Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ex-Microsoft Employee Launches 'Fixing Windows 8' Initiative

Last response: in News comments
March 14, 2012 11:12:26 AM

Microsoft better fixes all or else will lost all the senior users!
Score
March 14, 2012 11:17:58 AM

Once I got used to how the Metro UI works it's not as bad as it first seemed. I still do not like it, but I can use it. Other than that so far Windows 8 seems to be stable, now if I could just get my logitec controller to work with my steam apps I would be golden. Under windows 7 there is an xbox 360 controller Xinput emulator, it doesn't work on Win 8
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
March 14, 2012 11:19:04 AM

I adore the Metro UI on my phone but having tried out the Win8 preview, I have to say it's just goddamn awful on my laptop (the fact the I couldn't just close my programs alone ignited a full blown rage attack after the first hour)
Vista was bad for MS - this is going to be a nightmare
Score
March 14, 2012 11:27:06 AM

A new Windows O.S. should be something people like for the most part, not something they just learn to deal with over time. Throw a rock through Windows Metro and start over; that'll fix it. Better yet, just focus on enhancing Windows 7 even further. Maybe some programmable hotkeys with alt & ctrl would be nice.
Score
March 14, 2012 11:30:25 AM

I tried the developer's preview and consumers preview. The consumer's preview does work better than the developer's preview when it came out. That being said, I only spent a few minutes on it before deciding I don't like it. I'm not even sure I would like it on a touch screen. There is a poor flow between the explorer view and the Metro UI. It's not easy to switch back and forth.
Score
March 14, 2012 11:36:30 AM

I agree with him. Most annoying thing for me was that you need MS account in order to run win8. I don't know how common it it in USA and western Europe but here in Poland NO ONE uses Windows Live ID or hotmail... Also I couldn't close metro apps so I gave up after 30 min or so of using win8 preview edition.

I think that most ppl would prefer using win7 with some kind of application that looks like Metro UI over win8
Score
March 14, 2012 11:45:01 AM

Microsoft needs to just come out of the closet and say it's Windows Tablet Edition and call it good... It's obvious that that is what it is made for and not a desktop....

The fact that they are indeed trying to sell it as a desktop OS AND a Tablet OS is beyond belief...

What's even worse? They made a frickin windows SERVER edition THE SAME FREAKIN WAY...

M$ has either lost its mind or they are bored and just screwing around with win8....
Score
March 14, 2012 11:46:04 AM

tmk221I agree with him. Most annoying thing for me was that you need MS account in order to run win8. I don't know how common it it in USA and western Europe but here in Poland NO ONE uses Windows Live ID or hotmail... Also I couldn't close metro apps so I gave up after 30 min or so of using win8 preview edition.I think that most ppl would prefer using win7 with some kind of application that looks like Metro UI over win8

Also in Romania noboby use Windows Live ID or hotmail, and i belive that this situation is in many coutries.
Score
March 14, 2012 11:48:03 AM

Looks like most people will be staying with Windows 7 until Windows 9 comes out. And unless they make 79 more user-friendly, it might well be even longer.

I love Windows 7

If they refuse to give people what they really want, instead forcing some vision of the future on them, they will stay with known or switch to Mac.
Score
March 14, 2012 11:49:07 AM

Doh. Unless they make 9 more user-friendly. typo in my previous comment.
Score
March 14, 2012 11:49:26 AM

I haven't tried the consumer preview yet, I don't dare to. Under the developer preview I tried to install flash on IE but couldn't as it wanted IE to be closed. And where the hell do you do that when launched from the Metro UI?
I consider myself close to a power user, but I simply had to give up on the Metro. Simply not worth the hassle to learn when you have W7 around.
Score
March 14, 2012 11:49:51 AM

No freaking edit button, really Toms?

EDIT: AH-HAH!

In order to edit, you need to be reading the comments in the forums, not under the article itself. At the top of the comments under the article is a link to read them on the forums.

Hard to find, could be made easier, perhaps.
Score
March 14, 2012 11:52:13 AM

Anyone else notice that MS likes to throw out a /sadface OS every 3rd version or so?

3.0, 95, ME(depending on certain things, I liked it better than 95/98) XP... at first..., Vista(till it got fixed as well but too late, I like it now), and now.... win 8....

At least the previous failures WERE USABLE!
Score
March 14, 2012 11:53:29 AM

Hate all these new "improved" UIs. =/
Sadly Ubuntu is moving in the same direction. I'm completely lost in their latest desktop interface.
Score
March 14, 2012 11:53:51 AM

i tried the developer preview, the desktop was still there and it ran retardedly fast?

has the public beta been a step back?
Score
Anonymous
March 14, 2012 11:55:44 AM

After trying to live with the preview, I have to say that I agree with this guy. I am a bit of a MS fanboy, and Windows 8 will most definitely drive me to mac or linux. MS is throwing away their dominance of the desktop to try to get a slice of the tablet/phone market that they may never achieve.
Score
March 14, 2012 11:56:08 AM

Microsoft is playing the long game.
If people get used to the interface, they'll look for the same experience on their smart phones/tablets.

*IF*
Score
March 14, 2012 11:56:39 AM

also, with large blocks, it takes longer movement of mice to move through given number of programs.

MS is making a huge mistake here. But again, I guess windows 8 is likely a experiments and they don't really expect people to switch from win 7 anyway.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:02:21 PM

So much for the fancy new UI. It seems they eliminated everything users are used to.

This is why Mac sales keep going up.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:04:47 PM

This is Microsoft's equivalent of the "New Coke" formula from Coca-Cola. Not only are sales not going to take off, but Microsoft's Board is going to realize that Steve Ballmer is not in touch with consumers and will end up just being a liability for the company.

Windows 8 is the right approach with the wrong implementation. What's worse is that we power users are going to get an earful from the OSX hippies.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:10:32 PM

Why can't Microsoft just things that work alone. If they wanted metro UI that bad why didn't they just have it as an add on like media center, or before you log in give you the option to log into Metro UI or Windows classic, problem solved and every ones happy.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:11:32 PM

So I figured out pretty quickly how to navigate on the preview... but I never liked it (and I had a touchscreen PC). It reminds me of what they did with the ribbon bar on office... added another way to do the same things that menu's were doing a fine job of - adding complexity, additional keystrokes/clicks for many basic functions, and little value. In this case they're trying to jump on the touch bandwagon... but the app... while looking like a phone app... feels like a poorly integrated PC app. You install windows 8 and it feels like you've added a touch application to windows 7 that breaks a lot of basic functionality (start menu) and makes the things you used to do easily from start more difficult and time consuming (even with a touchscreen). They REALLY need to re-visit the touch/kb/mouse balance and if they want to integrate touch more comprehensively (which is fine) they absolutley MUST do it in a way that is TRANSPARENT to the vast majority of users who will be using kb/mouse 95% of the time even with a touchscreen pc.
Score
Anonymous
March 14, 2012 12:14:10 PM

Its so funny to me to see people struggle with a few UI changes. Change really exposes the people who can't quuickly adapt and think outside of the box. That is why you see so many people whining about Metro. They're scared people will realize how technologically inferior they really are.

Metro and the 'revised' desktop are simple to use and figure out if you maybe google a couple of things. Before long there will be all kinds of videos to learn. I would put one up if I had the time, but for now I'll just sit back and snicker.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:19:13 PM

Has Microsoft completely taken the wrong direction with Windows 8?

YES.

I try it, it is IMO the worst OS that I have seen, I said this long ago but now that I have tested, I say it again: I will skip Windows 8, just like I skipped Vista and Windows Me.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:23:50 PM

You guys are really stuborn. While I get that some of you find the changes weird for for the worse....it's not like that. Things change. And this time...I must admit it isn't for better, but neither for worse. If that kids dad used Windows, he should have known that he should try some keyboard commands. Alb-Tab? Just pressing the Windows Key?.

I find Metro really fun. I doesn't fit so well in the overall picture, but it does work. And it's also very fast [andstylish I might add]. For laptop users, I only have to say that the Consumer Preview reduced my battery life with 1 hour, compared to Windows 7.
Score
a b * Windows 8
March 14, 2012 12:25:33 PM

It almost seems like they are expecting people to learn two distinctly different interfaces in the same OS:
1- The one with the boxes
2- The one that looks like older versions of Windows without the functionality

Why would you make an OS that is less mouse-friendly? I want all my junk in one place with as few click as necessary. Wouldn't this line of thinking even help simplify the touch interface?
Score
March 14, 2012 12:26:29 PM

Get out of your shells and try it out. My mom barely knows to use a PC/laptop or whatever. She knew the basics to W7 and I just showed her how to get around W8. It is not complicated at all. That kid didn't want to help his father at all, just to prove a point?

If you suck at mathematics without learning anything, that means math is useless?
Score
March 14, 2012 12:27:52 PM

I just don't understand why it isn't blatantly obvious to the Microsoft staff that this OS design is a horrible idea in every way you look at it. I've been testing it since the first developer preview and was praying that they would come to their senses and change EVERYTHING about it before its too late. For tablets, GREAT, I see the value there, but for users with a KEYBOARD and MOUSE, you know Microsoft? you DO sell such devices...its absolutely inefficient in every way. It's actually a giant leap backwards in advancement. How is reading TEXT and a colored tile better than a unique icon that people come to recognize instantly, even if the icon is upside down! Now they have to slowly scan through all these colored tiles reading the names of the app they want. Absolutely horrible. Why not progress the Icon, which hasn't even come close to its full potential. Add animation to icons to make them even more recognizable? Stuff like that, dont destroy all the great features that make Windows what it is (Start menu, min/max windows, close windows with "X" etc etc).

Can't wait to see Microsoft go down for this
Score
March 14, 2012 12:28:26 PM

Or perhaps Microsoft's Pentium 4? They'll push it for a while before going back and starting again from Windows 7, just as Intel returned to the Pentium 3 architecture to create the Intel Core series of processors.

Windows 8 with a compulsory Metro (or even with Metro by default) will be a commercial disaster. Corporates will reject it utterly and consumers will switch to Mac (hell, even this MS fanboi is considering an OSX future).

Release Windows 8 with a standard desktop by default and a Metro 'mode' and you *might* convert the masses over a few years. If not, dump it (like you dumped Active Desktop - remember that?) and stick to what you know.

One other thing - where's Media Center gone?
Score
Anonymous
March 14, 2012 12:29:10 PM

If you don't press the start button, it seems like a faster windows7.
My main issue is apps running in Metro aren't accessible from the taskbar and open desktop items aren't quickly accessed from the metroUI. They have the two pretty much running separately. If they did something so we didn't have two different list of open apps i'd be happy with it... until then i just don't press start.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:30:30 PM

Also, one thing seems to be omited every time, in every article about Windows 8

You don't absolutely need a WINDOWS LIVE or Hotmail ID.

I could use my Yahoo! ID or even my Opera mail. So maybe it works with others too.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:32:18 PM

Has anyone seen a screenshot of what Windows 8 looks like once you install all your personal applications? Well, they definitely don't have pretty little tiles like all the default tiles do. I installed over 25 programs and I was left with PAGES and PAGES of grey generic tiles with a "X" in the middle. They all looked the same! How is that better than an ICON?! Not to mention they were literally in no specific order at all, I had MSWORD on one page, then EXCEL on another page in the middle somewhere. Absolutely insane. As a Network Admin, I cannot imagine less knowledgeable consumers trying to operate this, will be much worse than the video above.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:33:05 PM

stephenkendrickOne other thing - where's Media Center gone?

It's still there. I tried it yesterday. It's identical to the one in Windows 7, so...

Just Open the Metro Screen (Windows Key) or the Charms Bar (Windows+C) and just start typing. The "Search" function is seamesly integrated.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:35:34 PM

tiangMicrosoft better fixes all or else will lost all the senior users!

It will loose more than just the senior users...
Score
Anonymous
March 14, 2012 12:35:49 PM

I am not against the new interface, but I find that most of the time my main complaint is that I there is not enough options. I would like to be prompted at installation something like: "Do you want to use the new and awesome metro interface (default) or the old and boring GUI".
I know they don't do it because everyone would just keep the old things but still... I find that software often lacks options!
I am going to go on stage full of sweat stains on my shirt and scream "OPTIONS, OPTIONS, OPTIONS!!!!!"
Score
Anonymous
March 14, 2012 12:36:16 PM

It was like this for every version of windows to some degree.

When XP came out I had a hatred for it and insisted I'd be staying with windows 98 SE.

When Vista came out I had a hatred for it and I still do!

When 7 came out I had a small initial dislike for it but now it is my OS of choice
(with XP, the latest ubuntu, and Lion all more or less tied in second)

Windows 8 does not look like it will be for me at all. I will be using it and trying it out
but I will not be making any long term change overs for quite a while. Seems they
have some issues to sort out.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:38:52 PM

cryioAlso, one thing seems to be omited every time, in every article about Windows 8You don't absolutely need a WINDOWS LIVE or Hotmail ID.I could use my Yahoo! ID or even my Opera mail. So maybe it works with others too.

So your saying that your fine with the fact that you literally need to log into your computer with an Email address, and have network connectivity. Have you tried it? It takes 3 times as long as a local user account would. Not to mention this is going to be a NIGHTMARE to support in the workplace, let alone at home for new users.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:44:32 PM

That video speaks volumes. Just when the older generation was starting to get into PCs and technology, they come up with this. I mean, the dad had a clue of what he was trying to get to, but it just wasn't there and it wasn't intuitive enough to help him.
I don't know why this guy is not a Microsoft employee anymore, but if it has something to do with this, then Ms is in for a rude awakening. If they start going the Apple path ("my way or the highway", says the CEO and everybody has to bow down) they will soon realize that Windows users are not the sheeple they expect them to be. Add this to the fact that corporations are very innovation-unfriendly and conservative with regard of the interface and OS they're using and you have a perfect recipe for disaster.
Score
Anonymous
March 14, 2012 12:50:09 PM

You can create a local user account during installation by skipping the network set up step
really...
its an option...
and it logs in really quickly into that local account too!
and the whole "control userpasswords2" trick also works so you can boot straight into your local account.
Score
Anonymous
March 14, 2012 12:53:12 PM

Its awful on desktop, an absolute shambles.
Score
March 14, 2012 12:56:18 PM

Now now... settle down. Switching from Windows 3.X to Windows 95 was really scary as well. We survived! I'm sure we will survive the change to Windows 8. ;p

Score
March 14, 2012 1:05:06 PM

I like to think of Windows 8 as an experiment. Companies like MS need to take these type of risks in order to stay alive. W7 is the best OS I've ever used and is incredibly stable for me and looks nice but MS can't keep dishing out the same OS over and over, they have to play around once in a while. If W8 looked the same you would all be complaining how it's the same OS Windows 7 is but with an 8 instead of a 7 instead of Metro. It's a confusing UI but it takes time getting used to and some learning, we'll have to see if the average user is willing to do that.
Score
Anonymous
March 14, 2012 1:07:39 PM

OMG

i had to use alt+f4 to close pin ball how pathetic is that
what were they thinking..im a advanced/power user but not a hacker kind of guy.. i do find it difficult to use it.
This is definitely not for KB and mouse environment and what's more pathetic is that ms plans to dominate the tab wars with this OS which will surely an epic fail
Score
Anonymous
March 14, 2012 1:22:11 PM

All these bloody idiots whining their butt off about something no one is forcing them to buy, not to mention is a consumer preview. a BETA. so shush, go home, do something useful with your life.
Score
March 14, 2012 1:22:24 PM

Give me a Start button, a quick launch toolbar and a clean desktop. I hate having lots of icons on my desktop. Those big squares are just icons in a new, uglier shape. Now i got more incentive to learn linux.
Score
March 14, 2012 1:28:16 PM

If they implement this guy's suggestions and add a minimize button, I bet that M$ makes the minimization process look like a swirly flush.
Score
March 14, 2012 1:29:09 PM

Windows 8, not my idea. I'm happy with Win 7 until the molecular transistor shows in my next build.
Score
March 14, 2012 1:31:05 PM

jlats26Has anyone seen a screenshot of what Windows 8 looks like once you install all your personal applications? Well, they definitely don't have pretty little tiles like all the default tiles do. I installed over 25 programs and I was left with PAGES and PAGES of grey generic tiles with a "X" in the middle. They all looked the same! How is that better than an ICON?! Not to mention they were literally in no specific order at all, I had MSWORD on one page, then EXCEL on another page in the middle somewhere. Absolutely insane. As a Network Admin, I cannot imagine less knowledgeable consumers trying to operate this, will be much worse than the video above.

Here, here, sit right down, drink this glass of water, it's ok, son, it's ok. It was just a nightmare, luckily, your old software isn't going anywhere, you have Windows 7. It's ok, there..
Score
March 14, 2012 1:34:41 PM

jlats26I just don't understand why it isn't blatantly obvious to the Microsoft staff that this OS design is a horrible idea in every way you look at it.
Several years ago I came across a statement from M$ in relation to their development efforts:

Quote:
We at Microsoft always like to think we can improve on a standard.

Personally, I think that still sums up M$. "Standards" are made to be reinvented, according to them, and in doing so, they demonstrate that they fail to understand the purpose of a standard.

My bet is that 8 will be the next release in a history of M$ O$' that no one wants or needs.
Score
!