Help me update my BIOS please

Hello. Just bought an ASUS P4S800D motherboard, and figured I might as well
update the BIOS to the latest version to avoid any stability problems that
may occur otherwise... or something.

So, I've downloaded the latest bios version B1009, and got the AFUDOS211
program, which I think I read somewhere that I should use. So, where do I go
from here? I've never updated a BIOS chip before, so I'm a little lost...

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

--

The Berzerker
Stick Your Hate to Me

    I just updated the bios on my P4C800ED last night. I assume since it
    uses the same utility (afudos211) that your motherboard works the same
    way. If not, I am sure someone will correct me ;)

    1. Create a bootable floppy. In XP this is done by inserting a blank
    in the floppy drive and in explorer right click on drive A and select
    format. Check the box that says something like "make bootable" or
    "copy os"
    2. Unzip your downloaded bios and afudos211 to the newly formated
    floppy.
    3. Boot off the floppy.
    4. At the command prompt type afudos211. The program will tell you
    what format it expects the for the execute instruction. For mine (and
    probably yours) it wanted "afudos211 /iBIOS_FILENAME"
    5. Type in the appropriate execution instruction
    6. Watch it flash your bios.

    Good luck,
    Wade
    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:04:31 +0100, "The Berzerker"
    <Berzerker@Wooooo.com> wrote:

    >Hello. Just bought an ASUS P4S800D motherboard, and figured I might as well
    >update the BIOS to the latest version to avoid any stability problems that
    >may occur otherwise... or something.
    >
    >So, I've downloaded the latest bios version B1009, and got the AFUDOS211
    >program, which I think I read somewhere that I should use. So, where do I go
    >from here? I've never updated a BIOS chip before, so I'm a little lost...
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Chris

    with you programm AFUDOS211 it's more complicated but i'll explain:
    create a boot disk and put on this disk the afudos211 and the unzipped
    bios file.
    then restart the pc and boot from the disk. then run afudos211 (OR
    enter afudos211.exe -[filename new bios]?? i think so).
    much easier is the ASUS update programm. (visit the asus page.) this
    is win app with the same function as the afudos211.
    i've just updated (P4G8X delux) with this programm. it's fast and
    userfriendly.
    Have a nice flaashing.

    Max O.

    ==============

    In article <41407f0d$0$20257$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "The
    Berzerker" <Berzerker@Wooooo.com> wrote:

    > Hello. Just bought an ASUS P4S800D motherboard, and figured I might as well
    > update the BIOS to the latest version to avoid any stability problems that
    > may occur otherwise... or something.
    >
    > So, I've downloaded the latest bios version B1009, and got the AFUDOS211
    > program, which I think I read somewhere that I should use. So, where do I go
    > from here? I've never updated a BIOS chip before, so I'm a little lost...
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Chris

    Have you looked at chapter 4 in the manual? It has quite a few hints.
    But, it wouldn't tell you to backup the BIOS onto a floppy first,
    so you can be sure you have a copy of the factory issued BIOS.
    That is handy for if you ever want to flash it back to the way it
    was.

    Unless the motherboard stock is really old (mom and pop computer
    store that doesn't sell a lot of motherboards), the BIOS is probably
    already pretty close to the latest. If the motherboard is reasonably
    mature, the last few BIOS only differ in that they add support for
    the latest processors (like maybe a CeleronD). You would be advised
    to go to the download page on the Asus web site, and click the "More"
    link for a particular BIOS file, to read what few release notes come
    with the BIOS. That can help you decide whether it is worth the risk
    or not. There will also be any warnings, about what flashing methods
    not to use for a particular release, as there are three ways to
    flash, and some methods become "busted" sometimes, and can leave
    you with a dead board. So, it pays to read the release notes, either
    from the "More" link, or the release notes are also printed on the
    final download page as well.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4S800D&Type=All

    HTH,
    Paul

    "The Berzerker" <Berzerker@Wooooo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. Just bought an ASUS P4S800D motherboard, and figured I might as
    well
    > update the BIOS to the latest version to avoid any stability problems that
    > may occur otherwise... or something.
    >
    > So, I've downloaded the latest bios version B1009, and got the AFUDOS211
    > program, which I think I read somewhere that I should use. So, where do I
    go
    > from here? I've never updated a BIOS chip before, so I'm a little lost...
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > --
    >

    > The Berzerker
    > Stick Your Hate to Me

    Format a floppy. Besure to check of "Create an MS-DOS startup disk"
    Copy afudos.exe and your bios file to this floppy.
    make sure they are unzipped.
    boot your PC with this floppy in the drive
    to flash your bios type
    afudos /iYOUR_NEW_BIOS_FILE /oSAVE_OLD_BIOS
    if you don't have enough space on the floppy you
    can leave the /oSAVE_OLD_BIOS but it creates a backup
    of you old bios just in case
    You can old so type afudos /? for help

    Jim M

    Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:

    > One man's "if it ain't broke don't fix it" becomes another man's
    > advice not to see a dentist until your teeth are rotting or loose.
    > Sometimes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

    Upgrading your BIOS can't be compared to go to a dentist for caries
    prevention.

    Upgrading BIOS is like using a chainsaw. Very effective if used properly,
    and very destructive if used wrongly. Very effective in capable hands,
    very dangerous in inexperienced hands.

    If you think you _really_ need a chainsaw, of course I won't prevent you
    to flash your BIOS. I only advised to think twice about the necessity
    given the risks.

    If a new system gives hiccups with SP2, it won't be damaged because of an
    old BIOS. If you flash it after that, everything will run fine again. If
    it doesn't give hiccups, there's no need to risk a brownout through a non-
    necessary BIOS flash in the first place.

    > [The risk of screwing up a motherboard in a BIOS update is very small if
    > you do it under DOS]

    As I already said, that remains to be seen. It's why I referred to the
    multiple postings about screwed up BIOS flashes - even with backup
    utilityies.

    --
    CeeBee

    Archer: "Houdini could get out of this."
    T'Pol: "Perhaps you should invite him on your next mission."

    Picard: "Mr. Worf, do you know Gilbert and Sullivan?"
    Worf: "No sir, I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members
    since I have been back."

    "The Berzerker" <Berzerker@Wooooo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. Just bought an ASUS P4S800D motherboard, and figured I might as
    well
    > update the BIOS to the latest version to avoid any stability problems that
    > may occur otherwise... or something.
    >
    > So, I've downloaded the latest bios version B1009, and got the AFUDOS211
    > program, which I think I read somewhere that I should use. So, where do I
    go
    > from here? I've never updated a BIOS chip before, so I'm a little lost...
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > --
    >

    > The Berzerker
    > Stick Your Hate to Me

    Thanks for all the help. I actually flashed the BIOS before reading any of
    your warnings, but thankfully it went well and everything runs fine. You're
    right, it did add support for newer processors.... but it seems all the bios
    updates are incredibly vague with what they actually do, so, perhaps it
    fixed something, or whatever. Anyway, I used AFUDOS, and it's done. Oh, and
    you're right about it being listed in the motherboard manual, I compeltely
    overlooked this, like a fool.

    Thanks for the support. I got some gaming to do!

Asus BIOS Motherboards