Two Problems that I can't seem to get fixed

June 15, 2004 8:36:53 AM

System Specs:
Asus P4PE-X Mainboard (onboard sound disabled)
CPU: P4 2.8Ghz Hypertread 800mhz fsp
MEM: 2x256 3200 DDR
HD: 120GIG WD 8mb Cach
VID: 128meg Ati Radion 9200
Sound: SB Live 5.1

Now windows detects that there are 2 Cpu's both at 2.8ghz but I only
have one installed. This is just a minor problem but I'm posting it
because it may be a symptom of the big problem.

Now every so often at random intervels the system hangs. One of two
things happens after the hang either there will be a loud beep over the
speekers or nothing whatsoever.

Please help I've tried to figure out what is going on but have no clue.
--
Zilgorn Zeypher

More about : problems fixed

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 8:36:54 AM

Don't worry about the 2 processor detection. This is just
how Windows sees Hyperthreading. Hyperthreading acts like
2 processors by breaking down a single stream of data
into 2 streams, or by running 2 streams simultaneously
without sacrificing performance. It's completely normal
for your computer to recognize it as 2 CPUs.

As far as your system hanging...

We need more information. What are you doing when it
hangs? Just telling us it hangs could mean MANY different
things.

June 18, 2004 2:30:43 AM

System hangs can occur if the video drivers for the 9200 were not updated
properly. Or, the SB live drivers have been known to be buggy under certain
conditions. Finally, although you say that the on board sound is disabled,
did you disable it on the MBD(Jumper) or in BIOS, and then disable the
windows drivers?

> Don't worry about the 2 processor detection. This is just
> how Windows sees Hyperthreading. Hyperthreading acts like
> 2 processors by breaking down a single stream of data
> into 2 streams, or by running 2 streams simultaneously
> without sacrificing performance. It's completely normal
> for your computer to recognize it as 2 CPUs.
>
> As far as your system hanging...
>
> We need more information. What are you doing when it
> hangs? Just telling us it hangs could mean MANY different
> things.

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 3:16:53 PM

Turn off Hyperthreading in the BIOS