Asus motherboard P3B-F and shutdown

Hi Newsgroup,

I have the following problem. After having put an ASUS P3B-
F motherboard into an old PC I have, now my Windows XP,
when I want to shutdown, shuts down and then reboots
automatically. I can't get the PC to switch off completely.
A chkdsk control of my harddisk did not reveal any
problems. My device manager does not indicate anything
wrong either. In the KB on the microsoft site I do not
find anything either. On the ASUS website, there is a
similar problem with windows 2000 and this motherboard.
They recommend a bios update, but my bios is higher than
the mininum version they recommend. As another bios update
went wrong last friday on another board and thrashed it
completely, I am reluctant to try another bios update. On
some newsgroups on the internet there are other people who
have had this problem, but no solution was mentioned. Does
anyone know anything more about this?

many thanks for any info,
Dirk Stevens

Did you do a repair install of Windows XP after you switched over to the new
motherboard? That will usually solve the problem.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"dirk Stevens" <stevensdirk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Newsgroup,
>
> I have the following problem. After having put an ASUS P3B-
> F motherboard into an old PC I have, now my Windows XP,
> when I want to shutdown, shuts down and then reboots
> automatically. I can't get the PC to switch off completely.
> A chkdsk control of my harddisk did not reveal any
> problems. My device manager does not indicate anything
> wrong either. In the KB on the microsoft site I do not
> find anything either. On the ASUS website, there is a
> similar problem with windows 2000 and this motherboard.
> They recommend a bios update, but my bios is higher than
> the mininum version they recommend. As another bios update
> went wrong last friday on another board and thrashed it
> completely, I am reluctant to try another bios update. On
> some newsgroups on the internet there are other people who
> have had this problem, but no solution was mentioned. Does
> anyone know anything more about this?
>
> many thanks for any info,
> Dirk Stevens

No, I did not do a repair install after I switched over.
Yesterday I did however have the courage to upgrade the bios from rev 1004 to 1006 and that upgrade did solve the problem.

In any case, many thanks for the tip. I had not thought of doing that.
Dirk Stevens