Install XP on old computer?

Knack

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

My computer has an AMD K6-III 450 CPU, 256 MB RAM, and 20GB HDD. However,
its mainboard is baby AT (maintained contact power button; not momentary
contact) and it has a non ACPI BIOS of the latest revision March 1998.

I really don't need power management.

I know that Win2000 will not install on this system, but I heard that WinXP
was better with hardware than Win2000. That's one of the reasons why Win2000
was relatively unsuccessful with the general public.

Is WinXP installable on this system?

kawipoo

If Windows 2000 does not install Windows XP probably will not.
"Knack" <zok9NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My computer has an AMD K6-III 450 CPU, 256 MB RAM, and 20GB HDD. However,
> its mainboard is baby AT (maintained contact power button; not momentary
> contact) and it has a non ACPI BIOS of the latest revision March 1998.
>
> I really don't need power management.
>
> I know that Win2000 will not install on this system, but I heard that
WinXP
> was better with hardware than Win2000. That's one of the reasons why
Win2000
> was relatively unsuccessful with the general public.
>
> Is WinXP installable on this system?

i have my moms p.c. running a k6-2 350 with 18 gig hd and 196 megs of ram and it works fine.

resource wise you should be fine
specific hardware driver support for some of the mobo components may hold you back or possibly an add in card but as far as speed and ram and hd size you're okay