A7V880 - Boots Mobile XP ok?

Getting an A7V880 which says not to use a cpu under 1000 mhz. I have a
mobile XP 2200 with 5x fsb startup multiplier. At 400 it would be 1000mhz,
but it probably proclaims itself for 266. Will it boot up enough to get in
the bios and change the multiplier and fsb?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
3 answers Last reply
More about a7v880 boots mobile

    "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
    > Getting an A7V880 which says not to use a cpu under 1000 mhz. I have a
    > mobile XP 2200 with 5x fsb startup multiplier. At 400 it would be 1000mhz,
    > but it probably proclaims itself for 266. Will it boot up enough to get in
    > the bios and change the multiplier and fsb?

    Oops. 6x fsb startup multiplier.

    (Right now it's pin-modded to 10x in an kt400.)
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    In article <z7Y0d.31461$9Y5.16775@fed1read02>, "Ed Light"
    <nobody@nobody.there> wrote:

    > "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
    > > Getting an A7V880 which says not to use a cpu under 1000 mhz. I have a
    > > mobile XP 2200 with 5x fsb startup multiplier. At 400 it would be 1000mhz,
    > > but it probably proclaims itself for 266. Will it boot up enough to get in
    > > the bios and change the multiplier and fsb?
    >
    > Oops. 6x fsb startup multiplier.
    >
    > (Right now it's pin-modded to 10x in an kt400.)

    Looking at a list of processors, Athlons under 1000MHz use CPU_clk=100
    which gives FSB200. It would suggest the board likes FSB266, FSB333,
    and FSB400, and your mobile at FSB266 should meet that requirement.
    I doubt the board can sense the core frequency. 133x6=800?

    The voltage sense will be off, as the coding is different for mobile
    versus ordinary AthlonXP. At least according to the fab51 web page:

    http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

    Since the Asus BIOS probably doesn't parse the fact it is a XP-M,
    it will prevent what it thinks is undervolting. If this is an
    attempt to build a cool PC versus an overclocked PC, you may need
    to hack the Vcore circuit (or the BIOS). If overclocking, the extra
    voltage will be needed anyway.

    Sounds like a safe enough experiment :-)

    Best guess,
    Paul

    Thanks, Paul.

    My present kt400 reads it as 1.52v, which is how the desktop chips interpret
    1.35v mobile, so I'm hoping the kt880 will do the same. Then I can set it
    higher when needed.

    This is a great page:

    http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier/AXP_Multiplier.htm

    --