USB 2.0 won't work at intended speed

I am receiving the message "The USB Mass Storage Device
is a HI_SPEED USB device and will function at reduced
speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port. There are
not HI-SPEED USB host controllers installed on this
computer." I visited Microsoft's website and installing
SP1, this issue is supposed to be resolved, but it did
not fix the problem. I am running XP Pro on a Pent IV
Sony Vaio. Any suggestions?

peter

Are you sure your laptop has USB 2.0 support?
If not, you need to buy a pcmcia USB 2.0 card with external PS/2 power plug.
--
Peter

"Lisa" wrote:

> I am receiving the message "The USB Mass Storage Device
> is a HI_SPEED USB device and will function at reduced
> speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port. There are
> not HI-SPEED USB host controllers installed on this
> computer." I visited Microsoft's website and installing
> SP1, this issue is supposed to be resolved, but it did
> not fix the problem. I am running XP Pro on a Pent IV
> Sony Vaio. Any suggestions?

peter

Furthermore, if your laptop has USB 2.0 support, go to device manager/hardware/universal serial bus controller/ and then unistall the open host controller than reboot. After reboot, windows should found new hardware and install the drivers. Go to device manager/hardwares/universal serial bus controller/ then look for the enhanced host controller. If you can find it, the USB 2.0 should work properly.
--
Peter

"Lisa" wrote:

> I am receiving the message "The USB Mass Storage Device
> is a HI_SPEED USB device and will function at reduced
> speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port. There are
> not HI-SPEED USB host controllers installed on this
> computer." I visited Microsoft's website and installing
> SP1, this issue is supposed to be resolved, but it did
> not fix the problem. I am running XP Pro on a Pent IV
> Sony Vaio. Any suggestions?

chen

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Is "high speed" activated in Bios? "full speed" is sometimes set instead
(which, I belive, is slower than "high speed").

// Chen

"Lisa" <leesimpson@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I am receiving the message "The USB Mass Storage Device
> is a HI_SPEED USB device and will function at reduced
> speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port. There are
> not HI-SPEED USB host controllers installed on this
> computer." I visited Microsoft's website and installing
> SP1, this issue is supposed to be resolved, but it did
> not fix the problem. I am running XP Pro on a Pent IV
> Sony Vaio. Any suggestions?

HI_SPEED USB controller are listed as "enchanced" USB controllers. If you
do not have one listed, you do not have USB 2.0 on your laptop. You will
need to ad a PCMCIA USB 2.0 controller.