P4T-E Processor Upgrade

I was reading TomsHardware and came across an article that suggested I
could upgrade my computer's processor:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040830/index.html

Now yes, that article addresses 473 pin sockets and my P4T-E has a 478
pin socket already so I didn't need the adapter, but the PowerLeap site
said they had a processor that would work with my mbo, and I said what
the heck and I ordered one -- the 2.8 mhz processor with 400 mhz bus
speed. It wasn't too expensive -- well, $200. But PowerLeap said it
would work as long as my bios are above v. 1007. I'm running 1008 beta,
dated 6/27/2003.

Here's the PowerLeap site: http://www.powerleap.com/

So today the processor arrived and it's just the processor. No Intel
box. No booklet. No instructions. Not even a tube of thermal goo.

And now I'm reconsidering what I need to do. If my Asus P4T-E is set to
jumperless mode, do I just remove the old processor fan and processor,
pop the new processor in, find me some thermal goo and put the
fan/heatsink back on, and turn the computer on and see what happens?
Will I need to reset the bios? Do I need to review that CPU ratio
multiplier table in the mbo manual again? It's been almost three years
since I've done this; I really don't remember how I did it all before.
Please -- if you've been down this road, can you give me some guidance?

All I want is to reduce the time it takes my computer to process video.
I have a 1.9 ghz P4 now. Maybe if I can make this new processor work
I'll see a bit of an improvement. Maybe?

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
13 answers Last reply
More about processor upgrade

    Bill Anderson <billanderson601@DONTWANTSPAMyahoo.com> writes:
    > I was reading TomsHardware and came across an article that suggested I
    > could upgrade my computer's processor:
    >
    > http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040830/index.html
    > So today the processor arrived and it's just the processor. No Intel
    > box. No booklet. No instructions. Not even a tube of thermal goo.
    > And now I'm reconsidering what I need to do.

    That P4T-E is a 400-MHz FSB and uses RDRAM, which Samsung isn't making
    anymore. If you're thinking that you'll need more memory, too, then
    I'd send the processor back for a refund and buy a new mainboard.

    Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

    In article <413fcf92$0$6911$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, Bill Anderson
    <billanderson601@DONTWANTSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    > I was reading TomsHardware and came across an article that suggested I
    > could upgrade my computer's processor:
    >
    > http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040830/index.html
    >
    > Now yes, that article addresses 473 pin sockets and my P4T-E has a 478
    > pin socket already so I didn't need the adapter, but the PowerLeap site
    > said they had a processor that would work with my mbo, and I said what
    > the heck and I ordered one -- the 2.8 mhz processor with 400 mhz bus
    > speed. It wasn't too expensive -- well, $200. But PowerLeap said it
    > would work as long as my bios are above v. 1007. I'm running 1008 beta,
    > dated 6/27/2003.
    >
    > Here's the PowerLeap site: http://www.powerleap.com/
    >
    > So today the processor arrived and it's just the processor. No Intel
    > box. No booklet. No instructions. Not even a tube of thermal goo.
    >
    > And now I'm reconsidering what I need to do. If my Asus P4T-E is set to
    > jumperless mode, do I just remove the old processor fan and processor,
    > pop the new processor in, find me some thermal goo and put the
    > fan/heatsink back on, and turn the computer on and see what happens?
    > Will I need to reset the bios? Do I need to review that CPU ratio
    > multiplier table in the mbo manual again? It's been almost three years
    > since I've done this; I really don't remember how I did it all before.
    > Please -- if you've been down this road, can you give me some guidance?
    >
    > All I want is to reduce the time it takes my computer to process video.
    > I have a 1.9 ghz P4 now. Maybe if I can make this new processor work
    > I'll see a bit of an improvement. Maybe?

    This is the nearest match to what I think you bought. I found this
    in the Pentium 4 section (a long list):

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL7EY

    The family code is 0F29 hex. This info is needed for microcode loading
    and finding evidence of a microcode in a certain version of BIOS,
    implies a level of support for the processor. Note that this processor
    isn't listed on the cpusupport page:
    http://usa.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    Downloading the 1007e BIOS from the Asus page gives these microcodes.
    Note there is no 0F29 hex in this BIOS:

    Version UpdateID Date CPUID Checksum LoadVers Platform
    00000001 00000012 11.01.2002 00000F0A 26CA4178 00000001 00000004
    00000001 00000028 12.01.2002 00000F12 2F6967B9 00000001 00000004
    00000001 00000001 29.05.2001 00000F21 78CDDD37 00000001 00000004
    00000001 00000008 30.07.2001 00000F23 7483278F 00000001 00000004
    00000001 0000000B 14.01.2002 00000F24 68298430 00000001 00000004
    00000001 00000003 11.02.2002 00000F13 3793F1BB 00000001 00000004
    00000001 00000024 28.06.2002 00000F27 D7490795 00000001 00000004

    The 1008.004 beta BIOS has these microcodes - and 0F29 is there:
    Version UpdateID Date CPUID Checksum LoadVers Platform
    00000001 00000014 16.07.2002 00000F0A 64731550 00000001 00000004
    00000001 0000002C 16.07.2002 00000F12 22CA8EB8 00000001 00000004
    00000001 00000001 29.05.2001 00000F21 78CDDD37 00000001 00000004
    00000001 00000008 30.07.2001 00000F23 7483278F 00000001 00000004
    00000001 00000018 07.11.2002 00000F24 BAAFD460 00000001 00000004
    00000001 00000004 17.07.2002 00000F13 B0C33AA0 00000001 00000004
    00000001 00000011 14.04.2003 00000F29 E2A5CACA 00000001 00000004 <--
    00000001 00000033 06.11.2002 00000F27 3D579E37 00000001 00000004

    I would recommend flashing the 1008.004 BIOS, to improve the
    odds that the upgrade will go successfully. The board might
    still do something with your current BIOS, if you are at all
    concerned with the odds of flashing successfully. If it didn't
    boot with your current BIOS, you could always put the old
    processor back, and then try flashing. (Your choice.)
    If all that is missing is microcode, you might survive without
    it, or you could even find a copy of CTMC and install your own
    microcode, without flashing the whole BIOS chip. (A bit more work.)
    The new processor has to be installed in the socket, to update
    with CTMC.

    Before you flash, record all your BIOS settings. There might be
    some that you have customized, and are not the default value, so
    it is handy to write them down somewhere. I recommend
    a MSDOS boot floppy based method of flashing, first backing up
    the current BIOS onto the floppy, with the flashing program,
    and then attempting to flash with the new BIOS. If the flash doesn't
    look like it is progressing well, then, without leaving the program,
    flash the backup copy of BIOS image back into the flash chip.
    When you get into the new BIOS at startup, do a "Load Setup
    Defaults", followed by a save and exit. After that, you can restore
    your custom settings.

    A copy of aflash221 is available on the download page, as well as
    clicking BIOS, then Beta, to get to the beta BIOS download.

    http://usa.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4T-E&Type=All

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul wrote:
    > In article <413fcf92$0$6911$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, Bill Anderson
    > <billanderson601@DONTWANTSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    <snip>

    I'm running 1008 beta,
    >>dated 6/27/2003.

    <snip>

    > I would recommend flashing the 1008.004 BIOS, to improve the
    > odds that the upgrade will go successfully.

    <snip>

    Thanks for the info, Paul. I went to the site you suggested and found
    that the latest version of the 1008 beta BIOS seems to be the one I
    downloaded and flashed back in January of this year: 1008e004.zip.
    That's the name of the file Asus offers for download, and that's the
    name of the file I still have sitting the download section of my hard
    drive. So that's gotta be the one I used. I flashed from a floppy just
    like I was instructed to do. I seem to recall I downloaded the file
    from a German site, as the main Asus site didn't have it at the time.
    So apparently there's no need to flash now, and the processor should
    work? Thanks.

    --
    Bill Anderson

    I am the Mighty Favog

    In article <41403e04$0$6914$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, Bill Anderson
    <billanderson601@DONTWANTSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    > Paul wrote:
    > > In article <413fcf92$0$6911$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, Bill Anderson
    > > <billanderson601@DONTWANTSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    > >
    > <snip>
    >
    > I'm running 1008 beta,
    > >>dated 6/27/2003.
    > >>
    > <snip>
    >

    > > I would recommend flashing the 1008.004 BIOS, to improve the
    > > odds that the upgrade will go successfully.
    >
    > <snip>
    >

    > Thanks for the info, Paul. I went to the site you suggested and found
    > that the latest version of the 1008 beta BIOS seems to be the one I
    > downloaded and flashed back in January of this year: 1008e004.zip.
    > That's the name of the file Asus offers for download, and that's the
    > name of the file I still have sitting the download section of my hard
    > drive. So that's gotta be the one I used. I flashed from a floppy just
    > like I was instructed to do. I seem to recall I downloaded the file
    > from a German site, as the main Asus site didn't have it at the time.
    > So apparently there's no need to flash now, and the processor should
    > work? Thanks.

    Yep. Buy a little thermal compound and you are all set.
    We'll see if Powerleap knows their stuff or not :-)
    (I.e. That 2.8GHz/FSB400 works on the board.)

    Paul

    I was not aware that there was a 400MHz FSB Pentium 4 above 2.6 GHz, but
    if there is, presumably it would work in the P4T-E. You shouldn't need
    to do anything, but I would make sure that you have the latest BIOS.
    The multiplier settings are set inside the CPU, and the motherboard
    jumpers are just plain ignored, no matter what you set them to, unless
    you have an "engineering sample" CPU (very, very unlikely).

    Bill Anderson wrote:
    > I was reading TomsHardware and came across an article that suggested I
    > could upgrade my computer's processor:
    >
    > http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040830/index.html
    >
    > Now yes, that article addresses 473 pin sockets and my P4T-E has a 478
    > pin socket already so I didn't need the adapter, but the PowerLeap site
    > said they had a processor that would work with my mbo, and I said what
    > the heck and I ordered one -- the 2.8 mhz processor with 400 mhz bus
    > speed. It wasn't too expensive -- well, $200. But PowerLeap said it
    > would work as long as my bios are above v. 1007. I'm running 1008 beta,
    > dated 6/27/2003.
    >
    > Here's the PowerLeap site: http://www.powerleap.com/
    >
    > So today the processor arrived and it's just the processor. No Intel
    > box. No booklet. No instructions. Not even a tube of thermal goo.
    >
    > And now I'm reconsidering what I need to do. If my Asus P4T-E is set to
    > jumperless mode, do I just remove the old processor fan and processor,
    > pop the new processor in, find me some thermal goo and put the
    > fan/heatsink back on, and turn the computer on and see what happens?
    > Will I need to reset the bios? Do I need to review that CPU ratio
    > multiplier table in the mbo manual again? It's been almost three years
    > since I've done this; I really don't remember how I did it all before.
    > Please -- if you've been down this road, can you give me some guidance?
    >
    > All I want is to reduce the time it takes my computer to process video.
    > I have a 1.9 ghz P4 now. Maybe if I can make this new processor work
    > I'll see a bit of an improvement. Maybe?

    Actually, Samsung is still making RDRAM. It's expensive, but it's
    available in the 16-bit 184 pin variety (which is what the P4T-E uses).
    What's not available is the 232-pin 32-bit variant, used almost
    exclusively in the P4T533 motherboard.

    Bill Anderson wrote:
    > I was reading TomsHardware and came across an article that suggested I
    > could upgrade my computer's processor:
    >
    > http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040830/index.html
    >
    > Now yes, that article addresses 473 pin sockets and my P4T-E has a 478
    > pin socket already so I didn't need the adapter, but the PowerLeap site
    > said they had a processor that would work with my mbo, and I said what
    > the heck and I ordered one -- the 2.8 mhz processor with 400 mhz bus
    > speed. It wasn't too expensive -- well, $200. But PowerLeap said it
    > would work as long as my bios are above v. 1007. I'm running 1008 beta,
    > dated 6/27/2003.
    >
    > Here's the PowerLeap site: http://www.powerleap.com/
    >
    > So today the processor arrived and it's just the processor. No Intel
    > box. No booklet. No instructions. Not even a tube of thermal goo.
    >
    > And now I'm reconsidering what I need to do. If my Asus P4T-E is set to
    > jumperless mode, do I just remove the old processor fan and processor,
    > pop the new processor in, find me some thermal goo and put the
    > fan/heatsink back on, and turn the computer on and see what happens?
    > Will I need to reset the bios? Do I need to review that CPU ratio
    > multiplier table in the mbo manual again? It's been almost three years
    > since I've done this; I really don't remember how I did it all before.
    > Please -- if you've been down this road, can you give me some guidance?
    >
    > All I want is to reduce the time it takes my computer to process video.
    > I have a 1.9 ghz P4 now. Maybe if I can make this new processor work
    > I'll see a bit of an improvement. Maybe?

    If you get this working could you post your results? I think I saw the
    same processor at Tiger a couple of months ago but some of the people in
    this group thought it was a Celeron. I also have a P4T-E and would like
    to upgrade. If I can get the same 8% overclocking to work reliably I
    should have a 3 GHz computer without having to spend $500 to change
    everything.

    Michael W. Ryder wrote:

    > Bill Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> I was reading TomsHardware and came across an article that suggested I
    >> could upgrade my computer's processor:
    >>
    >> http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040830/index.html
    >>
    >> Now yes, that article addresses 473 pin sockets and my P4T-E has a 478
    >> pin socket already so I didn't need the adapter, but the PowerLeap
    >> site said they had a processor that would work with my mbo, and I said
    >> what the heck and I ordered one -- the 2.8 mhz processor with 400 mhz
    >> bus speed. It wasn't too expensive -- well, $200. But PowerLeap said
    >> it would work as long as my bios are above v. 1007. I'm running 1008
    >> beta, dated 6/27/2003.
    >>
    >> Here's the PowerLeap site: http://www.powerleap.com/
    >>
    >> So today the processor arrived and it's just the processor. No Intel
    >> box. No booklet. No instructions. Not even a tube of thermal goo.
    >>
    >> And now I'm reconsidering what I need to do. If my Asus P4T-E is set
    >> to jumperless mode, do I just remove the old processor fan and
    >> processor, pop the new processor in, find me some thermal goo and put
    >> the fan/heatsink back on, and turn the computer on and see what
    >> happens? Will I need to reset the bios? Do I need to review that CPU
    >> ratio multiplier table in the mbo manual again? It's been almost
    >> three years since I've done this; I really don't remember how I did it
    >> all before. Please -- if you've been down this road, can you give me
    >> some guidance?
    >>
    >> All I want is to reduce the time it takes my computer to process
    >> video. I have a 1.9 ghz P4 now. Maybe if I can make this new
    >> processor work I'll see a bit of an improvement. Maybe?
    >>

    > If you get this working could you post your results? I think I saw the
    > same processor at Tiger a couple of months ago but some of the people in
    > this group thought it was a Celeron. I also have a P4T-E and would like
    > to upgrade. If I can get the same 8% overclocking to work reliably I
    > should have a 3 GHz computer without having to spend $500 to change
    > everything.

    OK, I think I'll give it a try tonight. If you don't hear back from me,
    you'll know I've fried the computer.

    --
    Bill Anderson

    I am the Mighty Favog

    Bill Anderson wrote:
    > Michael W. Ryder wrote:
    >
    >> Bill Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was reading TomsHardware and came across an article that suggested
    >>> I could upgrade my computer's processor:
    >>>
    >>> http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040830/index.html
    >>>
    >>> Now yes, that article addresses 473 pin sockets and my P4T-E has a
    >>> 478 pin socket already so I didn't need the adapter, but the
    >>> PowerLeap site said they had a processor that would work with my mbo,
    >>> and I said what the heck and I ordered one -- the 2.8 mhz processor
    >>> with 400 mhz bus speed. It wasn't too expensive -- well, $200. But
    >>> PowerLeap said it would work as long as my bios are above v. 1007.
    >>> I'm running 1008 beta, dated 6/27/2003.
    >>>
    >>> Here's the PowerLeap site: http://www.powerleap.com/
    >>>
    >>> So today the processor arrived and it's just the processor. No Intel
    >>> box. No booklet. No instructions. Not even a tube of thermal goo.
    >>>
    >>> And now I'm reconsidering what I need to do. If my Asus P4T-E is set
    >>> to jumperless mode, do I just remove the old processor fan and
    >>> processor, pop the new processor in, find me some thermal goo and put
    >>> the fan/heatsink back on, and turn the computer on and see what
    >>> happens? Will I need to reset the bios? Do I need to review that CPU
    >>> ratio multiplier table in the mbo manual again? It's been almost
    >>> three years since I've done this; I really don't remember how I did
    >>> it all before. Please -- if you've been down this road, can you give
    >>> me some guidance?
    >>>
    >>> All I want is to reduce the time it takes my computer to process
    >>> video. I have a 1.9 ghz P4 now. Maybe if I can make this new
    >>> processor work I'll see a bit of an improvement. Maybe?
    >>>

    >> If you get this working could you post your results? I think I saw
    >> the same processor at Tiger a couple of months ago but some of the
    >> people in this group thought it was a Celeron. I also have a P4T-E
    >> and would like to upgrade. If I can get the same 8% overclocking to
    >> work reliably I should have a 3 GHz computer without having to spend
    >> $500 to change everything.
    >

    > OK, I think I'll give it a try tonight. If you don't hear back from me,
    > you'll know I've fried the computer.

    Well that didn't take long. Installation took less than 30 minutes even
    including the discovery that three of the CPU pins were slightly bent
    and I had to straighten them, carefully, with a knife blade. Dropped
    right into place after I tinkered with it.

    I used some "silicon-base" heat sink compound that I bought at the local
    Radio Shack. "Provides heat transfer from semiconductors to heat sink."
    And the heat sink/fan is the unit I got from Intel with my original
    1.9 GHz CPU. Seems to be working OK so far.

    After installing the new CPU I see this on the boot screen:

    Intel P4 2800 MHz
    RDRam Clock 400 MHz

    The WinXP System Properties/General window says:

    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    2.81GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

    Here's what's on the new CPU that I received from PowerLeap:

    Intel (m) (c) 01
    Pentium (r) 4
    2.80 GHz/512/400
    SL7EY Malay
    Q415A321

    T415A854
    0448

    Don't know what it all means, but there you are.

    When I first booted with the new CPU I hit delete right after the post
    beep just so I could enter BIOS setup and see what was going on.
    Apparently I'd have been put into BIOS setup automatically anyway,
    because when I arrived there a special message was waiting for me. It
    said the system had booted at 100 MHz just to insure I could get to the
    BIOS. And it had automatically set the clock speed option to "manual"
    and it offered me a list of speeds to choose from. The slowest speed,
    at the top of the list, was 2800 MHz, which I chose. I saved the
    change, exited BIOS, and when the system booted everything appeared to
    be working normally.

    I haven't yet put the side panel back on the computer case. When I do,
    I may encounter an overheating problem, I dunno. But the bottom line is
    that to all appearances I got what I expected to get from PowerLeap and
    it seems so far to work as advertised.

    Many many thanks to all who replied.

    --
    Bill Anderson

    I am the Mighty Favog

    In article <4140ecef$0$6919$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, Bill Anderson
    <billanderson601@DONTWANTSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    <<snip>>
    > I used some "silicon-base" heat sink compound that I bought at the local
    > Radio Shack. "Provides heat transfer from semiconductors to heat sink."
    > And the heat sink/fan is the unit I got from Intel with my original
    > 1.9 GHz CPU. Seems to be working OK so far.

    <<snip>>

    Don't put your tools away yet. Get yourself some real thermal compound,
    intended for a computer heat sink. The zinc compound you bought will
    not last forever. At least, my experience using it with electronics
    projects has been poor. A compound that is a bit thicker is what
    you want. Arctic Silver or Arctic Ceramique are popular, but there
    are a number of other products that will be within 2-3C temperature
    wise. Where I live, Arctic Silver is available at several of the
    many computer stores. (See arcticsilver.com for info on how to install
    and on what forgery products look like.)

    http://www.arcticsilver.com/
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/thermal_interface_basics.htm
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

    After the paste has had a couple of days to settle in, run a copy
    of Prime95 in "torture test" mode (mersenne.org). Use a copy of
    Motherboard Monitor (MBM5) or Asus Probe, to record temperatures
    from the motherboard. Measure room temperature, motherboard temp
    as recorded by the computer, and CPU temp.

    The two measures of cooling performance are (mobo - room) and
    (CPU - mobo). If well cooled, (mobo - room) should be 7C or less.
    (CPU - mobo) is a function of the heatsink and of the compound.

    If you do this test a year from now, and (CPU - mobo) is 5C higher
    than when you did the test above, then it is time to "re-grease"
    the CPU. After re-application, allow a couple of days again for
    the compound to settle in, then repeat the measurement.

    In terms of thermal performance, in fact the (mobo - room) is
    more important than the CPU (at least for Northwood processors).
    Your disk drive and power supply are the least reliable parts of
    the computer, and keeping the case temperature down will extend
    their lives. Considering the amount of time the average computer
    user keeps a processor before upgrading, the CPU temperature
    isn't nearly as critical.

    The situation on the top of the line 115W Prescotts is different,
    in that they will go into thermal throttle mode if not cooled
    properly, as they are near the limits of air cooling (water block
    cooling works better). Your processor is about 68W while running
    Prime95.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Bill Anderson wrote:

    > Bill Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Michael W. Ryder wrote:

    >>> If you get this working could you post your results? I think I saw
    >>> the same processor at Tiger a couple of months ago but some of the
    >>> people in this group thought it was a Celeron. I also have a P4T-E
    >>> and would like to upgrade. If I can get the same 8% overclocking to
    >>> work reliably I should have a 3 GHz computer without having to spend
    >>> $500 to change everything.
    >>

    >> OK, I think I'll give it a try tonight. If you don't hear back from
    >> me, you'll know I've fried the computer.
    >>

    > Well that didn't take long. Installation took less than 30 minutes even
    > including the discovery that three of the CPU pins were slightly bent
    > and I had to straighten them, carefully, with a knife blade. Dropped
    > right into place after I tinkered with it.
    >
    > I used some "silicon-base" heat sink compound that I bought at the local
    > Radio Shack. "Provides heat transfer from semiconductors to heat sink."
    > And the heat sink/fan is the unit I got from Intel with my original
    > 1.9 GHz CPU. Seems to be working OK so far.
    >
    > After installing the new CPU I see this on the boot screen:
    >
    > Intel P4 2800 MHz
    > RDRam Clock 400 MHz
    >
    > The WinXP System Properties/General window says:
    >
    > Intel(R)
    > Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    > 2.81GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
    >
    > Here's what's on the new CPU that I received from PowerLeap:
    >
    > Intel (m) (c) 01
    > Pentium (r) 4
    > 2.80 GHz/512/400
    > SL7EY Malay
    > Q415A321
    >
    > T415A854
    > 0448
    >
    > Don't know what it all means, but there you are.
    >
    > When I first booted with the new CPU I hit delete right after the post
    > beep just so I could enter BIOS setup and see what was going on.
    > Apparently I'd have been put into BIOS setup automatically anyway,
    > because when I arrived there a special message was waiting for me. It
    > said the system had booted at 100 MHz just to insure I could get to the
    > BIOS. And it had automatically set the clock speed option to "manual"
    > and it offered me a list of speeds to choose from. The slowest speed,
    > at the top of the list, was 2800 MHz, which I chose. I saved the
    > change, exited BIOS, and when the system booted everything appeared to
    > be working normally.
    >
    > I haven't yet put the side panel back on the computer case. When I do,
    > I may encounter an overheating problem, I dunno. But the bottom line is
    > that to all appearances I got what I expected to get from PowerLeap and
    > it seems so far to work as advertised.
    >
    > Many many thanks to all who replied.

    Thanks for the update, I will probably get it to upgrade my computer. I
    am looking for a decrease in importing large (over 600,000 lines)
    files into Excel. My other option is to replace everything for over $500.
    This way I can wait another year until the newest and greatest are
    stable and hopefully not buy the next Betamax (as RDRAM unfortunately
    seems to be).

    In a sense, every computer is a Betamax. There's nothing wrong with
    RDRAM. For the 1st half of the time that it was being sold (including
    the P4T-E), the alternative was SDRAM. Where would you be with that,
    and was it a "betamax"? PC1066 RDRAM (faster than what you have) is
    STILL faster than 800MHz DDR, which also won't work in the next
    generation of motherboards that will use DDR2.

    Intel's going to go to a 1066MHz memory bus with the second generation
    of DDR2 and the next generation of motherboards, in 2005. But we had
    1066MHz RDRAM back in 2002, with the P4T533 and the P4T533-C. It was 3
    years ahead of it's time. However, when those boards come out, SDRAM,
    DDR and even 800MHz DDR2 will be "old technology". Not to mention that
    all of our PCI and AGP cards (of whatever flavor) and IDE drives will
    all be dead, old technology within about 2 years.

    The real shame is that the memory system introduced in 1999 (RDRAM) was
    superior to SDRAM and DDR, and the 1066 speed grade that we had in 2002
    will only be equaled by 1066 MHz DDR2 in 2005. And Rambus XDR is far
    superior to anything that anyone has going out even 5-6 years in their
    pipeline:

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18371

    The [far] superior technical solution was defeated by politics and an
    illegal conspiracy by many of the industry leaders. Yet, Rambus is
    still 5 years ahead of the rest of the industry.

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > In a sense, every computer is a Betamax. There's nothing wrong with
    > RDRAM. For the 1st half of the time that it was being sold (including
    > the P4T-E), the alternative was SDRAM. Where would you be with that,
    > and was it a "betamax"? PC1066 RDRAM (faster than what you have) is
    > STILL faster than 800MHz DDR, which also won't work in the next
    > generation of motherboards that will use DDR2.
    >
    > Intel's going to go to a 1066MHz memory bus with the second generation
    > of DDR2 and the next generation of motherboards, in 2005. But we had
    > 1066MHz RDRAM back in 2002, with the P4T533 and the P4T533-C. It was 3
    > years ahead of it's time. However, when those boards come out, SDRAM,
    > DDR and even 800MHz DDR2 will be "old technology". Not to mention that
    > all of our PCI and AGP cards (of whatever flavor) and IDE drives will
    > all be dead, old technology within about 2 years.
    >
    > The real shame is that the memory system introduced in 1999 (RDRAM) was
    > superior to SDRAM and DDR, and the 1066 speed grade that we had in 2002
    > will only be equaled by 1066 MHz DDR2 in 2005. And Rambus XDR is far
    > superior to anything that anyone has going out even 5-6 years in their
    > pipeline:

    Exactly why I compared it to the Betamax. The Betamax was superior to
    VHS but politics ended up killing it.
    I love the RDRAM, but cannot move it to a new motherboard or get
    reasonably priced new pieces.
    I mainly want to wait long enough for the new technologies to sort out
    and find which ones will be around for a couple of years.

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18371
    >
    > The [far] superior technical solution was defeated by politics and an
    > illegal conspiracy by many of the industry leaders. Yet, Rambus is
    > still 5 years ahead of the rest of the industry.
    >

    >> This way I can wait another year until the newest and greatest are
    >> stable and hopefully not buy the next Betamax (as RDRAM unfortunately
    >> seems to be).

Asus Computer Processors Motherboards Product