CDRW + Roxio Easy CD 5.1 for files Backup Please help!

Hello.

I am having an awful time trying to figure out how to use my Lite-ON
24102M with my Dell Windows XP system which came with Roxio Easy CD
Creator 5.1

I've got the Finalize Data Disc down pat.

What I am having trouble with is not finalizing.

Maybe what I want it to do, it doesn't do.

Before I start explaining I want you to know that I've looked at the
entire roxio manual and have looked at cDR FAQ's but I've been getting
distracted from all of the information "Everything you Didn't ever
want to know about CD-R technology", that a few hours later, I know a
little more but not what I wanted to find out in the first place.

With that in mind, I hope someone here can help me:

This is what I want my CDRW to do:

Suppose all my important files total about 20 megabytes.
Suppose I want to use one CD-R disc to make daily backups of these
files
Since one disc has a 650 MB capacity I figure I can use one disc per
month (more or less as the size of my files shrink and grow)

Does it work like this? :

20 MBs worth of files on Day 1 leaving me with 630 megs left
20 MBs worth of the same files on Day 2 leaving me with 610 megs left
20 MBs worth of the same files on Day 3 leaving me with 590 megs left
…and so on

Then I would like to be able to read from the disc, the 20 megs of Day
1 or Day 3 or Day 6 any time I want.

I have been trying to do this without much luck.

I've been following the directions in Roxio's Easy CD Creator 5.1
"make a multisession CD" "Finalize Session Don't finalize CD"

The first time I did this I saved document1.doc
The second time I did this to the SAME CD, I saved document2.doc
When I tried to look for document1.doc on the CD, it wasn't there.
The third time I did this to the same CD I saved document1.doc again,
and when I tried to look for document2.doc it wasn't there either.

I don't understand why if I burn a file on a CD-R, then I can't access
it later.

Also, I'm having trouble understanding the feature "read track""
I thought it meant that I am reading a "session" and then copying it
back to my hard drive in case I need it. No, that is not what seems
to be happening.
I started reading the tracks and was prompted to save them as .ISO
files.
Later in windows explorer, I double-clicked an .ISO file and roxio
behaved as if it wanted to burn again!

It seems as if there are MANY ways to burn data, but few ways to
access it!

I haven't tried "Disk-at-once, Allow another recording" yet.
It seems to be geared towards audio files not data files, so I'm not
sure if I can use it.

Well, I'm sorry this message went on so long.

I'd appreciate any help,
New

Version 5.1 does not work well with XP. Roxio has a free
download update to version 5.3.5 which fixes the problems
with XP. It is a big download, almost a whole new program.
Get it at
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv5.jhtml
Scroll to bottom for the Basic update.

"New" <newjunk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> [...]
copying it
| back to my hard drive in case I need it. No, that is not
what seems
| to be happening.
| I started reading the tracks and was prompted to save them
as .ISO
| files.
| Later in windows explorer, I double-clicked an .ISO file
and roxio
| behaved as if it wanted to burn again!
|
| It seems as if there are MANY ways to burn data, but few
ways to
| access it!
|

| I haven't tried "Disk-at-once, Allow another recording"
yet.
| It seems to be geared towards audio files not data files,
so I'm not
| sure if I can use it.
|
| Well, I'm sorry this message went on so long.

peter

You may update the roxio burner or use other burning rom, e.g. Nero 5.5 or above.
Also, for daily backup, I would suggest you to use CD/RW disk instead of CD-R. InCD of nero is a good choice, easy to use as a big floppy disk.
Though you can use multi-session to burn data, it it not so convenience as using CD/RW. Also, each session would occupy the disk space. So, a 650MB CD may only store 25 files of 20MB each. It also has a potential risk that all the data files on the CD may not be read if a failed burn happened suddenly.

Peter

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> [...]
> copying it
> | back to my hard drive in case I need it. No, that is not
> what seems
> | to be happening.
> | I started reading the tracks and was prompted to save them
> as .ISO
> | files.
> | Later in windows explorer, I double-clicked an .ISO file
> and roxio
> | behaved as if it wanted to burn again!
> |
> | It seems as if there are MANY ways to burn data, but few
> ways to
> | access it!
> |

> | I haven't tried "Disk-at-once, Allow another recording"
> yet.
> | It seems to be geared towards audio files not data files,
> so I'm not
> | sure if I can use it.
> |
> | Well, I'm sorry this message went on so long.

use a cdrw disc and format in "my computer".Then it's as simple as saving
your files each day to that disc.You'll only get about 530mb of usable disc
storage on a 700mb disc,but you can delete the days you no longer need and
reuse that space