drive swap

My sister's motherboard died and I want to put her
old hard drive in an old PC of mine. Windows won't
boot in the new PC. What do I have to do to make
this work?

Thanks

kawipoo

When you install XP it is installed using the drivers for the motherboard
chipset. Having changed motherboards the drivers no longer work and the PC
will not boot.
Most people use the Windows XP CD and do a repair. (essentially reinstall
windows over the old windows but the programs which have been installed
remain in tact) This works most of the time but not guaranteed. Once you
complete the repair you must reinstall all the latest windows updates.
"dsp" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sister's motherboard died and I want to put her
> old hard drive in an old PC of mine. Windows won't
> boot in the new PC. What do I have to do to make
> this work?
>
> Thanks

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"dsp" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| My sister's motherboard died and I want to put her
| old hard drive in an old PC of mine. Windows won't
| boot in the new PC. What do I have to do to make
| this work?
|
| Thanks

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"dsp" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sister's motherboard died and I want to put her
> old hard drive in an old PC of mine. Windows won't
> boot in the new PC. What do I have to do to make
> this work?
>
> Thanks

Are you trying to use that drive with the system still on it?

Also, do you have your drive jumpered properly (master to slave, or primary
and secondary) then set in the BIOS accordingly?

Hi, dsp.

To ADD that old HD to an existing WinXP system as additional storage is
pretty simple. Just physically install it (cables, jumpers, BIOS settings,
etc.), then reboot and use Disk Management to assign or reassign drive
letters, or to delete, create and format partitions to fit your new
environment.

To install that HD as the BOOT DEVICE in the other computer, though, is a
whole different story - as the others have suggested. Especially if you
want to boot from the existing WinXP installation on that HD - which has
been customized (during Setup) to fit the former hardware environment.
You'll have to run Setup again, which really means to install WinXP all over
again in the new (to WinXP) computer.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA