nanouk

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Hi all

In Task Manager "Processes Running" shows over 28 running incl 4x
syshost.exe when no apps are open . Is this normal? I have Norton AV and
Zone Alarm Pro running but why so many processes?

Also sometimes IE6 is unbelievably slow, by which I mean for a page to load
it can take 40-60 seconds whereas normally it is only a second or two. I
have 512K broadband and normally don't have slow download problems. Hence
the look at processes running.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nanouk

Yes, "28 Processes Running and 4x svchost.exe" is absolutely normal
and is not the root cause of your issue. Try the following:

The following three Windows XP utilities should be used monthly:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Nanouk" <nanouk@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message:

| Hi all
|
| In Task Manager "Processes Running" shows over 28 running incl 4x
| syshost.exe when no apps are open . Is this normal? I have Norton AV and
| Zone Alarm Pro running but why so many processes?
|
| Also sometimes IE6 is unbelievably slow, by which I mean for a page to load
| it can take 40-60 seconds whereas normally it is only a second or two. I
| have 512K broadband and normally don't have slow download problems. Hence
| the look at processes running.
|
| Any help greatly appreciated.
|
| Nanouk

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Yes, "28 Processes Running and 4x svchost.exe" is absolutely normal
> and is not the root cause of your issue. Try the following:
>
> The following three Windows XP utilities should be used monthly:
>
> Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

> How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

> HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

Your MVPness leaves out the most typical cause for his programs running slow
(i.e. The OP's IE6 running slow), and you neglected to list that in your
advice. Clean up the startup items that are totally unnecessary, so to free
up resources.

chen

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Actually, most peoples have more than 28 processes running ;-). I have
around 100 :).

Nanouk: What page are you trying to load? A page with many pictures? A lot
of flash things? And, is the computer "lagging" during these 40-60 seconds?
I.e. can you write, open programs, etc as normal?

// Chen