Optimal Page File size?

System:

P4P800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0C
2GB RAM
C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions

What is the optimal setting for System Properties>Advanced>Performance
Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory? Should I select System managed size or
Custom size? If Custom, what do you recommend for Initial size and Maximum
size?

My system is now set for System managed size and the Currently allocated is
2047 MB. Recommended is 3070 MB. Drive D: and E: have no page files.

Thank you.

John
7 answers Last reply
More about optimal page file size

    Forgot to add...

    Windows XP Home w/SP2.

    John

    "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > System:
    >
    > P4P800-E Deluxe
    > P4 3.0C
    > 2GB RAM
    > C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
    > D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions
    >
    > What is the optimal setting for System Properties>Advanced>Performance
    > Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory? Should I select System managed size or
    > Custom size? If Custom, what do you recommend for Initial size and
    Maximum
    > size?
    >
    > My system is now set for System managed size and the Currently allocated
    is
    > 2047 MB. Recommended is 3070 MB. Drive D: and E: have no page files.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > John

    I have 3 hard drives and have set page files on the 2 non OS drives. One
    pagefile is set at 1024Mb minimum and 4094Mb maximum in a separate partition
    at the beginning of the faster hard drive. The second page file is set at
    the same figures on the slower hard drive. I have 1.5Gb of RAM.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [Watch Spam Trap]

    I would set a smaller than recommended value,
    fixed size, probably just a few hundred megs.

    They are best set on the faster drive,
    and the one that's used least, in your
    case that's probably just C: .

    "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > System:
    >
    > P4P800-E Deluxe
    > P4 3.0C
    > 2GB RAM
    > C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
    > D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions
    >
    > What is the optimal setting for System Properties>Advanced>Performance
    > Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory? Should I select System managed size or
    > Custom size? If Custom, what do you recommend for Initial size and Maximum
    > size?
    >
    > My system is now set for System managed size and the Currently allocated is
    > 2047 MB. Recommended is 3070 MB. Drive D: and E: have no page files.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > John

    Hi, all
    Are you sure your question has anything to do with Asus hardware?
    It is a software issue (windows xp configuration) and I am sure you will
    receive thousands of answers on one of the microsoft.public.windowsxp
    newsgroups
    Enjoy
    Serge
    "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> a écrit dans le message de
    news: -KydnXqXEN0zZ6rcRVn-gA@lmi.net...
    > Forgot to add...
    >
    > Windows XP Home w/SP2.
    >
    > John
    >

    >> System:
    >>
    >> P4P800-E Deluxe
    >> P4 3.0C
    >> 2GB RAM
    >> C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
    >> D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions

    "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > System:
    >
    > P4P800-E Deluxe
    > P4 3.0C
    > 2GB RAM
    > C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
    > D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions
    >
    > What is the optimal setting for System Properties>Advanced>Performance
    > Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory? Should I select System managed size or
    > Custom size? If Custom, what do you recommend for Initial size and
    Maximum
    > size?
    >
    > My system is now set for System managed size and the Currently allocated
    is
    > 2047 MB. Recommended is 3070 MB. Drive D: and E: have no page files.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > John

    I have 3 hard drives and have set page files on the 2 non OS drives. One
    pagefile is set at 1024Mb minimum and 4094Mb maximum in a separate partition
    at the beginning of the faster hard drive. The second page file is set at
    the same figures on the slower hard drive. I have 1.5Gb of RAM.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [Watch Spam Trap]

    John, the recommended value is listed at the bottom of the Virtual Memory
    form. It is 1.5x physical memory + 2MB.

    However, with 2GB RAM, depending on what you are doing, having a pagefile
    this size can be just a waste of space. I have sought clarification on what
    the optimal pagefile size with larger memory configs but it seems to depened
    mostly on what you use the system for. ON small memory systems, the 1.5x
    rule stands - if it is smaller, then you run the risk of Out of Memory
    errors, if the page file is much larger then to be able to use it, memory
    has to be grossly oversubscribed and performance will be suffering very
    badly already.

    If you install SP2 you will also notice that there is a new option of No
    Paging File.

    If you can afford the disc space then use the recommended settings. If you
    wish to experiment with the new No Paging File option then OK, but be aware
    that you may start to see Out of Memory errors when the full 2GB is in use.
    If you need to economise for disk space reasons then you can trim the size
    down somewhat (EG 1GB), however don't do this if you are running server
    systems such as multi-user databases, email servers, and so on as you may
    strike major performance issues if the memory allocations in these systems
    is not under the total VM size.

    For best VM performance, the page files can be split across multiple drives
    and controllers. However to do this effectively one needs to understand
    first the IO usage patterns of the *disc drives* concerned. If you had say 2
    IDE disc drives on master and slave, then there is absolutely no point in
    splitting the page file (there can be no overlapped IO with IDE or SATA,
    there can be with SATA RAID, and it is normal for SCSI). It is completely
    pointless splitting a pagefile across partitions on the same drive (unless
    you are out of disc space).

    Lastly, the pagefile should be large enough for a memory dump should your
    system be or become unstable. Without an adequate sized page file, you will
    not be able to have a full PM dump or do a PM analysis. (most people don't
    know what to do with one anyway, so this is rather moot).

    - Tim

    "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > Forgot to add...
    >
    > Windows XP Home w/SP2.
    >
    > John
    >

    >> System:
    >>
    >> P4P800-E Deluxe
    >> P4 3.0C
    >> 2GB RAM
    >> C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
    >> D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions

    Tim and others...

    Thank you for your replies.

    I have plenty of disk space, so that's not a consideration.

    I run Photoshop, MS Office, Quicken and a few other apps for my home/office.
    Photoshop has its own swapfile which I have on a separate partition on a
    second drive.

    To keep things simple, I'll keep the page file on just my C: drive.

    John

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:ch8vnc$hec$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > John, the recommended value is listed at the bottom of the Virtual Memory
    > form. It is 1.5x physical memory + 2MB.
    >
    > However, with 2GB RAM, depending on what you are doing, having a pagefile
    > this size can be just a waste of space. I have sought clarification on
    > what the optimal pagefile size with larger memory configs but it seems to
    > depened mostly on what you use the system for. ON small memory systems,
    > the 1.5x rule stands - if it is smaller, then you run the risk of Out of
    > Memory errors, if the page file is much larger then to be able to use it,
    > memory has to be grossly oversubscribed and performance will be suffering
    > very badly already.
    >
    > If you install SP2 you will also notice that there is a new option of No
    > Paging File.
    >
    > If you can afford the disc space then use the recommended settings. If you
    > wish to experiment with the new No Paging File option then OK, but be
    > aware that you may start to see Out of Memory errors when the full 2GB is
    > in use. If you need to economise for disk space reasons then you can trim
    > the size down somewhat (EG 1GB), however don't do this if you are running
    > server systems such as multi-user databases, email servers, and so on as
    > you may strike major performance issues if the memory allocations in these
    > systems is not under the total VM size.
    >
    > For best VM performance, the page files can be split across multiple
    > drives and controllers. However to do this effectively one needs to
    > understand first the IO usage patterns of the *disc drives* concerned. If
    > you had say 2 IDE disc drives on master and slave, then there is
    > absolutely no point in splitting the page file (there can be no overlapped
    > IO with IDE or SATA, there can be with SATA RAID, and it is normal for
    > SCSI). It is completely pointless splitting a pagefile across partitions
    > on the same drive (unless you are out of disc space).
    >
    > Lastly, the pagefile should be large enough for a memory dump should your
    > system be or become unstable. Without an adequate sized page file, you
    > will not be able to have a full PM dump or do a PM analysis. (most people
    > don't know what to do with one anyway, so this is rather moot).
    >
    > - Tim
    >

    > "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> Forgot to add...
    >>
    >> Windows XP Home w/SP2.
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    >>> System:
    >>>
    >>> P4P800-E Deluxe
    >>> P4 3.0C
    >>> 2GB RAM
    >>> C: WD 120 GB SATA HD
    >>> D: WD 120 GB EIDE HD -- D: and E: partitions

Asus File Size Western Digital Motherboards