P5A and P5A-B 56K modem/WIN XP incompatible?

jt

This one's making me nuts....

XP Pro on either an A or an A-B does not want to play well with a variety of
USR/3Com ISA or external serial modems, or a Motorola V.34 (28.8) external
modem. If the port opens at all it may or may not dial, then may or may not
connect, with error 692's & 737's. I have tried disabling echo for the
737's. If the port doesn't open a hardware failure dialog is generated, but
if I try again it might dial, & if it does it might connect successfully.
Once connected it reports ( and my ISP's modem status page confirms) speeds
between 45,333 & 50.6 K.
I've tried 4 internal ISA & two external serial modems & they all behave
in the same maddeningly intermittent manner. I've also tried 2 A-boards & 2
A-B boards.
The real kicker is, I can load WIN 98SE on the same hardware & every
modem works flawlessly.
Is there some compatibility issue with XP & the serial devices, DUN or
SOMETHING???
The fact that '98 works seems to me that the issue lies in XP....

P5-A rev. 1.06
A-B rev. 1.04

Any & all assistance will be much appreciated, & it will make my wife
happy 'cause I'll not be pacing & muttering to myself any more.

Jim

JT wrote:
> This one's making me nuts....
>
> XP Pro on either an A or an A-B does not want to play well with a variety of
> USR/3Com ISA or external serial modems, or a Motorola V.34 (28.8) external
> modem. If the port opens at all it may or may not dial, then may or may not
> connect, with error 692's & 737's. I have tried disabling echo for the
> 737's. If the port doesn't open a hardware failure dialog is generated, but
> if I try again it might dial, & if it does it might connect successfully.
> Once connected it reports ( and my ISP's modem status page confirms) speeds
> between 45,333 & 50.6 K.
> I've tried 4 internal ISA & two external serial modems & they all behave
> in the same maddeningly intermittent manner. I've also tried 2 A-boards & 2
> A-B boards.
> The real kicker is, I can load WIN 98SE on the same hardware & every
> modem works flawlessly.
> Is there some compatibility issue with XP & the serial devices, DUN or
> SOMETHING???
> The fact that '98 works seems to me that the issue lies in XP....
>
> P5-A rev. 1.06
> A-B rev. 1.04
>
> Any & all assistance will be much appreciated, & it will make my wife
> happy 'cause I'll not be pacing & muttering to myself any more.
>
> Jim

Just a thought... Check the status of the serial (COMM) ports in CMOS
(BIOS). If they are disabled, try enabling them.

Good luck,

Steven

jt

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the response.
I've tried with both COM 1 & 2 enabled, and also tried disabling COM 2, and
only using COM 1. Both configurations behave the same.
What led me to this is an issue I experienced when loading Red Hat 9, and
I couldn't get different modems to work. Not knowing RH9 well enough to know
what I was doing troubleshooting a modem, then loaded WIN98SE, and the
modems in question worked well. I then decided to just make an XP Pro box,
which is when I discovered the modems/serial port intermittent issue.
Another WIN98 reload confirmed the modems in fact work correctly. I then
purchased two more P5-type mobos, and each one behaves the same with XP Pro.
And here we are....
Forgot to mention, all are flashed to the beta 1011.005 BIOS, but they
behaved the same with 1010 BIOS.
Another strange thing, is I have two other P5A-B's, one running XP Pro
and the other running XP Home, both with beta 1011.005 BIOS, with no modem
issues whatsoever!! And yes, I've tried the modems from them on the
problematic mobos.
This has led to much cursing & gnashing of teeth........
Ideas, anyone?
Jim