Plug & Play O/S Yes/No ?

What are the pros and cons for the BIOS setting Plug & Play O/S Yes/No ?

Just ordered an A7V880. Yeh!

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

If you install; WinME, Win2K or WinXP -- Set PnP OS to YES. Very little or no chance of
hardware conflicts that way.

Dave

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message news:4HX0d.31368$9Y5.2774@fed1read02...
| What are the pros and cons for the BIOS setting Plug & Play O/S Yes/No ?
|
| Just ordered an A7V880. Yeh!
|
| --
| Ed Light
|
| Smiley :-/
| MS Smiley :-\
|
| Send spam to the FTC at
| uce@ftc.gov
| Thanks, robots.

milleron

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:00:30 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>If you install; WinME, Win2K or WinXP -- Set PnP OS to YES. Very little or no chance of
>hardware conflicts that way.

Except that the Microsoft Knowledge Base suggests setting this option
to "No" for all their operating systems from Windows 95 on.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321779

Computers running MS operating systems from Windows 98 onward are
usually installed with the ACPI option on. ACPI, as long as the BIOS
supports it, makes this setting irrelevant, but if the BIOS does not
support it or if there is a problem with ACPI implementation, then
even ACPI-compliant operating systems, including Windows XP, should be
set to "No."

This position is confirmed at Adrian Rojak's BIOS-Optimization Guide
http://www.rojakpot.com/. To quote the guide, "To sum it all up,
except for certain cases, it is highly recommended that you to set
this BIOS feature to No, irrespective of the operating system you
actually use. Exceptions to this would be the inability of the BIOS to
configure the devices properly in PnP mode and a specific need to
manually configure one or more of the devices."

>Dave

>"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message news:4HX0d.31368$9Y5.2774@fed1read02...
>| What are the pros and cons for the BIOS setting Plug & Play O/S Yes/No ?
>|
>| Just ordered an A7V880. Yeh!
>|
>| --
>| Ed Light

Ron

I've never heard Adrian Rojak and frankly, anybody can have a web site so I am not
impressed. After viewing the site, even less impressed.

I can state my own experiences in building and repairing thousands of computers and I know
the BIOS manufacturers (Phoenix, Award, AMI, etc.) have worked with Microsoft on making the
BIOS work with the OS as best as possible.

So I will emphatically restate -- If you install; WinME, Win2K or WinXP -- Set PnP OS to
YES.

Win95 and Win98 OSs are not PnP capable enough. WinME was the first (and last) Win9x OS to
really be called a PnP OS.

As for the MS KB article cited, I concur with the statement --
"Therefore, for any computer with a buggy ACPI BIOS, set PNP OS to No"
However, who really knows what BIOS is buggy ?
That is why I always use the latest BIOS when installing or upgrading an OS on any platform.

Dave

"Milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
| On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:00:30 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
|
| >If you install; WinME, Win2K or WinXP -- Set PnP OS to YES. Very little or no chance of
| >hardware conflicts that way.
|
| Except that the Microsoft Knowledge Base suggests setting this option
| to "No" for all their operating systems from Windows 95 on.
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321779
|
| Computers running MS operating systems from Windows 98 onward are
| usually installed with the ACPI option on. ACPI, as long as the BIOS
| supports it, makes this setting irrelevant, but if the BIOS does not
| support it or if there is a problem with ACPI implementation, then
| even ACPI-compliant operating systems, including Windows XP, should be
| set to "No."
|
| This position is confirmed at Adrian Rojak's BIOS-Optimization Guide
| http://www.rojakpot.com/. To quote the guide, "To sum it all up,
| except for certain cases, it is highly recommended that you to set
| this BIOS feature to No, irrespective of the operating system you
| actually use. Exceptions to this would be the inability of the BIOS to
| configure the devices properly in PnP mode and a specific need to
| manually configure one or more of the devices."
|

| >Dave
|
| >"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message news:4HX0d.31368$9Y5.2774@fed1read02...
| >| What are the pros and cons for the BIOS setting Plug & Play O/S Yes/No ?
| >|
| >| Just ordered an A7V880. Yeh!
| >|
| >| --
| >| Ed Light
|

| Ron

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> What are the pros and cons for the BIOS setting Plug & Play O/S Yes/No ?

I recently got through researching that issue. The consensus is for W98 &
W2K you say, 'yes'. The consensus also is that it makes no difference
'yes/no' for XP and W2K3.

If you know of a better site on BIOS settings than Rojak's
let us know. AFAIK, it's the best out there:
http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz.htm

> Based on what criteria ?

The quality of the content.

He's also authored a book on the subject.
You'll find many references to him and his site
on the web.

I could not find an "authorative" site referencing Adrian Rojak or the web site.
I would consider BIOS vendors and hardware manufacturers authorities.

Can you show me an ASUS, AMI, Phoenix, etc URL boasting the qualities of said person and his
site ?

When it comes to web sites I am very dubious. For example, Steve Gibson is NOT an authority
on COMSEC yet many hype the site. Another example is the web site
http://www.flat-earth.org/ The Flat Earth Society would lead you to believe the world is
flat.

Dave

"Raymond" <StopSpam@Now.net> wrote in message news:HP61d.2295$5t4.770@trnddc01...

| > Based on what criteria ?
|
| The quality of the content.
|
| He's also authored a book on the subject.
| You'll find many references to him and his site
| on the web.

milleron

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:24:12 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>I've never heard Adrian Rojak and frankly, anybody can have a web site so I am not
>impressed. After viewing the site, even less impressed.
Sorry you weren't impressed. However, you're about the only user who
hasn't heard of Adrian's BIOS Guide -- it's the most widely recognized
and most often cited authoritative BIOS site on the WWW.

>I can state my own experiences in building and repairing thousands of computers and I know
>the BIOS manufacturers (Phoenix, Award, AMI, etc.) have worked with Microsoft on making the
>BIOS work with the OS as best as possible.
>
>So I will emphatically restate -- If you install; WinME, Win2K or WinXP -- Set PnP OS to
>YES.
To each his own, but you're in the minority on this one.

>Win95 and Win98 OSs are not PnP capable enough. WinME was the first (and last) Win9x OS to
>really be called a PnP OS.
>
>As for the MS KB article cited, I concur with the statement --
>"Therefore, for any computer with a buggy ACPI BIOS, set PNP OS to No"
>However, who really knows what BIOS is buggy ?
>That is why I always use the latest BIOS when installing or upgrading an OS on any platform.
And if your BIOS is not buggy, then ACPI-compliant operating systems
ignore it, anyway, so it makes sense to set it to "No" just in case
anything ever goes wrong. It makes sense to set it to "Yes" only if
there is an ongoing hardware problem.

>Dave
>

>"Milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
>| On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:00:30 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
>| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>|
>| >If you install; WinME, Win2K or WinXP -- Set PnP OS to YES. Very little or no chance of
>| >hardware conflicts that way.
>|
>| Except that the Microsoft Knowledge Base suggests setting this option
>| to "No" for all their operating systems from Windows 95 on.
>| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321779
>|
>| Computers running MS operating systems from Windows 98 onward are
>| usually installed with the ACPI option on. ACPI, as long as the BIOS
>| supports it, makes this setting irrelevant, but if the BIOS does not
>| support it or if there is a problem with ACPI implementation, then
>| even ACPI-compliant operating systems, including Windows XP, should be
>| set to "No."
>|
>| This position is confirmed at Adrian Rojak's BIOS-Optimization Guide
>| http://www.rojakpot.com/. To quote the guide, "To sum it all up,
>| except for certain cases, it is highly recommended that you to set
>| this BIOS feature to No, irrespective of the operating system you
>| actually use. Exceptions to this would be the inability of the BIOS to
>| configure the devices properly in PnP mode and a specific need to
>| manually configure one or more of the devices."
>|

>| >Dave

>| >|
>| >|

>| Ron

Ron

FWIW, Adrian Rojak is not the correct name, his name is Adrian Wong,
I'm not sure where he came up with the "Rojak's pot" web site name.

And yes, Steve Gibson is quite the programming eccentric, but I still
like to visit his site for interesting info with Steve's special
"twist" applied thereto.

As to the flat earth web site, well, one can "buy in" to just about
any religion now can't they?
--
Best regards,
Kyle