Optimal Page File size?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2004 1:53:12 AM

System:

P4P800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0C
2GB RAM
C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions

What is the optimal setting for System Properties>Advanced>Performance
Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory? Should I select System managed size or
Custom size? If Custom, what do you recommend for Initial size and Maximum
size?

My system is now set for System managed size and the Currently allocated is
2047 MB. Recommended is 3070 MB. Drive D: and E: have no page files.

Thank you.

John

More about : optimal page file size

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2004 2:01:09 AM

Forgot to add...

Windows XP Home w/SP2.

John

> System:
>
> P4P800-E Deluxe
> P4 3.0C
> 2GB RAM
> C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
> D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2004 12:19:33 PM

"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> System:
>
> P4P800-E Deluxe
> P4 3.0C
> 2GB RAM
> C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
> D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions
>
> What is the optimal setting for System Properties>Advanced>Performance
> Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory? Should I select System managed size or
> Custom size? If Custom, what do you recommend for Initial size and
Maximum
> size?
>
> My system is now set for System managed size and the Currently allocated
is
> 2047 MB. Recommended is 3070 MB. Drive D: and E: have no page files.
>
> Thank you.
>
> John

I have 3 hard drives and have set page files on the 2 non OS drives. One
pagefile is set at 1024Mb minimum and 4094Mb maximum in a separate partition
at the beginning of the faster hard drive. The second page file is set at
the same figures on the slower hard drive. I have 1.5Gb of RAM.
--
Doug Ramage

[Watch Spam Trap]
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2004 12:21:07 PM

I would set a smaller than recommended value,
fixed size, probably just a few hundred megs.

They are best set on the faster drive,
and the one that's used least, in your
case that's probably just C: .

"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> System:
>
> P4P800-E Deluxe
> P4 3.0C
> 2GB RAM
> C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
> D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions
>
> What is the optimal setting for System Properties>Advanced>Performance
> Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory? Should I select System managed size or
> Custom size? If Custom, what do you recommend for Initial size and Maximum
> size?
>
> My system is now set for System managed size and the Currently allocated is
> 2047 MB. Recommended is 3070 MB. Drive D: and E: have no page files.
>
> Thank you.
>
> John

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2004 12:47:45 PM

Hi, all
Are you sure your question has anything to do with Asus hardware?
It is a software issue (windows xp configuration) and I am sure you will
receive thousands of answers on one of the microsoft.public.windowsxp
newsgroups
Enjoy
Serge
"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: -KydnXqXEN0zZ6rcRVn-gA@lmi.net...
> Forgot to add...
>
> Windows XP Home w/SP2.
>
> John
>

>> System:
>>
>> P4P800-E Deluxe
>> P4 3.0C
>> 2GB RAM
>> C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
>> D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2004 1:27:42 PM

"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> System:
>
> P4P800-E Deluxe
> P4 3.0C
> 2GB RAM
> C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
> D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions
>
> What is the optimal setting for System Properties>Advanced>Performance
> Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory? Should I select System managed size or
> Custom size? If Custom, what do you recommend for Initial size and
Maximum
> size?
>
> My system is now set for System managed size and the Currently allocated
is
> 2047 MB. Recommended is 3070 MB. Drive D: and E: have no page files.
>
> Thank you.
>
> John

I have 3 hard drives and have set page files on the 2 non OS drives. One
pagefile is set at 1024Mb minimum and 4094Mb maximum in a separate partition
at the beginning of the faster hard drive. The second page file is set at
the same figures on the slower hard drive. I have 1.5Gb of RAM.
--
Doug Ramage

[Watch Spam Trap]
September 3, 2004 9:35:55 PM

John, the recommended value is listed at the bottom of the Virtual Memory
form. It is 1.5x physical memory + 2MB.

However, with 2GB RAM, depending on what you are doing, having a pagefile
this size can be just a waste of space. I have sought clarification on what
the optimal pagefile size with larger memory configs but it seems to depened
mostly on what you use the system for. ON small memory systems, the 1.5x
rule stands - if it is smaller, then you run the risk of Out of Memory
errors, if the page file is much larger then to be able to use it, memory
has to be grossly oversubscribed and performance will be suffering very
badly already.

If you install SP2 you will also notice that there is a new option of No
Paging File.

If you can afford the disc space then use the recommended settings. If you
wish to experiment with the new No Paging File option then OK, but be aware
that you may start to see Out of Memory errors when the full 2GB is in use.
If you need to economise for disk space reasons then you can trim the size
down somewhat (EG 1GB), however don't do this if you are running server
systems such as multi-user databases, email servers, and so on as you may
strike major performance issues if the memory allocations in these systems
is not under the total VM size.

For best VM performance, the page files can be split across multiple drives
and controllers. However to do this effectively one needs to understand
first the IO usage patterns of the *disc drives* concerned. If you had say 2
IDE disc drives on master and slave, then there is absolutely no point in
splitting the page file (there can be no overlapped IO with IDE or SATA,
there can be with SATA RAID, and it is normal for SCSI). It is completely
pointless splitting a pagefile across partitions on the same drive (unless
you are out of disc space).

Lastly, the pagefile should be large enough for a memory dump should your
system be or become unstable. Without an adequate sized page file, you will
not be able to have a full PM dump or do a PM analysis. (most people don't
know what to do with one anyway, so this is rather moot).

- Tim

"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Forgot to add...
>
> Windows XP Home w/SP2.
>
> John
>

>> System:
>>
>> P4P800-E Deluxe
>> P4 3.0C
>> 2GB RAM
>> C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
>> D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2004 9:35:56 PM

Tim and others...

Thank you for your replies.

I have plenty of disk space, so that's not a consideration.

I run Photoshop, MS Office, Quicken and a few other apps for my home/office.
Photoshop has its own swapfile which I have on a separate partition on a
second drive.

To keep things simple, I'll keep the page file on just my C: drive.

John

!