hard drive space

i have 2 hard drives and i would like to change the
directory to the temp file which is created every time i
download. the current hard drive which the
download 'temp file' is pointed to does not have enough
space before i install to the other (larger) drive...
can i change the path of the temp file which is created
upon download to the hard drive with more space available?
i cant create any more space on my smaller drive and i
really would like to download a demo that is 750mb but i
am not able to even though i direct the download to my
large hard drive due to this temp file issue..!! help!!
6 answers Last reply
More about hard drive space

    "mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i have 2 hard drives and i would like to change the
    > directory to the temp file which is created every time i
    > download. the current hard drive which the
    > download 'temp file' is pointed to does not have enough
    > space before i install to the other (larger) drive...
    > can i change the path of the temp file which is created
    > upon download to the hard drive with more space available?
    > i cant create any more space on my smaller drive and i
    > really would like to download a demo that is 750mb but i
    > am not able to even though i direct the download to my
    > large hard drive due to this temp file issue..!! help!!

    Control Panel / System / Advanced / Environmental Variables

    The subject is actually covered in detail in the Windows Help
    files: Start / Help / Search / type temp / Setting Environmental
    Variables.

    ok i found where u r speaking of - but - how do i change
    the path?? i c the edit button but after clicking it the
    regular path name, like:C:\local settings.... does not
    appear. instead it looks like this:
    %userprofile%localsettings with no drive to indicate the
    path..??? help again pls!!!!
    i cant find in help files how to edit these environmental
    varibles either...what the heck is with the % signs??
    thanks

    If you would read the answer from Pegasus - he said all the necessary
    instructions were in the Help file on your computer. Go read them.

    > ok i found where u r speaking of - but - how do i change
    > the path?? i c the edit button but after clicking it the
    > regular path name, like:C:\local settings.... does not
    > appear. instead it looks like this:
    > %userprofile%localsettings with no drive to indicate the
    > path..??? help again pls!!!!
    > i cant find in help files how to edit these environmental
    > varibles either...what the heck is with the % signs??
    > thanks

    i cant find any help files on editing the environmental
    varibles!!

    I will repeat my previous instructions in long-hand:

    1. Click Start
    2. Click Help
    3. Click the Search tab
    4. Type the word temp
    5. Double-click "Setting environmental variables"
    6. Read the explanations
    7. Click "Related Topics" at the bottom

    > i cant find any help files on editing the environmental
    > varibles!!

    sorry there r no instructions on how to edit the
    environmental varibles no matter how many times u tell me
    how to go to the help files for them....
    i cannot find an explanation for changing a path that
    looks like this: %userprofile%\localsettings\temp
    that string is pointing to my c drive and i would like to
    change it to my f drive. how this is done is not
    explained in any of the files u r referring to, even
    the "related topics" which actually just run u in a
    circle back to where u start.
    will u try and edit the TEMP varible yourself so that we
    could uderstand eachother better please.

Download Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP