Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Asus Terminator-2 with ATI Radeon 9100 IGP

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2004 12:49:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I bought this system, you can view features here:
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=T2-R%20Deluxe&langs...
http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9100igp/features.html

This board hould support tv-out, but there is no s-video or similar
Rear I/O.

How can I use this feature?
Is it ok if I install this asus accessory?
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/mb_accessories.htm#AV


bye
andr3a
September 5, 2004 12:49:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <haklj0td530pr35apoghiopd1ft1ua4m5i@4ax.com>,
ndr113_SPAM_THIS!_@libero.it wrote:

> I bought this system, you can view features here:
> http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=T2-R%20Deluxe&langs...
> http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9100igp/features.html
>
> This board hould support tv-out, but there is no s-video or similar
> Rear I/O.
>
> How can I use this feature?
> Is it ok if I install this asus accessory?
> http://www.asus.com/products/mb/mb_accessories.htm#AV
>
>
> bye
> andr3a

To use the AV/S card, the one pictured here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-131-21...

you need a five pin header on the motherboard. Since the T2-R
motherboard manual doesn't have a color picture of the motherboard
itself (the P4R8T), I cannot see whether there is an undocumented
header available or not.

You can see an example of an AV/S header (TV-OUT1) on page 16 of:

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4r800-vm/e1511...

If the header is missing on your board, you are out of luck.

Also note, the picture on page 16 is wrong. It shows the header
as like this:

X X
X X
X

whereas the real picture of the p4r800-vm motherboard shows this:

X X
X
X X

and p4r800-vm and a7n8x-vm/400 have the same header and apparently
use the same AV/S card, at least based on the connector. So, the
header you are looking for on the P4R8T in the T2-R is like this:

X X
X
X X

Also, in your manual, there is no BIOS adjustment for the video
output mode, which says the BIOS is not expecting to drive TV-OUT
either.

You could contact Asus tech support, and ask them what the "DVO
support" is on the spec page -

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=T2-R%20Deluxe&langs...

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2004 6:35:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 08:31:27 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>To use the AV/S card, the one pictured here:
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-131-21...
>
>you need a five pin header on the motherboard. Since the T2-R
>motherboard manual doesn't have a color picture of the motherboard
>itself (the P4R8T), I cannot see whether there is an undocumented
>header available or not.
>

I just opened the case... I haven't this header :-(

>You could contact Asus tech support, and ask them what the "DVO
>support" is on the spec page -

I contacted the tech support days ago, and they told me that I must
use a dedicated PCI card.
This means that I must exclude the Radeon via bios... right?
Or is there a way to use both cards once installed?


Thank you. Bye!
andr3a
Related resources
September 6, 2004 9:26:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <nj8mj0dhmbskuc20jd63oke738smlbi3p5@4ax.com>,
ndr113_SPAM_THIS!_@libero.it wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 08:31:27 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> >To use the AV/S card, the one pictured here:
> >
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-131-21...
> >
> >you need a five pin header on the motherboard. Since the T2-R
> >motherboard manual doesn't have a color picture of the motherboard
> >itself (the P4R8T), I cannot see whether there is an undocumented
> >header available or not.
> >
>
> I just opened the case... I haven't this header :-(
>
> >You could contact Asus tech support, and ask them what the "DVO
> >support" is on the spec page -
>
> I contacted the tech support days ago, and they told me that I must
> use a dedicated PCI card.
> This means that I must exclude the Radeon via bios... right?
> Or is there a way to use both cards once installed?
>
>
> Thank you. Bye!
> andr3a

I would think a PCI video card could be operated at the same
time as the built-in video.

This page mentions a feature called SurroundView:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_43_Release_Notes.h...

"SURROUNDVIEW

This release introduces multi-adapter, multi-monitor support for
the integrated ATI RADEON? 9100 IGP graphics processor. Using
SURROUNDVIEW with an ATI AGP graphics card can provide support
for up to three independent monitors. This feature is supported
on the RADEON? 9100 IGP with the following ATI products:

* ATI RADEON? 9800 series
* ATI RADEON? 9600 series
* ATI RADEON? 9500 series
* ATI RADEON? 9200 series
* ATI RADEON? 9000 series

Note: ATI ALL-IN-WONDER variants based on the above will also
be supported"

So, if you believe those Catalyst driver release notes, you could
also use an ATI video card at the same time as the built-in
graphics. This ATI 9000 is $40 USD and should be a cheap solution
for getting a TV output.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

Before buying an ATI AGP video card, I would contact Asus Tech support
again, and ask them whether the BIOS will tolerate both the 9100 IGP
and an AGP card working at the same time. While ATI says it will work,
the BIOS must be compatible as well.

A PCI video card is an easier solution, because it should work with
either the built in graphics or with an AGP video card. The BIOS
shouldn't have to much to say about it. PCI video cards tend to be a
bit more expensive, and that is the only reason I suggest the AGP
card as an alternate solution (subject to Asus tech support approval).
Give the Asus Tech support the link to the Catalyst release notes
above, so they can read it for themselves.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 10:15:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 05:26:28 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>A PCI video card is an easier solution, because it should work with
>either the built in graphics or with an AGP video card. The BIOS
>shouldn't have to much to say about it. PCI video cards tend to be a
>bit more expensive, and that is the only reason I suggest the AGP
>card as an alternate solution (subject to Asus tech support approval).
>Give the Asus Tech support the link to the Catalyst release notes
>above, so they can read it for themselves.
>
>HTH,
> Paul

I just received an answer from Asus. I asked about agp and pci, and
they tell me that it's not possible to work with two cards at the same
time. :-(

Since you're so gentle and prepared, can I ask you an advice?
All I need is tv-out... maybe I should buy a dedicated
card/peripherical such as Pinnacle ones?
What's the best choise, considering quality and price?

Thank you. Bye!
andr3a
!