Voodoo3 3000 Video Card

Ron

Is the installation/driver files that came with my
Voodoo3 3ooo XP compatible? XP has a Microsoft driver
explicitly for this card, and it works great - -

UNTIL you play a 3d game that utilizes the 3dfx glide
driver, which is not unstalled with the MS driver.

Always use the manufacturer's driver for a video card, not
Microsoft's (if you can). Visit the manufacturer's
website for the latest information regarding their
products.

The packaging that came with the card should say if it's
XP compatible or look at the README on the installation
disc. You (should) have this material. We don't.

Good Luck !

Ron

One small problem with what would be sound advice.
3dfx, Inc. went out of business long before Windows XP
came out. NVIDIA bought the intellectual rights from
them, but never bought or merged with the company itself.
They had drivers and tweekers for the card to download
for a long time, but no longer.

Since it was a very popular card, and giving the fact MS
goes out of its way to mention that XP ships with drivers
for the VooDoo series, I was hoping someone here would
know. I searched the knowledge base, and found nothing
for this particular problem (though there was a file for
a different problem with the game Quake).

I guess I could copy and rename the driver
to "OpenGL.dll" and fool the game software switches, but
XP is highly finicky.... better safe than sorry.

The Glide driver is simply much smoother motion than
software rendering or Direct 3d support. In other words -
I am poor and using top of the line stuff from 5 years
ago. LOL!

Thanks anyway... I'll check back Monday and see if
someone else has any info about my antique stuff. ;)

MGGP wrote:
> Always use the manufacturer's driver for a video card, not
> Microsoft's (if you can). Visit the manufacturer's
> website for the latest information regarding their
> products.
>
> The packaging that came with the card should say if it's
> XP compatible or look at the README on the installation
> disc. You (should) have this material. We don't.
>
> Good Luck !

HUH?! Are you not aware that the Voodoo 3 was a popular card back around the
time Windows 98 was hitting the shelves?! Then 3dfx went bust. There are no
XP drivers for this card, nor are there ever likely to be (yes, I'm aware of
Voodoo Files, but I think even they've stopped writing for the 3000). Unless
3dfx had a time machine, there is no support for the V3 3000, there never
will be. The OP should replace the card (mind you, if his graphics card is
that ancient, the mind boggles about the rest of the system!)

Ron

ROTFLOL!

EXACTLY! You would probably walk away shaking your head
if you saw my system. PII, 400 MHz, 128 Mb RAM, with a
cacophany of peripherals that came over on the Mayflower.

I needed a good chuckle today. Thanks. I update what I
can afford to periodically. Nice Sony 21" monitor and a
HP CD-WriterPlus were my last splurges... and even those
were 2 years ago.

Simply cannot afford to update to a new PC every couple
of years.... the software alone is bankrupting by itself.

The card manufacturers went out of business long ago. Try the fansite at
www.voodoofiles.com
--
Cari
www.coribright.com