Opinions on P4S800D-E Deluxe?

I'm thinking of upgrading my son's computer and this looks to me like a good
motherboard, at least on paper. I haven't seen many posts about it.
Anybody have an opinion? Thanks.
Jon

I would AVOID it. The "S" in the model number means it uses an SIS chipset,
which is cheaper and far more unstable and trouble prone than a
corresponding Intel chipset.

--
DaveW

"condraj" <condraj1spamtrap@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of upgrading my son's computer and this looks to me like a
> good motherboard, at least on paper. I haven't seen many posts about it.
> Anybody have an opinion? Thanks.
> Jon

musty

I had heard that opinion from others before, but it did not stop me. I have
the P4S800D-E for over 6 months now. I have NEVER had an issue. It run
beautifully. Here are my specs:

MoBo: P4S800D-E
CPU: Intel P4 3.0Ghz Northwood
Memory: 2 X 512MB DDR400 Kingston (CL3)
Graphics: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

I have run this setup at 3.3Ghz without any trouble. The system NEVER
crashes or locks. The board is very high quality and has amazing features. I
love the BIOS upgrade feature. I am a 3D gamer. I play games like DOOM3 and
FarCry.

If you are un-sure read about the SiS 655-TX chipset. All the experts agree
that this is a top-notch chipset. Just do google on "sis 655TX review".

Do yourself a favour and buy this board. Keep the money you save to buy a
kick-ass graphics card or a couple of SATA drives for RAIDing.Just remember
to saty current with BIOS and drivers.

What I am stating here is direct experience with THIS particular board and
chipset (not some board 3 years ago with some other chipset). I disagree
with any claim that THIS board is unstable or trouble prone.

Thanks
Musty

Musty wrote:
> I had heard that opinion from others before, but it did not stop me.
> I have the P4S800D-E for over 6 months now. I have NEVER had an
> issue. It run beautifully. Here are my specs:

Fully agree with Musty's statement.
Bought one 5 months ago.

Maybe it's just the other way round:
The boards with numerous posts are the ones that are making trouble.
The ones you rarely read about are running fine.
:)

"Markus L" <uo9oew@lnubb.pbz> wrote in message
> Musty wrote:
>> I had heard that opinion from others before, but it did not stop me.
>> I have the P4S800D-E for over 6 months now. I have NEVER had an
>> issue. It run beautifully. Here are my specs:
>
> Fully agree with Musty's statement.
> Bought one 5 months ago.
>
> Maybe it's just the other way round:
> The boards with numerous posts are the ones that are making trouble.
> The ones you rarely read about are running fine.
> :)

Thanks for your input, everybody. I should have mentioned that my son's
current motherboard is a P4S533, and it's been fantastic. It's fast, loaded
with features, rock-stable, and really inexpensive. That's the main reason
I'm considering the P4S800D-E seriously now. Based on that limited
experience with SIS chipsets, I'm really impressed. It's good to hear the
latest one is good too. Thanks again.

ChrisH

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:42:14 +0200, "Markus L" <uo9oew@lnubb.pbz>
wrote:

>Musty wrote:
>> I had heard that opinion from others before, but it did not stop me.
>> I have the P4S800D-E for over 6 months now. I have NEVER had an
>> issue. It run beautifully. Here are my specs:
>
>Fully agree with Musty's statement.
>Bought one 5 months ago.
>
>Maybe it's just the other way round:
>The boards with numerous posts are the ones that are making trouble.
>The ones you rarely read about are running fine.
>:)

Me too, my board has been running a 3GHz Prescott at 3.4GHz for
several months now. Never had an issue with it (other than a few
hardware monitoring utilities which don't recognise the chipset at all
- no big deal). I was so impressed I built a second machine with the
same board, used as a games machine and it too is very stable.

ChrisH

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:16:21 -0400, "condraj"
<condraj1spamtrap@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Markus L" <uo9oew@lnubb.pbz> wrote in message
>> Musty wrote:
>>> I had heard that opinion from others before, but it did not stop me.
>>> I have the P4S800D-E for over 6 months now. I have NEVER had an
>>> issue. It run beautifully. Here are my specs:
>>
>> Fully agree with Musty's statement.
>> Bought one 5 months ago.
>>
>> Maybe it's just the other way round:
>> The boards with numerous posts are the ones that are making trouble.
>> The ones you rarely read about are running fine.
>> :)
>>

>Thanks for your input, everybody. I should have mentioned that my son's
>current motherboard is a P4S533, and it's been fantastic. It's fast, loaded
>with features, rock-stable, and really inexpensive. That's the main reason
>I'm considering the P4S800D-E seriously now. Based on that limited
>experience with SIS chipsets, I'm really impressed. It's good to hear the
>latest one is good too. Thanks again.

Although it is cheap I didn't buy it for that reason. Based on
performance and included extras it could have been priced the same as
Intel-based models. In fact, benchmarks give the P4S800D-E the edge.
I don't understand why it isn't more popular, perhaps because of bad
SIS performance in the past but this particular board definitely kicks
ass.

ChrisH

"condraj" <condraj1spamtrap@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of upgrading my son's computer and this looks to me like a
good
> motherboard, at least on paper. I haven't seen many posts about it.
> Anybody have an opinion? Thanks.
> Jon

I have a P4S800D board. My input is hardly valid due to my system only being
built a few days... but inital impressions are very good, performance wise.
It runs very fast with a 3GHz Prescott prescott processor, and seems to be
really impressive.... so the performance really is there, and if these guys
say it's stable, then I can't see why you'd be held back.

I swapped out a P4S333 for the *00D-E Deluxe and am very satisfied.
It is by fay the best board I have ever own. The exchange was flawless
and uneventful. Fear not!

Dave - N2LAK