DVD/Cd Rom Drive Does not work

I recently upgraded my Operating system from Windows
Millenium to Windows XP. I have 2 cd drives. My D: drive
which is a Hitachi DVD Rom GD - 8000 and my E: drive
which is a IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32. Now for some reason my DVD
Rom drive will not play music cd's or load software. It
does recognize what is in the drive but will not play or
load program. My R/RW drive works just fine no problems
whatsoever. I have tried to uninstall it and reboot
computer but that did not work. I have switch the tabs
inside the tower so that the D: is the master and the E:
drive is the slave but that did not work either. I have
also disconnected the E: drive and rebooted the computer
and the DVD Rom drive (D:) works just fine, so I know for
a fact that there is nothing wrong with the hardware. And
one more thing, it was working fine before I installed
Windows XP.
Are there any known issues with this? Any ideas would be
really great.
Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about drive work

    John, if you know which IDE channel the drives are on, Primary or Secondary
    then rt click MyComputer>
    Select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>Dvd/Cdrom Drives>rt click on both
    drives and choose uninstall. Then go to IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers>Primary or
    Secondary which ever has the drives installed
    on and choose uninstall. Restart and let XP reinstall the devices.
    "John" <carpenterja@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I recently upgraded my Operating system from Windows
    > Millenium to Windows XP. I have 2 cd drives. My D: drive
    > which is a Hitachi DVD Rom GD - 8000 and my E: drive
    > which is a IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32. Now for some reason my DVD
    > Rom drive will not play music cd's or load software. It
    > does recognize what is in the drive but will not play or
    > load program. My R/RW drive works just fine no problems
    > whatsoever. I have tried to uninstall it and reboot
    > computer but that did not work. I have switch the tabs
    > inside the tower so that the D: is the master and the E:
    > drive is the slave but that did not work either. I have
    > also disconnected the E: drive and rebooted the computer
    > and the DVD Rom drive (D:) works just fine, so I know for
    > a fact that there is nothing wrong with the hardware. And
    > one more thing, it was working fine before I installed
    > Windows XP.
    > Are there any known issues with this? Any ideas would be
    > really great.
    > Thanks.

CD-Rom Windows XP