Initial test of new computer components fails to boot

P4C800-E Deluxe MB
Corsair TwinX1024-4000Pro memory
Matrox Millennium P Series 750 video card

Booting from a Win98SE boot floppy
HD connected is formatted but with no data

At power on, monitor displays bands of colour gibberish that I assume
is text not displaying properly.
Next: "Scanning for IDE drives . . . . ."
"No drives attached to FastTrack controller, the BIOS is not
installed"
Then: three beeps (memory problem)
Three mores wide bands of colour gibberish
Boot process halts

There is no opportunity to access the BIOS and do some of the tweaking
I have read about in this group. The Corsair was not on the list of
approved memory for this MB and I read somewhere (here, I thought)
that it was compatible with this board before it was ordered. I need
some help and I am confident I have come to the right place.

Thank you.

Try pressing the DEL key a few times at 2-second intervals as soon as power
is turned on; that may allow you to get into the BIOS to fix display and
boot settings. HTH

formerprof

On 2 Sep 2004 08:46:06 -0500, ITPro@cyberspace.net wrote:

>P4C800-E Deluxe MB
>Corsair TwinX1024-4000Pro memory
>Matrox Millennium P Series 750 video card
>
>Booting from a Win98SE boot floppy
>HD connected is formatted but with no data
>
>At power on, monitor displays bands of colour gibberish that I assume
>is text not displaying properly.
>Next: "Scanning for IDE drives . . . . ."
>"No drives attached to FastTrack controller, the BIOS is not
>installed"
>Then: three beeps (memory problem)
>Three mores wide bands of colour gibberish
>Boot process halts
>
>There is no opportunity to access the BIOS and do some of the tweaking
>I have read about in this group. The Corsair was not on the list of
>approved memory for this MB and I read somewhere (here, I thought)
>that it was compatible with this board before it was ordered. I need
>some help and I am confident I have come to the right place.
>
>Thank you.

After sending the above message, I realize I failed to include:
P4 2.8CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz
processor
Vantec Power Supply Blk Alumin 520W Silence ATX P4

To formerprof, thank you for the suggestion. It is one I have tried
numerous times before sending the original message and nothing seems
to offer a window where I can access the BIOS.

Paul

Splendid

In article <2fdej01ivgqk8rkmvh277vhri9kchl4uq2@4ax.com>,
ITPro@cyberspace.net wrote:

> On 2 Sep 2004 08:46:06 -0500, ITPro@cyberspace.net wrote:
>

> >P4C800-E Deluxe MB
> >Corsair TwinX1024-4000Pro memory
> >Matrox Millennium P Series 750 video card
> >
> >Booting from a Win98SE boot floppy
> >HD connected is formatted but with no data
> >
> >At power on, monitor displays bands of colour gibberish that I assume
> >is text not displaying properly.
> >Next: "Scanning for IDE drives . . . . ."
> >"No drives attached to FastTrack controller, the BIOS is not
> >installed"
> >Then: three beeps (memory problem)
> >Three mores wide bands of colour gibberish
> >Boot process halts
> >
> >There is no opportunity to access the BIOS and do some of the tweaking
> >I have read about in this group. The Corsair was not on the list of
> >approved memory for this MB and I read somewhere (here, I thought)
> >that it was compatible with this board before it was ordered. I need
> >some help and I am confident I have come to the right place.
> >
> >Thank you.
>
> After sending the above message, I realize I failed to include:
> P4 2.8CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz
> processor
> Vantec Power Supply Blk Alumin 520W Silence ATX P4
>
> To formerprof, thank you for the suggestion. It is one I have tried
> numerous times before sending the original message and nothing seems
> to offer a window where I can access the BIOS.

The three beeps could be the AMI BIOS beeping once for each USB
device connected. You can disconnect your USB devices and see if the
beeps disappear.

As for the Matrox, this was beaten to death here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=Xu97c.896%24tY6.21696%40bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net

HTH,
Paul