P4P800E SATA Problem

I just built a new pc using the P4P800E MB with the current bios. Not
using raid. Running WinXP Pro. One hard drive on 1st IDE channel,
DVD burner on 2nd IDE channel, and one hard drive on SATA. The OS in
installed on the SATA drive. Sometimes the computer will hang up, and
when I reboot the SATA drive is not recognized as being present.
After powering off, unplugging, and replugging the SATA cable, it then
shows up in the bios and I am able to change boot priority and reboot
as normal. This problem has been reoccurring periodically and I have
not been able to track it down. I have tried both SATA slots and new
SATA cables with no difference. Is it more likely the MB that is
causing the problem, or the HD? Sometimes it will run for days, and
other times just for minutes before this happens.

I have a similar problem. I have only one SATA drive and one DVD
Burner. I don't notice hangs, but half the time I reboot now it
doesn't the detect the drive. Powering down and back on usually fixes
the problem, but then it happens again next morning. This has just
started happening since I upgraded my bios to 1004. Before it was 1002
and had only happened once. My SATA is on the IDE and the Promise
Controller is disabled.

The only other thing I had done was install the USB2 driver in WinXP
Pro. I had disabled USB Legacy support in the BIOS, but since
reenabled it and set the USB to HiSpeed.
Sorry, I don't have a solution.

-B

"lisowski@optonline.net" wrote
> On boot-up I noticed garbling of the audio from the on-board chip, so I
> disabled on board audio in the bios and put in an Audigy MP+

Hi,

I had that problem with the onboard SoundMax audio, but after playing around
I found that by unchecking a couple of audio options the start-up grable
went away, see picture:

http://img91.exs.cx/img91/3450/P4C800E_Audio.jpg

Wayne ][