How to boot from CD

MB is A7V8X. OS is W2k. I've gone into bios and set to boot from CD but it
appears to ignore the CD on bootup. Any ideas on how to get this feature to
work? Do I need to do something in autoexec file also?

--
Colonel Blip
colonel.blip@nospambigfoot.com

Someone

Check the bios settings for boot order. You may have the hard drive
booting before the CD can be accessed.

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:23:29 -0500, "Colonel Blip"
<col.blip@nospambigfoot.com> wrote:

>MB is A7V8X. OS is W2k. I've gone into bios and set to boot from CD but it
>appears to ignore the CD on bootup. Any ideas on how to get this feature to
>work? Do I need to do something in autoexec file also?
>
>--
>Colonel Blip
>colonel.blip@nospambigfoot.com
>Remove "nospam" when replying.

That is how I have it set. That's what is puzzling.

<someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Check the bios settings for boot order. You may have the hard drive
>> booting before the CD can be accessed.
>> SNIP

Colonel Blip
colonel.blip@nospambigfoot.com
Remove "nospam" when replying.

Not trying to install w2k this way. Have a different bootable system to try
off of the CD.

--
Colonel Blip
colonel.blip@nospambigfoot.com
Remove "nospam" when replying.

Not all CDs are bootable, it may be that the problem is the CD itself.

Colonel Blip wrote:

> MB is A7V8X. OS is W2k. I've gone into bios and set to boot from CD but it
> appears to ignore the CD on bootup. Any ideas on how to get this feature to
> work? Do I need to do something in autoexec file also?

It is bootable. Even checked on my laptop and works fine.

--
Colonel Blip
colonel.blip@nospambigfoot.com
Remove "nospam" when replying.

Lazarus

when you set it in the bios to boot from cd...........

you did SAVE the new bios setting didnt you?

"Colonel Blip" <col.blip@nospambigfoot.com> wrote in message
> It is bootable. Even checked on my laptop and works fine.
>
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> Not all CDs are bootable, it may be that the problem is the CD
> >> itself.
> >>

> --
> Colonel Blip
> colonel.blip@nospambigfoot.com
> Remove "nospam" when replying.

yogi

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

I have not used Win2K for a while but I see that with Win XP you see a
message at the bottom of the screen asking you to press any key to
boot from the CD or it defaults to your next bootable device. watch
your bootup for any messages.

Cheers

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:23:29 -0500, "Colonel Blip"
<col.blip@nospambigfoot.com> wrote:

>MB is A7V8X. OS is W2k. I've gone into bios and set to boot from CD but it
>appears to ignore the CD on bootup. Any ideas on how to get this feature to
>work? Do I need to do something in autoexec file also?

eTrust EZ Antivirus Protection
Version 6.2.0.28
Engine Version 11.5.0.0
©2003 Computer Associates International, Inc
Update Version 8568
Update Date Sep 6 2004

Sorry for the extremely late reply. I just saw this posting. My win2K and
XP pro CD's are not bootable disks but my friends XP Home is. I did however
stumble upon a website that instructs you in the creation of bootable
versions of both. Very slick (at least to a novice like myself). Check it
out: http://bink.nu/Bootcd/default.htm
RH