Is dual channel working?

I just finished building a new machine. Boot says: "Dual Channel linear
mode". I run the Intel Hyper threading test and the processor & chipset pass
while the bios
fails. I open the "task manager" and only get one processor window. Anyone
have any ideas?

Machine specs:

P4C800E-del
Corsair Twinx 1024-3200C2 (1Gig) (both in blue slots)
Bios ver 1016.001
Asus A9600XT video card
M-3 Revolution audio card.

TIA- Steve

You may be conflating hyperthreading and memory mode which are different
matters. For hyperthreading there is a BIOS setting (on my machine it's
under /Advanced/CPU Configuration/Hyperthreading technology) which has to be
set to "enabled." I'm not sure whether or not it must be set that way
before the OS is installed in order for it to work properly under Windows
XP. Good luck! HTH

formerprof
formerprof@yahoo.com

"Steve Shoup" <shoupsc@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just finished building a new machine. Boot says: "Dual Channel linear
> mode". I run the Intel Hyper threading test and the processor & chipset
> pass
> while the bios
> fails. I open the "task manager" and only get one processor window. Anyone
> have any ideas?
>
> Machine specs:
>
> P4C800E-del
> Corsair Twinx 1024-3200C2 (1Gig) (both in blue slots)
> Bios ver 1016.001
> Asus A9600XT video card
> M-3 Revolution audio card.
>
> TIA- Steve

Bios under Advanced / CPU Configuration / Hyperthreading Technology is set
to enabled. I beleive it was that way when I installed the O/S. Running
WinXP Pro-SP1 (for install).

-S

"formerprof" <formerprof@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> You may be conflating hyperthreading and memory mode which are different
> matters. For hyperthreading there is a BIOS setting (on my machine it's
> under /Advanced/CPU Configuration/Hyperthreading technology) which has to
be
> set to "enabled." I'm not sure whether or not it must be set that way
> before the OS is installed in order for it to work properly under Windows
> XP. Good luck! HTH
>
> formerprof
> formerprof@yahoo.com
>

> "Steve Shoup" <shoupsc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I just finished building a new machine. Boot says: "Dual Channel linear
> > mode". I run the Intel Hyper threading test and the processor & chipset
> > pass
> > while the bios
> > fails. I open the "task manager" and only get one processor window.
Anyone
> > have any ideas?
> >
> > Machine specs:
> >
> > P4C800E-del
> > Corsair Twinx 1024-3200C2 (1Gig) (both in blue slots)
> > Bios ver 1016.001
> > Asus A9600XT video card
> > M-3 Revolution audio card.
> >
> > TIA- Steve

We have nearly the same setup -- I'm usiing the P4C800E-Dlx also with a 3.0
gb Northwood P4. Which CPU are you using?

I'd also check the "Performance Accelerated Technology" and "Turbo" settings
in BIOS. I'm using BIOS 1017 now, but it worked for me with 1016 before I
flashed it. I've also installed the latest Intel chipset driver, but I have
no idea whether that has an effect or not.

Good luck

formerprof

> Bios under Advanced / CPU Configuration / Hyperthreading Technology is set
> to enabled. I beleive it was that way when I installed the O/S. Running
> WinXP Pro-SP1 (for install).
>
> -S
>
> "formerprof" <formerprof@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> You may be conflating hyperthreading and memory mode which are different
>> matters. For hyperthreading there is a BIOS setting (on my machine it's
>> under /Advanced/CPU Configuration/Hyperthreading technology) which has to
> be
>> set to "enabled." I'm not sure whether or not it must be set that way
>> before the OS is installed in order for it to work properly under Windows
>> XP. Good luck! HTH
>>
>> formerprof
>> formerprof@yahoo.com
>>

>> "Steve Shoup" <shoupsc@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >I just finished building a new machine. Boot says: "Dual Channel linear
>> > mode". I run the Intel Hyper threading test and the processor & chipset
>> > pass
>> > while the bios
>> > fails. I open the "task manager" and only get one processor window.
> Anyone
>> > have any ideas?
>> >
>> > Machine specs:
>> >
>> > P4C800E-del
>> > Corsair Twinx 1024-3200C2 (1Gig) (both in blue slots)
>> > Bios ver 1016.001
>> > Asus A9600XT video card
>> > M-3 Revolution audio card.
>> >
>> > TIA- Steve

P4-3.20Ghz Prescott.

> We have nearly the same setup -- I'm usiing the P4C800E-Dlx also with a
3.0
> gb Northwood P4. Which CPU are you using?
>
> I'd also check the "Performance Accelerated Technology" and "Turbo"
settings
> in BIOS. I'm using BIOS 1017 now, but it worked for me with 1016 before I
> flashed it. I've also installed the latest Intel chipset driver, but I
have
> no idea whether that has an effect or not.
>
> Good luck
>
> formerprof
>

> "Steve Shoup" <shoupsc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Bios under Advanced / CPU Configuration / Hyperthreading Technology is
set
> > to enabled. I beleive it was that way when I installed the O/S. Running
> > WinXP Pro-SP1 (for install).
> >
> > -S
> >
> > "formerprof" <formerprof@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> You may be conflating hyperthreading and memory mode which are
different
> >> matters. For hyperthreading there is a BIOS setting (on my machine it's
> >> under /Advanced/CPU Configuration/Hyperthreading technology) which has
> > be
> >> set to "enabled." I'm not sure whether or not it must be set that way
> >> before the OS is installed in order for it to work properly under
Windows
> >> XP. Good luck! HTH
> >>
> >> formerprof
> >> formerprof@yahoo.com
> >>

> >> "Steve Shoup" <shoupsc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Anyone

Dear Steve,

I think Bob Knowlden is on the right track here. You may need the
multiprocessor HAL; a repair installation might do it or you may have to
shuffle the files manually. I haven't read the KB article, but if I remember
aright it can be done from the repair console using what are essentially DOS
commands. The HALs can be found on the original installation disk but there
may be newer version in the service packs. HTH

formerprof

> P4-3.20Ghz Prescott.
>
> "formerprof" <formerprof@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> We have nearly the same setup -- I'm usiing the P4C800E-Dlx also with a
> 3.0
>> gb Northwood P4. Which CPU are you using?
>>
>> I'd also check the "Performance Accelerated Technology" and "Turbo"
> settings
>> in BIOS. I'm using BIOS 1017 now, but it worked for me with 1016 before I
>> flashed it. I've also installed the latest Intel chipset driver, but I
> have
>> no idea whether that has an effect or not.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> formerprof
>>

>> "Steve Shoup" <shoupsc@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Bios under Advanced / CPU Configuration / Hyperthreading Technology is
> set
>> > to enabled. I beleive it was that way when I installed the O/S. Running
>> > WinXP Pro-SP1 (for install).
>> >
>> > -S
>> >
>> > "formerprof" <formerprof@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> different
>> > be
> Windows

> linear
> chipset
>> > Anyone

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:49:17 -0500, "Steve Shoup"
<shoupsc@comcast.net> wrote:

>I just finished building a new machine. Boot says: "Dual Channel linear
>mode". I run the Intel Hyper threading test and the processor & chipset pass
>while the bios
>fails. I open the "task manager" and only get one processor window. Anyone
>have any ideas?

HT disabled in BIOS?
What OS? WinXP Pro has SMP-support, but not sure WinXP Home Ed has
it...

--
Clas Mehus
Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/

XP Home does support hyperthreading -- that's what I'm running.

formerprof

"Clas Mehus" <clas.mehus@idg.no> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:49:17 -0500, "Steve Shoup"
> <shoupsc@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I just finished building a new machine. Boot says: "Dual Channel linear
>>mode". I run the Intel Hyper threading test and the processor & chipset
>>pass
>>while the bios
>>fails. I open the "task manager" and only get one processor window. Anyone
>>have any ideas?
>
> HT disabled in BIOS?
> What OS? WinXP Pro has SMP-support, but not sure WinXP Home Ed has
> it...
>

> --
> Clas Mehus
> Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/
> "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."

Clas,

Bios enabled. WinXP-Pro-SP1

-Steve

"Clas Mehus" <clas.mehus@idg.no> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:49:17 -0500, "Steve Shoup"
> <shoupsc@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >I just finished building a new machine. Boot says: "Dual Channel linear
> >mode". I run the Intel Hyper threading test and the processor & chipset
pass
> >while the bios
> >fails. I open the "task manager" and only get one processor window.
Anyone
> >have any ideas?
>
> HT disabled in BIOS?
> What OS? WinXP Pro has SMP-support, but not sure WinXP Home Ed has
> it...
>

> --
> Clas Mehus
> Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/
> "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."

Under Device Manager, System Devices, Microsoft ACPI Complaint System,
location is "on ACPI Multiprocessor PC".

This is on XP Home. (Home doesn't support multiple physical CPUs, but it
supports two logical CPUs under hyperthreading.)

This may be useful:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299340&Product=winxp

"How to force a Hardware Abstraction Layer during an upgrade or an
installation of Windows XP"

although a repair installation of XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

"How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP"

ought to install the proper HAL automatically, if you have a HT CPU
installed and HT turned on in the BIOS settings.

I don't see any reference to what CPU you're using, but I assume that it's
one with an 800 MHz FSB (front side bus). I believe that all the 800 MHz P4s
support hyperthreading. (A 400 or 533 MHz CPU would be a bit of a waste on a
P4C800 mainboard. Other than the 3.06 GHz/533 chip, most of them don't
support HT.)

Good luck.

Bob Knowlden

> Clas,
>
> Bios enabled. WinXP-Pro-SP1
>
> -Steve

(snip)

Thanks Guys! A repair installation solved the problem. It works great now.

-Steve