KL

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

My brother in law has recently upgraded his graphics card
to a Asus V9560 GeForce FX5600XT 128MB DDR.
When he plays Rise of Nations it starts ok but then the
graphics go mainly red and fuzzy. The drivers are
installed ok, sometimes he gets a low virtual memory
warning.

His system is
WinXP home
128 ram
2.4 cpu

Is it just a case of needing more ram? 256k? or 512k?

Any help would be greatfully received.

Kevin

Most people consider 256Mb of RAM the absolute minimum for
Windows XP, however, when playing games on XP, more RAM is
desirable, 512Mb at least. By installing more RAM you
will also cue Windows to increase the virtual memory that
is allocated, assuming you haven't set virtual memory
manually.

None of the above will necessarily resolve the problem of
the graphics going red & fuzzy, but, like chicken soup, it
can't hurt . . .

Good Luck !

Ok, so the problem should be corrected by obtaining more
ram? I'll go for 512.

Which video brand was there in the system before current NVidia?

I think it was on board graphics 32meg.

Will more ram sort the problem?

chen

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Ouch!

128 MB is very, very little on a XP computer... I would recommend at least
256-512 MB.

Are you really sure that it's only 128 mb? A 2.4 Ghz computer with only 128
mb ram isn't so easy to find ;-).

// Chen

"KL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> My brother in law has recently upgraded his graphics card
> to a Asus V9560 GeForce FX5600XT 128MB DDR.
> When he plays Rise of Nations it starts ok but then the
> graphics go mainly red and fuzzy. The drivers are
> installed ok, sometimes he gets a low virtual memory
> warning.
>
> His system is
> WinXP home
> 128 ram
> 2.4 cpu
>
> Is it just a case of needing more ram? 256k? or 512k?
>
> Any help would be greatfully received.
>
> Kevin

Yes! definately 128. Its only got a 16 gig HDD as well. I
thought he had been stiched up when he bought it.

"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message news:ufIrJ2WUEHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> Hi
>
> The graphics card has 128 MBs DDR!!

What's wrong with that?

Andrew

More RAM would definitely be a good idea; XP runs rather poorly with 128 MB. I'm not sure if that's
directly related to the problem though, since it would seem unlikely that would cause the graphics
to go "red and fuzzy" as you describe it. You may want to check that the graphics card isn't
physically broken, or perhaps that the computer isn't overheating...

A 16 GB HDD is very small these days too - where did this computer come from?

Andrew