New IDE Controller = Missing CD ROM Drive

Hey All...I recently upgraded my system to Windows XP (clean
re-format/installation), and in the process added a brand new 120gb
Maxtor HD. I also added a Ultra 133 IDE Controller as well. My setup
is as follows: New hard drive connected to the new controller as
primary, and my two cd rom drives connected to the mother board as
secondary. I was able to successfully install XP by temporarily
plugging in my hard drive to the motherboard (primary), then once
windows was up and running, I installed the drivers to my new ide
controller and then switched the HD over. After I did this, XP boots
up fine but doesn't display and CD ROM drives. My BIOS says there are
no devices connected to my primary or secondary controllers. Does
anyone have any clues to help solve this problem? I would rather keep
my HD connected to the new controller because I have just purchased it
and can't return it and would like to utilize it's faster transfer
rates.

thanks.

Gianni B. wrote:
> Hey All...I recently upgraded my system to Windows XP (clean
> re-format/installation), and in the process added a brand new 120gb
> Maxtor HD. I also added a Ultra 133 IDE Controller as well. My setup
> is as follows: New hard drive connected to the new controller as
> primary, and my two cd rom drives connected to the mother board as
> secondary. I was able to successfully install XP by temporarily
> plugging in my hard drive to the motherboard (primary), then once
> windows was up and running, I installed the drivers to my new ide
> controller and then switched the HD over. After I did this, XP boots
> up fine but doesn't display and CD ROM drives. My BIOS says there are
> no devices connected to my primary or secondary controllers. Does
> anyone have any clues to help solve this problem? I would rather keep
> my HD connected to the new controller because I have just purchased it
> and can't return it and would like to utilize it's faster transfer
> rates.

You did change the jumper settings on the CD drives, right?

--
<- Shenan ->

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message news:<e#rqYWaUEHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> You did change the jumper settings on the CD drives, right?
> --
> <- Shenan ->

I didn't...and the reason for that was because originally my Dell
Dimension came with a ULTRA 66 IDE Controller card. So right now, my
setup is identical to the original setup when I got my computer,
except this time with a new hard drive and controller card.

Should I change the jumper settings on my CD drives?

ok...solved it by switching the cd rom ide cable to primary instead of secondary

How are the hard drive connect to the IDEs? What are connect to the
ATA/133 card?