Verifying Hyper-Threading Technology in Windows* XP

Hi

"Determine whether Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled in Windows XP by
viewing the Task Manager's CPU history graph or Device Manager."

In my Computer I'll see 2 CPUs in the Device Manager, but only 1 in the Task
Manager.
Is this correct?

TIA
18 answers Last reply
More about verifying hyper threading technology windows

    "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >

    > "Determine whether Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled in Windows XP by
    > viewing the Task Manager's CPU history graph or Device Manager."
    >
    > In my Computer I'll see 2 CPUs in the Device Manager, but only 1 in the
    > Task
    > Manager.
    > Is this correct?
    >
    > TIA

    Open Task Manager -> Performance Tab

    Then:

    View -> CPU History -> One Graph Per CPU

    It should then display 2 graphs, one for each CPU?

    I don't have an HT chip myself, I'm just guessing this would display what
    you're looking for

    "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >

    > "Determine whether Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled in Windows XP by
    > viewing the Task Manager's CPU history graph or Device Manager."
    >
    > In my Computer I'll see 2 CPUs in the Device Manager, but only 1 in the
    Task
    > Manager.
    > Is this correct?
    >
    > TIA

    With HT enabled, I get 4 x CPUs (dual Xeons) in Task Manager.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [Watch Spam Trap]

    > Open Task Manager -> Performance Tab
    >
    > Then:
    >
    > View -> CPU History -> One Graph Per CPU
    >
    > It should then display 2 graphs, one for each CPU?
    >
    > I don't have an HT chip myself, I'm just guessing this would display
    what
    > you're looking for

    Yes, that will work.

    You will get twice as many windows as HT enabled processors.

    ---
    Bob

    Phil wrote:
    > "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message

    Thanks.

    > Open Task Manager -> Performance Tab
    >
    > Then:
    >
    > View -> CPU History -> One Graph Per CPU
    >
    > It should then display 2 graphs, one for each CPU?

    No, it doesn't.
    Or the 2nd graph is invisible.

    Doug Ramage wrote:
    > "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message

    Thanks for your reply.

    > With HT enabled, I get 4 x CPUs (dual Xeons) in Task Manager.

    And I get 1x CPU. :-(

    And I get 2.

    > Doug Ramage wrote:
    >> "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >

    >> With HT enabled, I get 4 x CPUs (dual Xeons) in Task Manager.
    >
    > And I get 1x CPU. :-(

    I haven't followed this issue myself except in passing. This is the second
    thread I've encountered where this HT vs number of graphs in task manager
    has had TWO opposite reports of what one should see. That's in spite of the
    number of CPUs shown in DM.

    In my 875p(P4C800E Dlx)+Prescott+XPSP1 I get TWO graphs in Task Manager IF
    the Task Manager-View-CPU History-One CPU per graph is set.

    Ron Reaugh wrote:
    > I haven't followed this issue myself except in passing. This is the
    > second thread I've encountered where this HT vs number of graphs in
    > task manager has had TWO opposite reports of what one should see.
    > That's in spite of the number of CPUs shown in DM.
    >
    > In my 875p(P4C800E Dlx)+Prescott+XPSP1 I get TWO graphs in Task
    > Manager IF the Task Manager-View-CPU History-One CPU per graph is set.

    Ron

    Thanks.
    I can't set the Task Manager-View-CPU History-One CPU per graph.
    It's disabled.

    > "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>

    >> "Determine whether Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled in Windows
    >> XP by viewing the Task Manager's CPU history graph or Device
    >> Manager."
    >>
    >> In my Computer I'll see 2 CPUs in the Device Manager, but only 1 in
    >> the Task Manager.
    >> Is this correct?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > > It should then display 2 graphs, one for each CPU?
    >
    > No, it doesn't.
    > Or the 2nd graph is invisible.

    Is HyperThreading enabled in the mobo BIOS?

    ---
    Bob

    > > > It should then display 2 graphs, one for each CPU?
    > >
    > > No, it doesn't.
    > > Or the 2nd graph is invisible.
    > >

    > Is HyperThreading enabled in the mobo BIOS?

    Hang on, what version of XP are you running?

    IIRC XP Home will only utilize a single CPU (regardless of what the
    BIOS says is installed) while XP Pro will utilize multiple CPUs (if
    installed). My bet is you're using XP home, right?

    ---
    Bob

    Bob,

    I'm using XP Home, P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0C w/HT enabled in BIOS.

    When I open Task Mgr (Ctrl-Alt-Del)>Performance Tab>View>CPU History>One
    graph per CPU, I see two graphs in the section called CPU History.

    John

    "Bob Rafuse" <no.spam@all.thank.you> wrote in message

    >> > No, it doesn't.
    >> > Or the 2nd graph is invisible.
    >> >

    >> Is HyperThreading enabled in the mobo BIOS?
    >>

    > Hang on, what version of XP are you running?
    >
    > IIRC XP Home will only utilize a single CPU (regardless of what the
    > BIOS says is installed) while XP Pro will utilize multiple CPUs (if
    > installed). My bet is you're using XP home, right?
    >
    > ---
    > Bob

    "Bob Rafuse" <no.spam@all.thank.you> wrote in message

    > > > No, it doesn't.
    > > > Or the 2nd graph is invisible.
    > > >

    > > Is HyperThreading enabled in the mobo BIOS?
    > >

    > Hang on, what version of XP are you running?
    >
    > IIRC XP Home will only utilize a single CPU (regardless of what the
    > BIOS says is installed) while XP Pro will utilize multiple CPUs (if
    > installed). My bet is you're using XP home, right?
    >
    > ---
    > Bob

    I think you may be confusing only XP Pro's ability to run multiple
    processors, with the "virtual" processors that HT generates? So even a
    single HT cpu should have 2 graphs in Task Manager.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [Watch Spam Trap]

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:05:44 +0200, "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >

    >"Determine whether Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled in Windows XP by
    >viewing the Task Manager's CPU history graph or Device Manager."
    >
    >In my Computer I'll see 2 CPUs in the Device Manager, but only 1 in the Task
    >Manager.
    >Is this correct?
    >
    >TIA

    Try this (from Intel)

    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=1687&DwnldID=7595

    > I'm using XP Home, P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0C w/HT enabled in BIOS.

    My bad. XP Home _does_ support hyperthreading, because it only
    supported a single proc.

    I could have ~sworn~ I read during the XP beta that Home would not
    support HT. I can't find whatever MS docs I thought I'd read now.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    ---
    Bob
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > I think you may be confusing only XP Pro's ability to run multiple
    > processors, with the "virtual" processors that HT generates? So even
    > single HT cpu should have 2 graphs in Task Manager.
    > --
    > Doug Ramage

    Yeah, I was wrong. XP Home _does_ support HT, just not SMP.

    Thanks,

    ---
    Bob
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Bob Rafuse wrote:
    >>> It should then display 2 graphs, one for each CPU?
    >>
    >> No, it doesn't.
    >> Or the 2nd graph is invisible.
    >>

    > Is HyperThreading enabled in the mobo BIOS?

    Yes! :-(

    > ---
    > Bob

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Harry wrote:
    > On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:05:44 +0200, "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > Try this (from Intel)

    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=1687&DwnldID=7595

    Thank you for your hint and link.

    But this utility is useless.
    The BIOS-Test fails:

    'Das Testutility für die Hyper-Threading-Technologie konnte nicht
    feststellen, ob bei diesem System alle erforderlichen Komponenten vorhanden
    beziehungsweise aktiviert sind oder funktionieren.'

    It means
    'The utility couldn't determine, whether at this system all required
    components exists, are activated or works.'

    I've got WinXP Pro and an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe MB.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    It worked for me, and I have a 2.8c, P4P800-e Deluxe, and XP Pro.

    Peter Wagner wrote:
    > Harry wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:05:44 +0200, "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>Try this (from Intel)
    >>

    > http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=1687&DwnldID=7595
    >
    > Thank you for your hint and link.
    >
    > But this utility is useless.
    > The BIOS-Test fails:
    >
    > 'Das Testutility für die Hyper-Threading-Technologie konnte nicht
    > feststellen, ob bei diesem System alle erforderlichen Komponenten vorhanden
    > beziehungsweise aktiviert sind oder funktionieren.'
    >
    > It means
    > 'The utility couldn't determine, whether at this system all required
    > components exists, are activated or works.'
    >

    > I've got WinXP Pro and an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe MB.

Asus Device Manager CPUs Windows XP Motherboards