT chip myself, I'm just guessing this would display
> what you're looking for

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 3:23:37 AM

Doug Ramage wrote:
> "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message

Thanks for your reply.

> With HT enabled, I get 4 x CPUs (dual Xeons) in Task Manager.

And I get 1x CPU. :-(

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 10:43:24 AM

And I get 2.

> Doug Ramage wrote:
>> "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>

>> With HT enabled, I get 4 x CPUs (dual Xeons) in Task Manager.
>
> And I get 1x CPU. :-(

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 10:48:58 AM

I haven't followed this issue myself except in passing. This is the second
thread I've encountered where this HT vs number of graphs in task manager
has had TWO opposite reports of what one should see. That's in spite of the
number of CPUs shown in DM.

In my 875p(P4C800E Dlx)+Prescott+XPSP1 I get TWO graphs in Task Manager IF
the Task Manager-View-CPU History-One CPU per graph is set.

"Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>

> "Determine whether Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled in Windows XP by
> viewing the Task Manager's CPU history graph or Device Manager."
>
> In my Computer I'll see 2 CPUs in the Device Manager, but only 1 in the
Task
> Manager.
> Is this correct?
>
> TIA

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 3:04:34 PM

Ron Reaugh wrote:
> I haven't followed this issue myself except in passing. This is the
> second thread I've encountered where this HT vs number of graphs in
> task manager has had TWO opposite reports of what one should see.
> That's in spite of the number of CPUs shown in DM.
>
> In my 875p(P4C800E Dlx)+Prescott+XPSP1 I get TWO graphs in Task
> Manager IF the Task Manager-View-CPU History-One CPU per graph is set.

Ron

Thanks.
I can't set the Task Manager-View-CPU History-One CPU per graph.
It's disabled.

> "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>

>> "Determine whether Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled in Windows
>> XP by viewing the Task Manager's CPU history graph or Device
>> Manager."
>>
>> In my Computer I'll see 2 CPUs in the Device Manager, but only 1 in
>> the Task Manager.
>> Is this correct?
>>
>> TIA
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 5:33:15 PM

> > It should then display 2 graphs, one for each CPU?
>
> No, it doesn't.
> Or the 2nd graph is invisible.

Is HyperThreading enabled in the mobo BIOS?

---
Bob
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 7:04:50 PM

> > > It should then display 2 graphs, one for each CPU?
> >
> > No, it doesn't.
> > Or the 2nd graph is invisible.
> >

> Is HyperThreading enabled in the mobo BIOS?

Hang on, what version of XP are you running?

IIRC XP Home will only utilize a single CPU (regardless of what the
BIOS says is installed) while XP Pro will utilize multiple CPUs (if
installed). My bet is you're using XP home, right?

---
Bob
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 7:04:51 PM

Bob,

I'm using XP Home, P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0C w/HT enabled in BIOS.

When I open Task Mgr (Ctrl-Alt-Del)>Performance Tab>View>CPU History>One
graph per CPU, I see two graphs in the section called CPU History.

John

"Bob Rafuse" <no.spam@all.thank.you> wrote in message

>> > No, it doesn't.
>> > Or the 2nd graph is invisible.
>> >

>> Is HyperThreading enabled in the mobo BIOS?
>>

> Hang on, what version of XP are you running?
>
> IIRC XP Home will only utilize a single CPU (regardless of what the
> BIOS says is installed) while XP Pro will utilize multiple CPUs (if
> installed). My bet is you're using XP home, right?
>
> ---
> Bob

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 8:45:42 PM

"Bob Rafuse" <no.spam@all.thank.you> wrote in message

> > > No, it doesn't.
> > > Or the 2nd graph is invisible.
> > >

> > Is HyperThreading enabled in the mobo BIOS?
> >

> Hang on, what version of XP are you running?
>
> IIRC XP Home will only utilize a single CPU (regardless of what the
> BIOS says is installed) while XP Pro will utilize multiple CPUs (if
> installed). My bet is you're using XP home, right?
>
> ---
> Bob

I think you may be confusing only XP Pro's ability to run multiple
processors, with the "virtual" processors that HT generates? So even a
single HT cpu should have 2 graphs in Task Manager.
--
Doug Ramage

[Watch Spam Trap]
September 2, 2004 8:47:08 PM

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:05:44 +0200, "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>

>"Determine whether Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled in Windows XP by
>viewing the Task Manager's CPU history graph or Device Manager."
>
>In my Computer I'll see 2 CPUs in the Device Manager, but only 1 in the Task
>Manager.
>Is this correct?
>
>TIA

Try this (from Intel)

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc....
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 9:00:10 PM

> I'm using XP Home, P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0C w/HT enabled in BIOS.

My bad. XP Home _does_ support hyperthreading, because it only
supported a single proc.

I could have ~sworn~ I read during the XP beta that Home would not
support HT. I can't find whatever MS docs I thought I'd read now.

Sorry for the confusion.

---
Bob
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 9:00:58 PM

> I think you may be confusing only XP Pro's ability to run multiple
> processors, with the "virtual" processors that HT generates? So even
> single HT cpu should have 2 graphs in Task Manager.
> --
> Doug Ramage

Yeah, I was wrong. XP Home _does_ support HT, just not SMP.

Thanks,

---
Bob
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2004 2:31:50 AM

Bob Rafuse wrote:
>>> It should then display 2 graphs, one for each CPU?
>>
>> No, it doesn't.
>> Or the 2nd graph is invisible.
>>

> Is HyperThreading enabled in the mobo BIOS?

Yes! :-(

> ---
> Bob

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2004 3:04:52 AM

Harry wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:05:44 +0200, "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com>
> wrote:
>

> Try this (from Intel)

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc....

Thank you for your hint and link.

But this utility is useless.
The BIOS-Test fails:

'Das Testutility für die Hyper-Threading-Technologie konnte nicht
feststellen, ob bei diesem System alle erforderlichen Komponenten vorhanden
beziehungsweise aktiviert sind oder funktionieren.'

It means
'The utility couldn't determine, whether at this system all required
components exists, are activated or works.'

I've got WinXP Pro and an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe MB.

September 3, 2004 3:11:25 PM

It worked for me, and I have a 2.8c, P4P800-e Deluxe, and XP Pro.