[SOLVED] Apple 10 years behind Microsoft

Solution
from my understanding of the article is that the OS is not behind but apple's way of handling security is behind because they lack the experience of MSFT in that area.

plus, all the mac users i know have basic to little computer knowledge, and rely 100% on apple to provide them everything...

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Ignoring the obvious "hey, buy our products" angle, they've got a point. I've heard a lot of fanboys spout claims about being immune to viruses, despite the ones who are currently claiming that nobody ever said that, I personally heard the claim countless times.

Security through obscurity is not security at all. It breeds complacency and ignorance, plus I've noticed a lot of Mac owners who think they know a lot more about computers in general than they really do.

So you've got a bunch of users who are overly confident in the security of their system, to the point where they consider it to be a non-issue, combined with another group of users who are overly confident in their own skills to identify and handle issues. The intersection of those groups, and Apple's generally slow responses to threats combine to produce shockingly bad security in a considerable number of systems.

There are of course plenty of Windows users who don't know a damn thing about security and own the digital equivalent of a Petri dish, but you won't see them going around telling people how their system doesn't get viruses.

Not taking action to protect yourself and believing you above even the need for protection are very different mindsets, even if the end result is the same.

I agree 100% that there are a lot of complacent Mac owners. But that's down to the owners, not the OS. If this thread (or the blog it refers to - on a Microsoft web site) had said "Mac users complacent", I'd agree. But that doen't make the OS 10 years behind Microsoft.

I never take much notice of this sort of marketing from the anti-virus software companies.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
There really honestly isnt a purpose for a MAC OS anymore to be honest. Back when photo editing and video editing were solely done on a MAC things were looking good for MAC's. Now you can do everything you can do on a MAC on a PC faster, so why render or draw on a MAC when a PC is faster at rendering and processing pictures/videos? Its all hype/media that makes people believe that MACS are the solution to everything.

I find it funny, I asked my sister one day why she bought a MAC. She told me its because i draw and use editing, then i asked what programs she used. She told me Adobe creative suite, and I told her that they have all of that software for use on a PC and that it runs even faster at rendering/compiling video and photo projects. After i explained all of that she still thinks her MAC is faster and better than any PC out there, she even thinks that MACS don't get viruses and overheat hahahahaha.

/sigh People are so ignorant.

Last note, i have nothing against people that like MACS since its a different feel and everything about the OS is different than Windows. I personally hate Apple but many people still love MACS and ill respect their opinions since every one has a right to their own.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
from my understanding of the article is that the OS is not behind but apple's way of handling security is behind because they lack the experience of MSFT in that area.

plus, all the mac users i know have basic to little computer knowledge, and rely 100% on apple to provide them everything...

Solution

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Complete hype from the company.

frozen walt disney

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
While I agree mobrocket with what you said about security, I don't really agree with what you said about mac users not knowing their systems to well.

Virus security has never been a "huge" issue with mac, because lets face it, there weren't any designed for them that people know about.

As for the average mac user, a lot of people just don't like messing with systems all the time, or like to go to an actual brick and mortar store that can provide you service on a product they specialize on... Not many computer stores can say that. How many computer companies control everything from software and hardware to their actual in-store experience?

That being said, I had an Apple that had Linux, Windows, and Mac OSX on it running at the same time, and was just awesome to make sure everything was compatible with websites.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Apple has at least their own software and hardware more than the other companies have.I once had Lenovo call their customer service and you get a Chinese customer service rep who can hardly understand English.Not with Apple.

Really? Every time I've called Lenovo, I got someone in Atlanta, Georgia that knew English perfectly well. Not that I've called them often, only 3 times in the last year.

Really? Every time I've called Lenovo, I got someone in Atlanta, Georgia that knew English perfectly well. Not that I've called them often, only 3 times in the last year.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
We have 2000 Macs in the district I work in, they all have anti-virus installed. Its not the user's that get to decide whether its on their machines or not though, it just is because we said so.

roagie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Many good opinions here so I'll go ahead and throw mine out there.

Mac OSX is a good OS, but Apple is definitely behind in security. The main reason is the attitude given to the security community. They don't treat them as trying to help but with a suspicious eye instead.

Charlie Miller was kind enough to create an app that showed an incredible weakness with some of the security measures being used. His reward? He was banned from IOS developer program. Dr. Web reports the flashback virus, apple attempts to bring down their DNS servers because Apple's security team couldn't figure out that Dr. Web was redirecting in order to intercept traffic headed for compromised servers.

There are right now four different ways to gain access to Mac OSX (that I know of) that can be used to circumvent the authentication process. The problem with relying on your own team to come up with security patches and find vulnerabilities is you will never ever be able to match the power of several hundred professional security experts trying to exploit your system.

Google just announced it's raising the chrome vulnerability finder's fee to $10,000.00. For Apple? They ban you and attempt to prosecute. The only people who will be finding exploits in Mac OSX aren't going to be the people who are going to report the issue. They are going to be the type of people who are going to squeeze everything out of your computer they can. When that's all said and done.... 3 months after they've found out about the issue, Apple may or may not release a patch.

In a world were security threats change on a daily basis this is unacceptable. Apple has been able to become complacent through obscurity; low market share has previously made it a bad time investment for malicious exploits. Now that Apple has been clawing it's way to a 20% market share, I fear for the foreseeable future Apple will be playing catchup. Until they change their attitude, I don't think Apple will be able to keep the Mac, and IOS platforms safe.

Just my two cents

Status
Not open for further replies.