Hi

Does having a different wattage ATX power supply have any effect on ATX
motherboards?

Cliv

Too little power and the computer won't boot, excess power
capacity doesn't hurt anything except possibly your wallet.
A power supply actually only delivers the amount of power
required to operate the device attached.
If the power supply is rated 200 Watts and you connect a
system that needs 300 Watts, the power supply will deliver
300 Watts. It will also over-heat and wear-out much sooner.
A system will draw more power when starting up as the motors
on the drives and fans draw far more power than they do once
they are up to speed.
Most power supply specifications and ratings include
constant and surge or momentary power. You can find power
calculators that will add the estimated power required to
run the mobo, CPU, fans, hard drives, etc. I would suggest
that the power supply you get is rated to deliver 115-130%
of that power or in other words, the draw should be 80-85%
capacity.

"Tacy" <tacy@telkomsa.net> wrote in message
| Hi
|
| Does having a different wattage ATX power supply have any
effect on ATX
| motherboards?
|
| Cliv

The wattage needed is determined by the amount of peripherals you have
connected to your system. What is good for me isn't necessarily adequate for
your purposes. These days, I never build a new computer without using at
least a 400 watt "quality" power supply.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Tacy" <tacy@telkomsa.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Does having a different wattage ATX power supply have any effect on ATX
> motherboards?
>
> Cliv

If that 200 watt power supply is properly fused, the fuse will blow if you
overload the supply by a factor of X, X being determined by the manufacturer
(-:

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Too little power and the computer won't boot, excess power
> capacity doesn't hurt anything except possibly your wallet.
> A power supply actually only delivers the amount of power
> required to operate the device attached.
> If the power supply is rated 200 Watts and you connect a
> system that needs 300 Watts, the power supply will deliver
> 300 Watts. It will also over-heat and wear-out much sooner.
> A system will draw more power when starting up as the motors
> on the drives and fans draw far more power than they do once
> they are up to speed.
> Most power supply specifications and ratings include
> constant and surge or momentary power. You can find power
> calculators that will add the estimated power required to
> run the mobo, CPU, fans, hard drives, etc. I would suggest
> that the power supply you get is rated to deliver 115-130%
> of that power or in other words, the draw should be 80-85%
> capacity.

> "Tacy" <tacy@telkomsa.net> wrote in message
> | Hi
> |
> | Does having a different wattage ATX power supply have any
> effect on ATX
> | motherboards?
> |
> | Cliv

Fuses have time limits, there are slow fuses and fast fuses.
There are fuses designed to work with inductive inputs and
there are fuses designed to protect integrated circuits.
The computer has inductive input for the fans and drives
(motors) and it has IC that need fast protection. The
voltage regulators on the mobo protect the IC, the power
supply must be fused for the inductive loads.

"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| If that 200 watt power supply is properly fused, the fuse
will blow if you
| overload the supply by a factor of X, X being determined
by the manufacturer
| (-:
|
| --
| Regards:
|
| Richard Urban
|
| aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

in message
| > Too little power and the computer won't boot, excess
power
| > capacity doesn't hurt anything except possibly your
wallet.
| > A power supply actually only delivers the amount of
power
| > required to operate the device attached.
| > If the power supply is rated 200 Watts and you connect a
| > system that needs 300 Watts, the power supply will
deliver
| > 300 Watts. It will also over-heat and wear-out much
sooner.
| > A system will draw more power when starting up as the
motors
| > on the drives and fans draw far more power than they do
once
| > they are up to speed.
| > Most power supply specifications and ratings include
| > constant and surge or momentary power. You can find
power
| > calculators that will add the estimated power required
| > run the mobo, CPU, fans, hard drives, etc. I would
suggest
| > that the power supply you get is rated to deliver
115-130%
| > of that power or in other words, the draw should be
80-85%
| > capacity.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Tacy" <tacy@telkomsa.net> wrote in message
| > | Hi
| > |
| > | Does having a different wattage ATX power supply have
any
| > effect on ATX
| > | motherboards?
| > |