usb printer on home network

David

Have setup a small network at home. Connected to DSL by a 2wire hub. One
computer is connected to the hub by a ethernet card which has the usb Lexmark
printer connected to it. This computer has Windows XP. The second is
wireless with a D-Link adapter.This computer has 98 SE. Everthing works great
except from the wireless computer I can not print on the usb printer. On the
wireless computer the printer show up as an option and is installed. On the
XP machine the printer is shared. On the 98 machine it says it is unable to
commuicate with the printer. Any idea what the problem is. I am very new to
wireless. Thanks

Malke

David wrote:

> Have setup a small network at home. Connected to DSL by a 2wire hub.
> One computer is connected to the hub by a ethernet card which has the
> usb Lexmark
> printer connected to it. This computer has Windows XP. The second is
> wireless with a D-Link adapter.This computer has 98 SE. Everthing
> works great except from the wireless computer I can not print on the
> usb printer. On the wireless computer the printer show up as an option
> and is installed. On the XP machine the printer is shared. On the 98
> machine it says it is unable to commuicate with the printer. Any idea
> what the problem is. I am very new to wireless. Thanks

I'm not sure that the printing problem with Win98 is related to the
wireless factor. Have you actually installed the printer using
Lexmark's setup program on Win98? I believe you will need to do this.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

David

Yes I installed it on the 98 machine. It shows up on the network as being
there. When I try to use it, it seems to start working, but then it says
there is a problem with communicating with the printer. Thanks

"Malke" wrote:

> David wrote:
>
> > Have setup a small network at home. Connected to DSL by a 2wire hub.
> > One computer is connected to the hub by a ethernet card which has the
> > usb Lexmark
> > printer connected to it. This computer has Windows XP. The second is
> > wireless with a D-Link adapter.This computer has 98 SE. Everthing
> > works great except from the wireless computer I can not print on the
> > usb printer. On the wireless computer the printer show up as an option
> > and is installed. On the XP machine the printer is shared. On the 98
> > machine it says it is unable to commuicate with the printer. Any idea
> > what the problem is. I am very new to wireless. Thanks
>
> I'm not sure that the printing problem with Win98 is related to the
> wireless factor. Have you actually installed the printer using
> Lexmark's setup program on Win98? I believe you will need to do this.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Malke

David wrote:

> Yes I installed it on the 98 machine. It shows up on the network as
> being
> there. When I try to use it, it seems to start working, but then it
> says
> there is a problem with communicating with the printer. Thanks

First, I should tell you I'm not a printer expert, so someone else who
is may have some better answers for you. I Googled for "Windows 98
network printer unable to communicate with printer" and came up with
some interesting links which might help. Not everything might apply
exactly to your situation (since you're not using a print server, for
instance - something you might consider doing), but nevertheless it's
worth checking out for the printer configuration:

This is a Dlink site about setting up Win98 with their wireless print
server:

http://tinyurl.com/458uz

I think there might be a clue in the "bi-directional" settings. Check
out the various articles on that site for setting up Win98 printing and
see if that helps.

Good luck,

Malke