Disabling L1 L2 Cache

How does one disable the L1 and L2 cache in the bios setup program for a
P4P800SE? The cache settings certainly don't jump right out at you, or
maybe i am blind.
4 answers Last reply
More about disabling cache

    In article <414292f0_3@corp.newsgroups.com>, "\"Outback\" Jon"
    <kc2bne@mh.no.spam.online.net> wrote:

    > John M. Hunt wrote:
    > > How does one disable the L1 and L2 cache in the bios setup program
    > > for a P4P800SE? The cache settings certainly don't jump right out at
    > > you, or maybe i am blind.
    >
    > I can't be of any help, but I am curious as to why you'd want to disable the
    > cache...

    He is trying to escape the clutches of the WinXP SP2 update.

    Methinks he is screwed. In my research so far today, I've uncovered
    a number of things missing from the AMI BIOS, and this just adds
    another one to the list. I don't see an L1/L2 disable function.
    (If there was a hot key to throw the BIOS into some kind of debug
    mode, that is the only extreme hypothesis I can think of...)

    I tried an experiment just now, using a recipe that worked in the
    past with Award BIOS, where you could use a microcode from another
    BIOS. The program CTMC accesses a built in microcode function that
    seems to be implemented in the Award BIOS - it allows programmatic
    way to get out of this jam. I tried it on my P4C800-E Deluxe
    with the original factory 1014 BIOS on it. My Northwood is at
    revision 17, and I got a revision 21 microcode to try and update
    it. Unfortunately, CTMC says the microcode update function is not
    supported, and because that function was specified at a particular
    interrupt number and function code (D042) by Intel, my theory was
    both the AMI and the Award BIOSes would work. Alas, such is not
    to be.

    John will have to flash up to 1005 or 1005.003, reinstall Windows,
    or move the disk to another computer and rename the update.sys file
    so it cannot load.

    This is my previous test of P4P800SE BIOS.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=nospam-2908042346350001%40192.168.1.177

    HTH,
    Paul

    > In article <414292f0_3@corp.newsgroups.com>, "\"Outback\" Jon"
    > <kc2bne@mh.no.spam.online.net> wrote:
    >
    > > John M. Hunt wrote:
    > > > How does one disable the L1 and L2 cache in the bios setup program
    > > > for a P4P800SE? The cache settings certainly don't jump right out at
    > > > you, or maybe i am blind.
    > >
    > > I can't be of any help, but I am curious as to why you'd want to disable
    the
    > > cache...
    >
    > He is trying to escape the clutches of the WinXP SP2 update.
    >
    > Methinks he is screwed. In my research so far today, I've uncovered
    > a number of things missing from the AMI BIOS, and this just adds
    > another one to the list. I don't see an L1/L2 disable function.
    > (If there was a hot key to throw the BIOS into some kind of debug
    > mode, that is the only extreme hypothesis I can think of...)
    >
    > I tried an experiment just now, using a recipe that worked in the
    > past with Award BIOS, where you could use a microcode from another
    > BIOS. The program CTMC accesses a built in microcode function that
    > seems to be implemented in the Award BIOS - it allows programmatic
    > way to get out of this jam. I tried it on my P4C800-E Deluxe
    > with the original factory 1014 BIOS on it. My Northwood is at
    > revision 17, and I got a revision 21 microcode to try and update
    > it. Unfortunately, CTMC says the microcode update function is not
    > supported, and because that function was specified at a particular
    > interrupt number and function code (D042) by Intel, my theory was
    > both the AMI and the Award BIOSes would work. Alas, such is not
    > to be.
    >
    > John will have to flash up to 1005 or 1005.003, reinstall Windows,
    > or move the disk to another computer and rename the update.sys file
    > so it cannot load.
    >
    > This is my previous test of P4P800SE BIOS.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=nospam-2908042346350001%40192.168.1.177

    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Many thanks Paul for your very informative message. I am not yet in trouble
    as I have been cautiously following the SP2/Prescott stories
    but have not actually tried SP2

    Your suggestion to put the hard drive with the SP2 modification into another
    computer to remove the update file is an excellent one if I get onto
    trouble.
    Unfortunately, none of my other motherboards have SATA connectors, although
    in a pinch I could install a spare ribbon IDE drive in the P4P800SE, install
    XP from scratch, then put the
    SP2 inoperable boot SATA disk in as a non boot drive long enough to access
    and remove the offending file..

    Off the top of your head, does the removal of the update fdile (which
    presumably prevents any microcode corrections or updates from installing)
    result in
    less satisfactory performance of the Prescott? It would appear that, at
    least in certain circumstances, the updates have some merit..

    Also do you have any feeling regarding the likelihood of being able to use
    the TrueImage restore mechanism to restore the old C image (pre-SP2) if the
    computer is in the hung state which is the subject of all the Prescott/SP2
    problems

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:14:38 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <414292f0_3@corp.newsgroups.com>, "\"Outback\" Jon"
    ><kc2bne@mh.no.spam.online.net> wrote:
    >
    >> John M. Hunt wrote:
    >> > How does one disable the L1 and L2 cache in the bios setup program
    >> > for a P4P800SE? The cache settings certainly don't jump right out at
    >> > you, or maybe i am blind.
    >>
    >> I can't be of any help, but I am curious as to why you'd want to disable the
    >> cache...
    >
    >He is trying to escape the clutches of the WinXP SP2 update.
    >
    >Methinks he is screwed. In my research so far today, I've uncovered
    >a number of things missing from the AMI BIOS, and this just adds
    >another one to the list. I don't see an L1/L2 disable function.
    >(If there was a hot key to throw the BIOS into some kind of debug
    >mode, that is the only extreme hypothesis I can think of...)
    >
    >I tried an experiment just now, using a recipe that worked in the
    >past with Award BIOS, where you could use a microcode from another
    >BIOS. The program CTMC accesses a built in microcode function that
    >seems to be implemented in the Award BIOS - it allows programmatic
    >way to get out of this jam. I tried it on my P4C800-E Deluxe
    >with the original factory 1014 BIOS on it. My Northwood is at
    >revision 17, and I got a revision 21 microcode to try and update
    >it. Unfortunately, CTMC says the microcode update function is not
    >supported, and because that function was specified at a particular
    >interrupt number and function code (D042) by Intel, my theory was
    >both the AMI and the Award BIOSes would work. Alas, such is not
    >to be.
    >
    >John will have to flash up to 1005 or 1005.003, reinstall Windows,
    >or move the disk to another computer and rename the update.sys file
    >so it cannot load.

    Paul,
    Why couldn't he leave the drive in his computer and rename update.sys
    from the Repair Console, as Microsoft suggests?

    Ron

    "Milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:14:38 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <414292f0_3@corp.newsgroups.com>, "\"Outback\" Jon"
    > ><kc2bne@mh.no.spam.online.net> wrote:

    > >> I can't be of any help, but I am curious as to why you'd want to
    disable the
    > >> cache...
    > >
    > >He is trying to escape the clutches of the WinXP SP2 update.
    > >
    > >Methinks he is screwed. In my research so far today, I've uncovered
    > >a number of things missing from the AMI BIOS, and this just adds
    > >another one to the list. I don't see an L1/L2 disable function.
    > >(If there was a hot key to throw the BIOS into some kind of debug
    > >mode, that is the only extreme hypothesis I can think of...)
    > >
    > >I tried an experiment just now, using a recipe that worked in the
    > >past with Award BIOS, where you could use a microcode from another
    > >BIOS. The program CTMC accesses a built in microcode function that
    > >seems to be implemented in the Award BIOS - it allows programmatic
    > >way to get out of this jam. I tried it on my P4C800-E Deluxe
    > >with the original factory 1014 BIOS on it. My Northwood is at
    > >revision 17, and I got a revision 21 microcode to try and update
    > >it. Unfortunately, CTMC says the microcode update function is not
    > >supported, and because that function was specified at a particular
    > >interrupt number and function code (D042) by Intel, my theory was
    > >both the AMI and the Award BIOSes would work. Alas, such is not
    > >to be.
    > >
    > >John will have to flash up to 1005 or 1005.003, reinstall Windows,
    > >or move the disk to another computer and rename the update.sys file
    > >so it cannot load.
    >
    > Paul,
    > Why couldn't he leave the drive in his computer and rename update.sys
    > from the Repair Console, as Microsoft suggests?
    >

    > Ron

    Yes, that is a possibility if the uppity Repair Console will cooperate. If
    the necessity arises ( I am not yet in trouble) I will try that first as it
    is an excellent suggestion

    John M. Hunt

Asus BIOS Cache Motherboards