win2k install problems

G

I recently built a new computer, works great, put 98se on it. I decided I wanted to switch to win2k because I have recently got more into web development and all that good stuff. Plus, I hear it is much more stable. Anyways, all I could come across was the upgrade cd. I first repartioned my hard drive and formatted it. Did a min install of win98 and then proceeded to install 2k. After I begin the install and it restarts the first time........
if I choose to boot from the cd it will start loading and then tell me that it is unable to find a hard drive. If I boot it up from my hard drive, it tells me something about inaccessible boot device and to restart. Obviously this is getting me no where. I am using a seagate barracuda II, it boots up win98 fine. I checked microsofts page, the drivers on the win2k cd are supposed to support this drive. In addition, I did try installing the win2k promise drivers at the beginning of the win2k install, but that just gave me the same error message. Asus A7V, 1.1 Ghz, 128mb PC133. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

G

Problem fixed, for some reason the install program wouldn't read my hd when it was hooked up to the ultra ata/100 controller, after I moved it to the regular ide controller everything worked fine.

Brada

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you install W2K to boot from ultra 100, you have to press f6 when the message "Setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration" is displayed (after copying files, reboot, immediately after POST). This will allow you to add a mass storage device at the very beginning of text mode setup. You got to have driver diskette for ata-100 controller. Should help. Microsoft got the same mistake in NT4.

TRENDING THREADS