Help New A7N8x-E Delux Won't Boot w/HD From A7A266

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Boot
  • HD
  • Windows XP
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 7:27:26 PM

I updated my old A7A266 1.7mhz to a new 3200+ A7N8X-e Deluxe and now
the old Maxtor HD w/XP Pro SP2 won't boot! I hauled out an old 20gig
Maxtor I had, reformatted it and installed XP Pro SP2 and now things
work fine but...
You see I don't want to go through the pain of starting all over with
my good old hard drive that worked so well.

Is there any way around the problem???

Thanks..

More about : a7n8x delux boot a7a266

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 9:00:14 PM

John Blackthorn wrote:

> I updated my old A7A266 1.7mhz to a new 3200+ A7N8X-e Deluxe and now
> the old Maxtor HD w/XP Pro SP2 won't boot! I hauled out an old 20gig
> Maxtor I had, reformatted it and installed XP Pro SP2 and now things
> work fine but...
> You see I don't want to go through the pain of starting all over with
> my good old hard drive that worked so well.
>
> Is there any way around the problem???
>
> Thanks..

It's not possible to take an 2k/XP installation and change to a
different chipset, ALi to nVidia as in this case. You'll need to do a
repair install from your XP disc by booting from the disc and choosing
the repair install option. In theory everything should be kept with just
the hardware detection and accompanying drivers being reset..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 9:00:15 PM

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:00:14 +0100, Barry Walsh
<bwalsh@SPAMMERSAREVERMINindigo.ie> wrote:

>John Blackthorn wrote:
>
>> I updated my old A7A266 1.7mhz to a new 3200+ A7N8X-e Deluxe and now
>> the old Maxtor HD w/XP Pro SP2 won't boot! I hauled out an old 20gig
>> Maxtor I had, reformatted it and installed XP Pro SP2 and now things
>> work fine but...
>> You see I don't want to go through the pain of starting all over with
>> my good old hard drive that worked so well.
>>
>> Is there any way around the problem???
>>
>> Thanks..
>
> It's not possible to take an 2k/XP installation and change to a
>different chipset, ALi to nVidia as in this case. You'll need to do a
>repair install from your XP disc by booting from the disc and choosing
>the repair install option. In theory everything should be kept with just
>the hardware detection and accompanying drivers being reset..

Barry--

Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately, when I tried to repair
the old disk in the new machine, I still had the same problem. The
only difference is I got the Blue Screen of Death.
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 9:22:21 PM

John Blackthorn wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:00:14 +0100, Barry Walsh
> <bwalsh@SPAMMERSAREVERMINindigo.ie> wrote:
>

>>John Blackthorn wrote:
>>

>>>I updated my old A7A266 1.7mhz to a new 3200+ A7N8X-e Deluxe and now
>>>the old Maxtor HD w/XP Pro SP2 won't boot! I hauled out an old 20gig
>>>Maxtor I had, reformatted it and installed XP Pro SP2 and now things
>>>work fine but...
>>>You see I don't want to go through the pain of starting all over with
>>>my good old hard drive that worked so well.
>>>
>>>Is there any way around the problem???
>>>
>>>Thanks..
>>
>> It's not possible to take an 2k/XP installation and change to a
>>different chipset, ALi to nVidia as in this case. You'll need to do a
>>repair install from your XP disc by booting from the disc and choosing
>>the repair install option. In theory everything should be kept with just
>>the hardware detection and accompanying drivers being reset..
>

> Barry--
>
> Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately, when I tried to repair
> the old disk in the new machine, I still had the same problem. The
> only difference is I got the Blue Screen of Death.

Curious. If the new install on the 20Gb went fine then the repair
install should also have worked... What's the exact wording of the blue
screen error?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 9:22:22 PM

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:22:21 +0100, Barry Walsh
<bwalsh@SPAMMERSAREVERMINindigo.ie> wrote:

>John Blackthorn wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:00:14 +0100, Barry Walsh
>> <bwalsh@SPAMMERSAREVERMINindigo.ie> wrote:

>>> It's not possible to take an 2k/XP installation and change to a
>>>different chipset, ALi to nVidia as in this case. You'll need to do a
>>>repair install from your XP disc by booting from the disc and choosing
>>>the repair install option. In theory everything should be kept with just
>>>the hardware detection and accompanying drivers being reset..
>>

>> Barry--
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately, when I tried to repair
>> the old disk in the new machine, I still had the same problem. The
>> only difference is I got the Blue Screen of Death.
>>

>Curious. If the new install on the 20Gb went fine then the repair
>install should also have worked... What's the exact wording of the blue
>screen error?

Well I didn't write it down, and now I took my backup HD, it was a
couple of weeks out of date, and installed a new version of XP Pro2
over the old version so now I can't go back and reboot to get the
exact information.

The new installation on the old BU HD works fine too, so it looks like
I'm going to be killing a lot of free time this weekend. Rats!
!