how do i install 2 hard drives and 2 cd burners on p5gd2 p..

i am a newbie with computers, so the following discourse might seem a
bit redundant and i know just enough to get into trouble ;)
i have 2 western digital 40 gig hard drives and 2 cd burners. in my
old mother board they connected to the primary and secondary IDE
sockets in pairs. yet, in the p5gd2 premium
(see http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket775/p5gd2-p/overview.HTM
) motherboard there is only one IDE socket (a blue 40 pin socket
located on the bottom edge of the mobo).

i can connect the two hard drives to the IDE socket, but then how do i
connect the 2 cd burners to the mother board?

i have heard that the hard drives might be able to connect to the mobo
through the pci sockets with a special card which would free up the
IDE for the burners, but would the computer be able to boot up in this
configuration?

the mobo package came with a hdd cable and a cdrom cable- why supply
both if there is but the one IDE socket? or can the red sec raid_1
sockets be used for the hard drives ?

the specification
( see http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5GD2%20Premium&langs=09 )
describes the storage as having an intel southbridge supporting 1 x
ultra dma and a ITE 8212fIDE raid controller supporting 2 x ultra
dma. my interpretation of this is that the intel southbridge works
with the blue IDE connector "PRI_IDE1" and raid controller
communicates with the two red sockets PRI_RAID1 and SEC_RAID1 (see
lowermost of the figure . my reasoning is that while the two red
sockets are for RAID, they nevertheless could support the cd burners .
would then the total of 3 dma sockets support a total of 6 devices on
three cables (both hard drives or cd burners)? can the computer only
boot up via the primary IDE cable with the hard drive on the master?

to reiterate (please be patient) how do i get 2 hard drives and 2 cd
burners to connect to this mobo when there is only one primary ide
socket.

please correct me and discuss.

next, can the mobo support windows 98?
More about install hard drives burners p5gd2

    on a rough guess looking at the PDF manual...hook one drive each to the 40
    pin RAID connectors..the red ones...then you will have to configure the
    setup...just because they are connected there does not mean you have to run
    RAID..at least that is how my A7N is...page 2-25 of the PDF my corresponde
    with your manual

    "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message news:<E2K0d.45486$Nd6.1530878@news20.bellglobal.com>...
    > on a rough guess looking at the PDF manual...hook one drive each to the 40
    > pin RAID connectors..the red ones...then you will have to configure the
    > setup...just because they are connected there does not mean you have to run
    > RAID..at least that is how my A7N is...page 2-25 of the PDF my corresponde
    > with your manual

    please excuse my ignorance, is there any reason why both hard drives
    cannot go on just one RAID connector as master and slave?

    also, the manual makes a big deal about using ATA cables for the hard
    drives on the RAID port-why? the mother board package came with two
    cables: one labled "hard dive which has a blue connector at one end
    and black/grey (master/slave) at the other, the other cable is
    labelled "cdrom" and has only black colored connectors. aside from the
    different colors, the cables look practically identical with respect
    to length, number of pin sockets----what is the difference?

    if i must connect each hard drive to a seperate raid socket, i suppose
    i must get another ATA cable, but are they specifically identified by
    their colors?

    thanks

    on the steep part of the learning curve :\

    zark wrote:

    > "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message news:<E2K0d.45486$Nd6.1530878@news20.bellglobal.com>...
    >
    >>on a rough guess looking at the PDF manual...hook one drive each to the 40
    >>pin RAID connectors..the red ones...then you will have to configure the
    >>setup...just because they are connected there does not mean you have to run
    >>RAID..at least that is how my A7N is...page 2-25 of the PDF my corresponde
    >>with your manual
    >

    > please excuse my ignorance, is there any reason why both hard drives
    > cannot go on just one RAID connector as master and slave?

    Performance. You can attach two devices to each
    IDE controller, but the controller can only read
    from or write to one of them at a time. Transfers
    between IDE devices go hence go faster if they are
    on separate controllers.

    Obviously, if you have four devices and only two
    controllers, some of the transfers are going to have
    to take place between devices on the same controller
    and you will have to simply put up with the penalties
    inherent in that process. All you can do is try to
    optimize things - which in your case would be to make
    the faster devices - the hard drives - the masters
    and the slower devices the slaves.

    > also, the manual makes a big deal about using ATA cables for the hard
    > drives on the RAID port-why? the mother board package came with two
    > cables: one labled "hard dive which has a blue connector at one end
    > and black/grey (master/slave) at the other, the other cable is
    > labelled "cdrom" and has only black colored connectors. aside from the
    > different colors, the cables look practically identical with respect
    > to length, number of pin sockets----what is the difference?

    Your cables *might* in fact be identical save for
    the superficial differences in colouring and labelling.

    However, there is a good chance that one is an 80
    conductor cable for faster ATA100 or ATA133 hard
    drives and one is a 40 conductor cable for slower
    things like optical drives and older hard drives.

    You can use the 40 conductor cables with modern IDE
    hard drives, but sometimes you might take a bit of
    a performance hit. Most people never notice the
    difference.

    > if i must connect each hard drive to a seperate raid socket, i suppose
    > i must get another ATA cable, but are they specifically identified by
    > their colors?

    Just make sure you get an 80 conductor cable.

    --
    Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
    Do not remove anything.

    Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<P3s1d.423415$gE.297177@pd7tw3no>...
    > zark wrote:
    >
    > > "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message news:<E2K0d.45486$Nd6.1530878@news20.bellglobal.com>...
    > >
    > >>on a rough guess looking at the PDF manual...hook one drive each to the 40
    > >>pin RAID connectors..the red ones...then you will have to configure the
    > >>setup...just because they are connected there does not mean you have to run
    > >>RAID..at least that is how my A7N is...page 2-25 of the PDF my corresponde
    > >>with your manual
    > >

    > > please excuse my ignorance, is there any reason why both hard drives
    > > cannot go on just one RAID connector as master and slave?
    >
    > Performance. You can attach two devices to each
    > IDE controller, but the controller can only read
    > from or write to one of them at a time. Transfers
    > between IDE devices go hence go faster if they are
    > on separate controllers.
    >
    > Obviously, if you have four devices and only two
    > controllers, some of the transfers are going to have
    > to take place between devices on the same controller
    > and you will have to simply put up with the penalties
    > inherent in that process. All you can do is try to
    > optimize things - which in your case would be to make
    > the faster devices - the hard drives - the masters
    > and the slower devices the slaves.
    >

    > > also, the manual makes a big deal about using ATA cables for the hard
    > > drives on the RAID port-why? the mother board package came with two
    > > cables: one labled "hard dive which has a blue connector at one end
    > > and black/grey (master/slave) at the other, the other cable is
    > > labelled "cdrom" and has only black colored connectors. aside from the
    > > different colors, the cables look practically identical with respect
    > > to length, number of pin sockets----what is the difference?
    >
    > Your cables *might* in fact be identical save for
    > the superficial differences in colouring and labelling.
    >
    > However, there is a good chance that one is an 80
    > conductor cable for faster ATA100 or ATA133 hard
    > drives and one is a 40 conductor cable for slower
    > things like optical drives and older hard drives.
    >
    > You can use the 40 conductor cables with modern IDE
    > hard drives, but sometimes you might take a bit of
    > a performance hit. Most people never notice the
    > difference.
    >

    > > if i must connect each hard drive to a seperate raid socket, i suppose
    > > i must get another ATA cable, but are they specifically identified by
    > > their colors?
    >
    > Just make sure you get an 80 conductor cable.

    thanks, i took a closer look at the cables and the hdd cable does have
    80 wires, whereas the cdrom cable only 40.

    The cable with the blue connector is for the ATA133 standard. Plug
    the blue end into your motherboard, and the other ends into your
    devices. The blue end has to go into the motherboard.

    The other cable is the 40 conductor... sounds like they tried to save
    a little money, like a nickel or so. You can use the ATA133 cables
    just fine for your CD drive as well. With today's CDR speeds, it just
    might be able to take advantage of the newer cables, but I doubt it.

    On 14 Sep 2004 05:43:10 -0700, etc1760@yahoo.com (zark) wrote:

    >Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<P3s1d.423415$gE.297177@pd7tw3no>...
    >> zark wrote:

    >> > please excuse my ignorance, is there any reason why both hard drives
    >> > cannot go on just one RAID connector as master and slave?
    >>
    >> Performance. You can attach two devices to each
    >> IDE controller, but the controller can only read
    >> from or write to one of them at a time. Transfers
    >> between IDE devices go hence go faster if they are
    >> on separate controllers.
    >>
    >> Obviously, if you have four devices and only two
    >> controllers, some of the transfers are going to have
    >> to take place between devices on the same controller
    >> and you will have to simply put up with the penalties
    >> inherent in that process. All you can do is try to
    >> optimize things - which in your case would be to make
    >> the faster devices - the hard drives - the masters
    >> and the slower devices the slaves.
    >>

    >> > also, the manual makes a big deal about using ATA cables for the hard
    >> > drives on the RAID port-why? the mother board package came with two
    >> > cables: one labled "hard dive which has a blue connector at one end
    >> > and black/grey (master/slave) at the other, the other cable is
    >> > labelled "cdrom" and has only black colored connectors. aside from the
    >> > different colors, the cables look practically identical with respect
    >> > to length, number of pin sockets----what is the difference?
    >>
    >> Your cables *might* in fact be identical save for
    >> the superficial differences in colouring and labelling.
    >>
    >> However, there is a good chance that one is an 80
    >> conductor cable for faster ATA100 or ATA133 hard
    >> drives and one is a 40 conductor cable for slower
    >> things like optical drives and older hard drives.
    >>
    >> You can use the 40 conductor cables with modern IDE
    >> hard drives, but sometimes you might take a bit of
    >> a performance hit. Most people never notice the
    >> difference.
    >>

    >> > if i must connect each hard drive to a seperate raid socket, i suppose
    >> > i must get another ATA cable, but are they specifically identified by
    >> > their colors?
    >>
    >> Just make sure you get an 80 conductor cable.
    >

    >thanks, i took a closer look at the cables and the hdd cable does have
    >80 wires, whereas the cdrom cable only 40.

Asus Burner Hard Drives CD-Rom Motherboards