Asus Terminator-2 with ATI Radeon 9100 IGP

I bought this system, you can view features here:
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=T2-R%20Deluxe&langs=01
http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9100igp/features.html

This board hould support tv-out, but there is no s-video or similar
Rear I/O.

How can I use this feature?
Is it ok if I install this asus accessory?
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/mb_accessories.htm#AV

bye
andr3a
4 answers Last reply
More about asus terminator radeon 9100

    In article <haklj0td530pr35apoghiopd1ft1ua4m5i@4ax.com>,
    ndr113_SPAM_THIS!_@libero.it wrote:

    > I bought this system, you can view features here:
    > http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=T2-R%20Deluxe&langs=01
    > http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9100igp/features.html
    >
    > This board hould support tv-out, but there is no s-video or similar
    > Rear I/O.
    >
    > How can I use this feature?
    > Is it ok if I install this asus accessory?
    > http://www.asus.com/products/mb/mb_accessories.htm#AV
    >

    > bye
    > andr3a

    To use the AV/S card, the one pictured here:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-131-211-03.JPG/13-131-211-02.JPG/13-131-211-04.jpg

    you need a five pin header on the motherboard. Since the T2-R
    motherboard manual doesn't have a color picture of the motherboard
    itself (the P4R8T), I cannot see whether there is an undocumented
    header available or not.

    You can see an example of an AV/S header (TV-OUT1) on page 16 of:

    http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4r800-vm/e1511_p4r800-vm.pdf

    If the header is missing on your board, you are out of luck.

    Also note, the picture on page 16 is wrong. It shows the header
    as like this:

    X X
    X X

    whereas the real picture of the p4r800-vm motherboard shows this:

    X X
    X X

    and p4r800-vm and a7n8x-vm/400 have the same header and apparently
    use the same AV/S card, at least based on the connector. So, the
    header you are looking for on the P4R8T in the T2-R is like this:

    X X
    X X

    Also, in your manual, there is no BIOS adjustment for the video
    output mode, which says the BIOS is not expecting to drive TV-OUT
    either.

    You could contact Asus tech support, and ask them what the "DVO
    support" is on the spec page -

    http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=T2-R%20Deluxe&langs=01

    HTH,
    Paul

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 08:31:27 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >To use the AV/S card, the one pictured here:
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-131-211-03.JPG/13-131-211-02.JPG/13-131-211-04.jpg
    >
    >you need a five pin header on the motherboard. Since the T2-R
    >motherboard manual doesn't have a color picture of the motherboard
    >itself (the P4R8T), I cannot see whether there is an undocumented
    >header available or not.

    I just opened the case... I haven't this header :-(

    >You could contact Asus tech support, and ask them what the "DVO
    >support" is on the spec page -

    I contacted the tech support days ago, and they told me that I must
    use a dedicated PCI card.
    This means that I must exclude the Radeon via bios... right?
    Or is there a way to use both cards once installed?

    Thank you. Bye!
    andr3a

    In article <nj8mj0dhmbskuc20jd63oke738smlbi3p5@4ax.com>,
    ndr113_SPAM_THIS!_@libero.it wrote:

    > On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 08:31:27 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > >To use the AV/S card, the one pictured here:
    > >

    >http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-131-211-03.JPG/13-131-211-02.JPG/13-131-211-04.jpg
    > >
    > >you need a five pin header on the motherboard. Since the T2-R
    > >motherboard manual doesn't have a color picture of the motherboard
    > >itself (the P4R8T), I cannot see whether there is an undocumented
    > >header available or not.
    > >

    > I just opened the case... I haven't this header :-(
    >
    > >You could contact Asus tech support, and ask them what the "DVO
    > >support" is on the spec page -
    >
    > I contacted the tech support days ago, and they told me that I must
    > use a dedicated PCI card.
    > This means that I must exclude the Radeon via bios... right?
    > Or is there a way to use both cards once installed?
    >

    > Thank you. Bye!
    > andr3a

    I would think a PCI video card could be operated at the same
    time as the built-in video.

    This page mentions a feature called SurroundView:
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_43_Release_Notes.html

    "SURROUNDVIEW

    This release introduces multi-adapter, multi-monitor support for
    the integrated ATI RADEON? 9100 IGP graphics processor. Using
    SURROUNDVIEW with an ATI AGP graphics card can provide support
    for up to three independent monitors. This feature is supported
    on the RADEON? 9100 IGP with the following ATI products:

    * ATI RADEON? 9800 series
    * ATI RADEON? 9600 series
    * ATI RADEON? 9500 series
    * ATI RADEON? 9200 series
    * ATI RADEON? 9000 series

    Note: ATI ALL-IN-WONDER variants based on the above will also
    be supported"

    So, if you believe those Catalyst driver release notes, you could
    also use an ATI video card at the same time as the built-in
    graphics. This ATI 9000 is $40 USD and should be a cheap solution
    for getting a TV output.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-386&depa=0

    Before buying an ATI AGP video card, I would contact Asus Tech support
    again, and ask them whether the BIOS will tolerate both the 9100 IGP
    and an AGP card working at the same time. While ATI says it will work,
    the BIOS must be compatible as well.

    A PCI video card is an easier solution, because it should work with
    either the built in graphics or with an AGP video card. The BIOS
    shouldn't have to much to say about it. PCI video cards tend to be a
    bit more expensive, and that is the only reason I suggest the AGP
    card as an alternate solution (subject to Asus tech support approval).
    Give the Asus Tech support the link to the Catalyst release notes
    above, so they can read it for themselves.

    HTH,
    Paul

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 05:26:28 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >A PCI video card is an easier solution, because it should work with
    >either the built in graphics or with an AGP video card. The BIOS
    >shouldn't have to much to say about it. PCI video cards tend to be a
    >bit more expensive, and that is the only reason I suggest the AGP
    >card as an alternate solution (subject to Asus tech support approval).
    >Give the Asus Tech support the link to the Catalyst release notes
    >above, so they can read it for themselves.
    >
    >HTH,
    > Paul

    I just received an answer from Asus. I asked about agp and pci, and
    they tell me that it's not possible to work with two cards at the same
    time. :-(

    Since you're so gentle and prepared, can I ask you an advice?
    All I need is tv-out... maybe I should buy a dedicated
    card/peripherical such as Pinnacle ones?
    What's the best choise, considering quality and price?

    Thank you. Bye!
    andr3a

Asus Radeon Accessories ATI Motherboards