Bad DVD Performance! Help Please!

G

Hello!

I have a Compaq Presario 1694 laptop.

Yes, I know that Compaq laptops are not any good, but I like mine.

The DVD performance on the laptop is not too good. It gets about 75-90% of smooth playback...it just is jerky sometimes. But still almost unwatchable.

I have tried using Cacheman, SiSoft Sandra 2001, K6-2PRO tweaker, AiShampoo Windows tweaker, etc. I also don't have programs load at startup. I'm using Windows Me.

What can I do to improve it? What could I do that's free? Also would WinXP Pro improve performance? Or a K6-3+, overclocked to 600MHZ?

Here's the specs:

450 AMD K6-2
128 Ram
6GB HDD
8 MB ATI RAGE LT PRO
Windows Me
Power DVD and Compaq DVD Player

BTW: Compaq also made the 1685 with only a 380Mhz processor and a DVD drive.

Thanks!

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
You might try getting the latest drivers for you video card. I'm not sure if there is much else you could do.

<b>If you make a sytem that even an idiot can use, only an idiot will use it!!</b>

G

OK:

Which do I use?

ATI Reference Drivers
Compaq's Latest Driver for this model
Microsoft's Windows Update Drivers

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I would go with ATI Reference Drivers and also make sure you have the latest bios.

<b>If you make a sytem that even an idiot can use, only an idiot will use it!!</b>

G

Compaq does not have a newer BIOS for download.

Is it possible to download it elsewhere? (Its Award BIOS)

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Nah, Just stick with the drivers you find on Compaq's site. You might try to get a different video driver, but the others should be fine.