Decisions, decisions...

franky

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Hi all,

It's upgrade time and i'm wondering if i should go for the Asus P5GD1 915P
GLan/Sata/PCIX/8ch./Raid DDR1 motherboard with Intel PIV540 Boxed
HT800MHz,1MB Cache (3.2GHz) (Skt775) cpu or the Asus P4P800/GLan/Sata/8X
865PE/Audio/USB2 motherboard with Intel Prescott PIV 3.2 Ghz Boxed 1024KB
FSB800 (Sckt478) cpu

In other words, do i go socket 775 or stay with socket 478 for now.
I know i have to replace the videocard when i go socket 775 because it's
pci-x now instead of agp, also i still use non sata ide drives so i'm
guessing if the 'old' ide drives will work ok

cpu price for S775 and S478 is about the same, motherboard for S478 is about
$50 cheaper then the S775 and i don't need a new videocard when i choose
S478, which means another $90 cheaper or so.
Maybe i should also check my current power supply to see if it can handle
the new motherboards..

Current system is P4B533-E with i2.26 cpu

Please advise me to make a good decision guys :)

Franky

Franky wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's upgrade time and i'm wondering if i should go for the Asus P5GD1 915P
> GLan/Sata/PCIX/8ch./Raid DDR1 motherboard with Intel PIV540 Boxed
> HT800MHz,1MB Cache (3.2GHz) (Skt775) cpu or the Asus P4P800/GLan/Sata/8X
> 865PE/Audio/USB2 motherboard with Intel Prescott PIV 3.2 Ghz Boxed 1024KB
> FSB800 (Sckt478) cpu
>
> In other words, do i go socket 775 or stay with socket 478 for now.
> I know i have to replace the videocard when i go socket 775 because it's
> pci-x now instead of agp, also i still use non sata ide drives so i'm
> guessing if the 'old' ide drives will work ok
>
> cpu price for S775 and S478 is about the same, motherboard for S478 is about
> $50 cheaper then the S775 and i don't need a new videocard when i choose
> S478, which means another $90 cheaper or so.
> Maybe i should also check my current power supply to see if it can handle
> the new motherboards..
>
> Current system is P4B533-E with i2.26 cpu
>
> Please advise me to make a good decision guys :)
>
> Franky

If your going to stay S478, I wouldnt go with a i865 chipset, you might
be better off looking at the P4C800 series (I have a P4C800-E, it rocks)
so that you also get prescott support later, then when the other people
who make the S478 -> S775 step, will be selling AGP video cards, and
other stuff cheaper.

I'f your going for 3Ghz and under, I would get a 3.0C, if your looking
at 3.0+, I'd get a Prescott or EE s478 3.2/3.4

Paul

Splendid

In article <ecmdnfOKYeMJsqbcRVnygA@scarlet.biz>, "Franky"
<franky.brandt@pi.be> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's upgrade time and i'm wondering if i should go for the Asus P5GD1 915P
> GLan/Sata/PCIX/8ch./Raid DDR1 motherboard with Intel PIV540 Boxed
> HT800MHz,1MB Cache (3.2GHz) (Skt775) cpu or the Asus P4P800/GLan/Sata/8X
> 865PE/Audio/USB2 motherboard with Intel Prescott PIV 3.2 Ghz Boxed 1024KB
> FSB800 (Sckt478) cpu
>
> In other words, do i go socket 775 or stay with socket 478 for now.
> I know i have to replace the videocard when i go socket 775 because it's
> pci-x now instead of agp, also i still use non sata ide drives so i'm
> guessing if the 'old' ide drives will work ok
>
> cpu price for S775 and S478 is about the same, motherboard for S478 is about
> $50 cheaper then the S775 and i don't need a new videocard when i choose
> S478, which means another $90 cheaper or so.
> Maybe i should also check my current power supply to see if it can handle
> the new motherboards..
>
> Current system is P4B533-E with i2.26 cpu
>
> Please advise me to make a good decision guys :)
>
> Franky

There are many different combinations of chipsets and sockets
right now being offered. The most expensive upgrade option is
to buy a system with DDR2 and PCI Express video slot. You can also
find systems with DDR and systems with the older AGP slot. For
example, the P5P800 is a P4P800, but the socket changes from
S478 to LGA775, and a motherboard like that allows reuse of
the components you've got, except for buying a new processor.

Socket 775 Intel 925X P5AD2 Premium P5AD2 Deluxe
Intel 915P P5GD2 Premium P5GD2 Deluxe P5GD2
P5GDC Deluxe P5GD1
Intel 915G P5GDC-V Deluxe P5GD1-VM
  Intel 865PE P5P800
Socket 478 Intel 915P P4GD1

Since Asus has not updated their motherboard comparison table,
you'll have to evaluate the items in the table above, to see
which is best.

HTH,
Paul

For 99.9% of people, 50% CPU increase is not worth the
time and cost involved in a full system upgrade. Unless you
have something very pressing that's just got to have more
horsepower now, you should wait at least another year.
Have you considered your other options, such as
overclocking?

"Franky" <franky.brandt@pi.be> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> It's upgrade time and i'm wondering if i should go for the Asus P5GD1 915P
> GLan/Sata/PCIX/8ch./Raid DDR1 motherboard with Intel PIV540 Boxed
> HT800MHz,1MB Cache (3.2GHz) (Skt775) cpu or the Asus P4P800/GLan/Sata/8X
> 865PE/Audio/USB2 motherboard with Intel Prescott PIV 3.2 Ghz Boxed 1024KB
> FSB800 (Sckt478) cpu
>
> In other words, do i go socket 775 or stay with socket 478 for now.
> I know i have to replace the videocard when i go socket 775 because it's
> pci-x now instead of agp, also i still use non sata ide drives so i'm
> guessing if the 'old' ide drives will work ok
>
> cpu price for S775 and S478 is about the same, motherboard for S478 is about
> $50 cheaper then the S775 and i don't need a new videocard when i choose
> S478, which means another $90 cheaper or so.
> Maybe i should also check my current power supply to see if it can handle
> the new motherboards..
>
> Current system is P4B533-E with i2.26 cpu
>
> Please advise me to make a good decision guys :)
>
> Franky

The P5GD1 motherboard does NOT use a PCI-X video card; and yes there is such
a thing, but it's not the correct one. That motherboard uses a PCI-Express
video card.

--
DaveW

"Franky" <franky.brandt@pi.be> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> It's upgrade time and i'm wondering if i should go for the Asus P5GD1 915P
> GLan/Sata/PCIX/8ch./Raid DDR1 motherboard with Intel PIV540 Boxed
> HT800MHz,1MB Cache (3.2GHz) (Skt775) cpu or the Asus P4P800/GLan/Sata/8X
> 865PE/Audio/USB2 motherboard with Intel Prescott PIV 3.2 Ghz Boxed 1024KB
> FSB800 (Sckt478) cpu
>
> In other words, do i go socket 775 or stay with socket 478 for now.
> I know i have to replace the videocard when i go socket 775 because it's
> pci-x now instead of agp, also i still use non sata ide drives so i'm
> guessing if the 'old' ide drives will work ok
>
> cpu price for S775 and S478 is about the same, motherboard for S478 is
> about
> $50 cheaper then the S775 and i don't need a new videocard when i choose
> S478, which means another $90 cheaper or so.
> Maybe i should also check my current power supply to see if it can handle
> the new motherboards..
>
> Current system is P4B533-E with i2.26 cpu
>
> Please advise me to make a good decision guys :)
>
> Franky

franky

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Oops, sorry DaveW, i'm not updated on all the latest names and standards
yet, thanks for the correction :)
I read about pci-x & pci-express and imagined it was the same, i now see
it's not..the pci express is video & pci-x is other slots i guess

Franky

"DaveW" <none@zero.org> schreef in bericht
> The P5GD1 motherboard does NOT use a PCI-X video card; and yes there is
such
> a thing, but it's not the correct one. That motherboard uses a
PCI-Express
> video card.
>
> --
> DaveW

franky

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Hi Raymond, thanks for your reply.
No, i have never considered overclocking etc as it's something i don't risk
doing..just a personal choice
Well, this system i have now(one of the 4) has the weird habit of freezing
now & then, and i never found what the problem is.
I did replace the other parts except for mainboard/cpu/case so that's one of
the reasons i'm trying to upgrade.
Second reason is that i bought Doom3 , it runs but not very fluid on my 2.26
And i can use some horsepower..i'm a delphi developer and a lot of the times
i have many applications running at once.

But your right of course, if it wasn't for doom3 & the freezing i would wait
at least a few months more :)

Franky

"Raymond" <no@all.net> schreef in bericht
> For 99.9% of people, 50% CPU increase is not worth the
> time and cost involved in a full system upgrade. Unless you
> have something very pressing that's just got to have more
> horsepower now, you should wait at least another year.
> Have you considered your other options, such as
> overclocking?

franky

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Wooow that's great info Paul, thank you.

I just looked up info on the P5P800 and indeed, it looks great.
Socket 775 with agp 8x..great

Thanks Paul