Filling memory of iPaq 2215 with installed apps slow down ..

a b } Memory
June 15, 2004 7:11:42 PM

Hi,
I am wondering does installing a lot of applications to the iPaq 2215
affect it's performance by it not having enough free memory? i.e. if I fill
the 56mb (I think) of user available memory with installed apps, will it
slow down the PPC or does it not matter and the PPC only uses it's own OS
assigned memory and so having the user memory full would not affect it?
Any insight welcome on how the memory is managed.
Thanks
Patrick
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 16, 2004 3:59:55 AM

The 56MB of ram is shared between both the storage of programs and
system memory. If you filled the 56MB of ram completely with installed
applications there would be no system ram left to load and execute any
application.

Leaving a small amount free for execution, I do not believe it will slow
down a PPC as such, but prevent it from running many applications at once.

A standard PC is slowed down when the operating system is forced to page
ram to and from virtual ram stored on hard disk. Hard disks are far
slower than solid state memory systems.

Nikki

Patrick wrote:
> Hi,
> I am wondering does installing a lot of applications to the iPaq 2215
> affect it's performance by it not having enough free memory? i.e. if I fill
> the 56mb (I think) of user available memory with installed apps, will it
> slow down the PPC or does it not matter and the PPC only uses it's own OS
> assigned memory and so having the user memory full would not affect it?
> Any insight welcome on how the memory is managed.
> Thanks
> Patrick

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 16, 2004 3:59:56 AM

So then really buying a memory card and installing applications to it would
be the best solution for keeping the built in memory free?
Patrick

"Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message
> The 56MB of ram is shared between both the storage of programs and
> system memory. If you filled the 56MB of ram completely with installed
> applications there would be no system ram left to load and execute any
> application.
>
> Leaving a small amount free for execution, I do not believe it will slow
> down a PPC as such, but prevent it from running many applications at once.
>
> A standard PC is slowed down when the operating system is forced to page
> ram to and from virtual ram stored on hard disk. Hard disks are far
> slower than solid state memory systems.
>
> Nikki
>
> Patrick wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am wondering does installing a lot of applications to the iPaq 2215
> > affect it's performance by it not having enough free memory? i.e. if I
fill
> > the 56mb (I think) of user available memory with installed apps, will it
> > slow down the PPC or does it not matter and the PPC only uses it's own
OS
> > assigned memory and so having the user memory full would not affect it?
> > Any insight welcome on how the memory is managed.
> > Thanks
> > Patrick

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 16, 2004 7:45:22 AM

This is exactly what I do to keep that internal memory usage to low as
possible. I have absolutely loads of applications installed, but only
15MB of internal application storage is occupied. Some programs, though,
only behave properly if installed into ram. Not many.

Nikki

Patrick wrote:
> So then really buying a memory card and installing applications to it would
> be the best solution for keeping the built in memory free?
> Patrick
>

> "Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>The 56MB of ram is shared between both the storage of programs and
>>system memory. If you filled the 56MB of ram completely with installed
>>applications there would be no system ram left to load and execute any
>>application.
>>
>>Leaving a small amount free for execution, I do not believe it will slow
>>down a PPC as such, but prevent it from running many applications at once.
>>
>>A standard PC is slowed down when the operating system is forced to page
>>ram to and from virtual ram stored on hard disk. Hard disks are far
>>slower than solid state memory systems.
>>
>>Nikki
>>
>>Patrick wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>> I am wondering does installing a lot of applications to the iPaq 2215
>>>affect it's performance by it not having enough free memory? i.e. if I
>
> fill
>
>>>the 56mb (I think) of user available memory with installed apps, will it
>>>slow down the PPC or does it not matter and the PPC only uses it's own
>
> OS
>
>>>assigned memory and so having the user memory full would not affect it?
>>>Any insight welcome on how the memory is managed.
>>>Thanks
>>>Patrick

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 16, 2004 7:45:23 AM

I have a 256mb CF card, will this work for installing programs onto or will
the speed be too slow to run them?

> This is exactly what I do to keep that internal memory usage to low as
> possible. I have absolutely loads of applications installed, but only
> 15MB of internal application storage is occupied. Some programs, though,
> only behave properly if installed into ram. Not many.
>
> Nikki
>
> Patrick wrote:
> > So then really buying a memory card and installing applications to it
would
> > be the best solution for keeping the built in memory free?
> > Patrick
> >

> > "Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> >>The 56MB of ram is shared between both the storage of programs and
> >>system memory. If you filled the 56MB of ram completely with installed
> >>applications there would be no system ram left to load and execute any
> >>application.
> >>
> >>Leaving a small amount free for execution, I do not believe it will slow
> >>down a PPC as such, but prevent it from running many applications at
once.

> >>A standard PC is slowed down when the operating system is forced to page
> >>ram to and from virtual ram stored on hard disk. Hard disks are far
> >>slower than solid state memory systems.
> >>
> >>Nikki

> > fill

> > OS

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 16, 2004 7:45:24 AM

That will be fine, since the program will be loaded into RAM for execution
in any case. It is much like the hard drive of a PC. You don't really run
off the drive, the programs are loaded from the drive.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net> wrote in message
news:o luBmy0UEHA.3332@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I have a 256mb CF card, will this work for installing programs onto or
will
> the speed be too slow to run them?
> Patrick
>

> "Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message
> > This is exactly what I do to keep that internal memory usage to low as
> > possible. I have absolutely loads of applications installed, but only
> > 15MB of internal application storage is occupied. Some programs, though,
> > only behave properly if installed into ram. Not many.
> >
> > Nikki
> >
> > Patrick wrote:
> > > So then really buying a memory card and installing applications to it
> would
> > > be the best solution for keeping the built in memory free?
> > > Patrick
> > >

> > > "Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message

> once.

> > > fill

> it
> > >
> > > OS

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 16, 2004 7:45:25 AM

Final question on this,
If I install my apps onto the CF card and later buy a SD card will I need to
install all the apps again to the SD card? I presume it would act similar to
having programs installed to the C: drive and then copying them to the D
drive and deleting from C, the shortcuts and reg entries would be wrong.
Does this theory apply to the PPC also?
Patrick

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That will be fine, since the program will be loaded into RAM for execution
> in any case. It is much like the hard drive of a PC. You don't really run
> off the drive, the programs are loaded from the drive.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net> wrote in message
> news:o luBmy0UEHA.3332@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > I have a 256mb CF card, will this work for installing programs onto or
> will
> > the speed be too slow to run them?
> > Patrick
> >

> > "Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > This is exactly what I do to keep that internal memory usage to low as
> > > possible. I have absolutely loads of applications installed, but only
> > > 15MB of internal application storage is occupied. Some programs,
though,
> > > only behave properly if installed into ram. Not many.
> > >
> > > Nikki

> > would

> slow
> > once.

> page

> 2215
if

> > it
> own

> it?

June 16, 2004 1:43:36 PM

Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:
> That will be fine, since the program will be loaded into RAM for
> execution in any case. It is much like the hard drive of a PC. You
> don't really run off the drive, the programs are loaded from the
> drive.

Hi Sven,

Is there a simple method for moving programs to the CF Card (iPAQ 1220).

I have just changed from a Sony Clie Palm based device, and it was a bit of
a pain requiring a third party utility.

TIA

Martin
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 16, 2004 3:49:32 PM

Some programs run far more slowly when installed on a memory card.
I've come across ShoppingList (which is written in Visual Basic). It is
painfully slow making it effectively unusable. Moving to internal memory
made a big difference. I also tried some of the 3rd party spreadsheets, and
some were better in internal memory, not so ponderous in action or slow to
load.

"Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net> wrote in message
news:o luBmy0UEHA.3332@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I have a 256mb CF card, will this work for installing programs onto or
will
> the speed be too slow to run them?
> Patrick
>

> "Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message
> > This is exactly what I do to keep that internal memory usage to low as
> > possible. I have absolutely loads of applications installed, but only
> > 15MB of internal application storage is occupied. Some programs, though,
> > only behave properly if installed into ram. Not many.
> >
> > Nikki
> >
> > Patrick wrote:
> > > So then really buying a memory card and installing applications to it
> would
> > > be the best solution for keeping the built in memory free?
> > > Patrick
> > >

> > > "Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message

> once.

> > > fill

> it
> > >
> > > OS

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 16, 2004 5:05:41 PM

I think it could be possible to do this without too much trouble.

You would need to clone the old card to the new and then rename the
default SD storage folder name to that of the CF one and change that to
something different to prevent conflicts. A registry editor will enable
you to change these names.

Nikki

Patrick wrote:

> Final question on this,
> If I install my apps onto the CF card and later buy a SD card will I need to
> install all the apps again to the SD card? I presume it would act similar to
> having programs installed to the C: drive and then copying them to the D
> drive and deleting from C, the shortcuts and reg entries would be wrong.
> Does this theory apply to the PPC also?
> Patrick
>

> "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>That will be fine, since the program will be loaded into RAM for execution
>>in any case. It is much like the hard drive of a PC. You don't really run
>>off the drive, the programs are loaded from the drive.
>>
>>--
>>Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
>>"Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net> wrote in message
>>news:o luBmy0UEHA.3332@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>I have a 256mb CF card, will this work for installing programs onto or
>>
>>will
>>
>>>the speed be too slow to run them?
>>>Patrick
>>>

>>>"Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message

> though,

> it
>
>>>would

> installed

> any

>>slow

>>>once.

>>page

>>2215

> if

> will
>
>>>it

>>own

>>it?

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 16, 2004 10:18:38 PM

It's more of a give and take type of thing. Most programs work fine when
installed on a memory card but there are a few that don't. I would install
the apps you use the most into main memory and istall secondary and large
programs to the memory card.

rights...

!