cd-rom reads a disc only once after start-up

after installing xp pro on my IBM Aptiva , every disc
inserted in cd-rom shows as empty except for 1st use
after start-up.ie all disc files are found on any cd, but
only the first time after re-start. any subsequent disc
is read as blank.
original os was ME. cd drive is Teac CD-w54e.
Teac says no driver is needed as the drive is
automatically detected by Windows (as indicated by all
files being shown at first run).
Aptiva is year 2000 build (pre xp!), but nothing seems to
be wrong because everything works ok - but once only,
until pc is re-started & apparently re-set.
any help will be appreciated.
many thanks

Marco

I have the exact same problem with XP home edition. I'd
be very interested to know if anyone has a solution.

Thanks !

Believe it or not!
This is what happened to me;
After inserting & removing many,many cd's & countless re-
starts, the common factor seemed to be a failure to read
discs after dialling up to www.
Then, purely by chance,having successfully opened a disc,
i left the open disc in the cd-rom (ie pc was reading &
displaying contents of disc), then dialled.Problem has
not recurred yet after several days.
You may need to be sure autoplay is set to "open file
every time".