Broadband Bandwidth Demand to Jump 10X by 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

cTs Corvette

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
The operators won't do things to keep up with the demand, they'll just do things like lowering our bandwidth cap and charging more for "streaming" packages.

mious

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
nope, it probably means more bandwidth caps and even more propaganda about how the average user only consumes 5 gb a month

cushgod

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
The companies that run/provide/create our internet networks are using broadband demand as a cop out. They are a butch of BS'ers. they want to charge per bit. F that. Europe and 3rd world countries are moving data faster than us, and in the end, faster data means faster learning and productivity. So will we be dumber in the future because we are on a slower internet and the rest of the world is moving faster. You know instead of making sure we are armed and ready(military) and (ObamaCare crap), why not arm and ready every american with knowledge, then we would be applicable for jobs, then we wouldnt need to go to a doctor for BS and could be healthier based on knowledge from the net. FAST affordable internet , Obamanet... lol I had to....

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]LOL, the only people on dialup (who want to be on dialup) are inner city "underprivileged" individuals and grandma's. Oh and people fed up with overpriced cable/dsl internet.[/citation]
Are you kidding me? I have to pay $70 a month for hi speed internet and "underprivileged" people get it for $9.99 because they are poor. Sometimes I don't know why I even get up to go to work, I should stay home and get everything for free or cheaper.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]Maybe this means providers will finally start to really upgrade their networks and we can start to get more fiber optic.[/citation]

no it means they will lower the caps to 50gb a month before throttle, and if you pass it to often, they will say you are a pirate and drop you outright.

[citation][nom]cushgod[/nom]The companies that run/provide/create our internet networks are using broadband demand as a cop out. They are a butch of BS'ers. they want to charge per bit. F that. Europe and 3rd world countries are moving data faster than us, and in the end, faster data means faster learning and productivity. So will we be dumber in the future because we are on a slower internet and the rest of the world is moving faster. You know instead of making sure we are armed and ready(military) and (ObamaCare crap), why not arm and ready every american with knowledge, then we would be applicable for jobs, then we wouldnt need to go to a doctor for BS and could be healthier based on knowledge from the net. FAST affordable internet , Obamanet... lol I had to....[/citation]

id rather government be my healthcare provider than a private corp that if i have any bill over 10k they would higher a private investigator and try as hard as humanly possible to get out of paying anything, or better yet, while waiting for approval for meds on a time critical life threatening illness, they drag there butts for a bit, just till you are sick enough spending alot of money to make you better isnt an option, but spending a little on making you comfortable is... id rather die to a bureaucratic ineptness than die because a organization wants more money.

we severely need health care reforms, count yourself lucky if you have a decent plan, because mine constantly changes getting more and more restrictive, but would cost 1000$+ monthly if i bought similar coverage privately.

[citation][nom]mious[/nom]nope, it probably means more bandwidth caps and even more propaganda about how the average user only consumes 5 gb a month[/citation]
well, on average, people do use ~5-10GB/mo. But last I checked my router I was averaging 600GB/mo when watching HD shows, and ~100GB/mo when watch SD shows. Putting a cap or limit on my use will be the quickest way for me to stop watching netflix, and move on to more productive things in life.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]Are you kidding me? I have to pay $70 a month for hi speed internet and "underprivileged" people get it for $9.99 because they are poor. Sometimes I don't know why I even get up to go to work, I should stay home and get everything for free or cheaper.[/citation]You pay $70 a month to help offset the cost so the poor can get it for $9.99. :)

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
meh I don't see the need (currently) for more speed. I already have wireless 4G @100mbps and wired 1gpbs up and 1gpbs down.
only if prices went down... that could be good.

kevinf4ce

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
ou have wired 1 gbps up/down? a T3 is 100mbps...so what you have 10x T3 lines? What service provider even gives 1 gbps? Those are speeds you see at huge server farms.

Uh, T3 is 45 Mbps.

Evan20x

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
That is pretty insane that they estimated that much increase by 2015 compared to 2010. Every little kid is running around with a smartphone these days on an unlimited data plan.

Anyways on a somewhat unrelated note I'm stuck with dial up. They will never run broadband where I live so no worries on me using too much bandwidth. Ha! Right now the phone lines up my road are 50-60 years old and deteriorating. Random DC's. Connection hangs, etc. Rural America needs expansion for broadband!

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
"Bob, did you hear anything about the projected bandwidth increase?"

"Whatever. We have a monopoly here, why should we waste money on making our customers happier?"

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]meh I don't see the need (currently) for more speed. I already have wireless 4G @100mbps and wired 1gpbs up and 1gpbs down.only if prices went down... that could be good.[/citation]

Who the hell is your Wireless ISP?

Bullshit artist.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]meh I don't see the need (currently) for more speed. I already have wireless 4G @100mbps and wired 1gpbs up and 1gpbs down.only if prices went down... that could be good.[/citation]

Impossible. Not even wired networks in almost all parts of the US can match it without costing all of your limbs and organs.

Now if you lived in South Korea, where 1 Gb/s internet connection was announced to be the minimal connection speed for all internet users back before 2010...

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Now unless they take into consideration that audio files only get smaller, and HD video's are no longer doubled for their content (1080p doubled file size compared to 480/720p),then I don't think there's going to be much truth to this statement.
Now unless they come up with 1080p surround video (instead of audio) or multi video channel recordings getting really popular, taking twice the size, I think in 2015 we'll have just about as much bandwidth usage as before , perhaps twice as much but not more!

Status
Not open for further replies.