Help: Header?

I was looking at an article on an ASUS motherboard and it mentioned it
provided extra ports via a header. What exactly is a header?

Thanks.

Bill Cherepy
Grayson, GA
3 answers Last reply
More about help header

    A header as you are asking or Header Bracket is a thin piece of metal that
    is shaped like the end of a PCI or PCI-Express card that holds some form of
    connector and is placed in unused card slots. This gives you the ability to
    add device plugs for devices they did not have room for on the back panel of
    the motherboard for things like serial connectors, extra usb plugs, and the
    like.

    Bill Cherepy wrote:
    > I was looking at an article on an ASUS motherboard and it mentioned it
    > provided extra ports via a header. What exactly is a header?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bill Cherepy
    > Grayson, GA

    Bill,

    A header is a set of pins on the motherboard that provide a place to
    connect an external item, in example, the USB ports on the front of a
    case need to be hooked up to the USB header pins on the Board.

    Rob

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:16:43 GMT, Rob <robc@insightbb.spambone.com>
    wrote:

    >Bill,
    >
    >A header is a set of pins on the motherboard that provide a place to
    >connect an external item, in example, the USB ports on the front of a
    >case need to be hooked up to the USB header pins on the Board.

    Thanks, Rob.

    Bill
    Bill Cherepy
    Grayson, GA