A8V Bios Help

I am trying to figure out how to set up my a8v for aggressive memory timings
and maybe a mild overclock. I am unfamiliar with this bios, I have had Abit
in the past. What ever happened to the good old days when you could
recognize where to put 2-2-2-6, T1 settings? I have been to Rojak's but
it's just too much. Anyone know where to find a guide for the a8v v2.0?
Thanks in advance!

Fx53
Corsair 3200 Twin XL
3 answers Last reply
More about bios help

    In article <vUa1d.20104$et4.4654@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>, "Craig"
    <cpaoli@pacbell.net> wrote:

    > I am trying to figure out how to set up my a8v for aggressive memory timings
    > and maybe a mild overclock. I am unfamiliar with this bios, I have had Abit
    > in the past. What ever happened to the good old days when you could
    > recognize where to put 2-2-2-6, T1 settings? I have been to Rojak's but
    > it's just too much. Anyone know where to find a guide for the a8v v2.0?
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Fx53
    > Corsair 3200 Twin XL

    This is the BIOS writer's guide for Athlon64. It has a section with the
    timing parameters. Not all of the AMD timing parameters are a function
    of the memory - some are specific to the motherboard implementation.
    Those would best be left at auto. (Pg.81)
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26094.PDF

    Here is a sample memory datasheet. There are five figures of read
    and write cycles at the end of the datasheet. There is a table of
    timing numbers (in nanoseconds - these have to be converted to
    clocks at 5 nanoseconds apiece). Notice how some of the timing
    parameters are interdependent - one timing parameter must be
    greater than the sum of a couple of others. This means you cannot
    arbitrarily crank down the numbers. If you do crank down the numbers,
    I think the burst of data can be aborted, and the memory bandwidth
    suffers. (Possibly a low Tras will do that.)

    (pg.58 DDR400 3-3-3 timings, figures pg.77-81)
    http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/dram/ddr/256MBDDRx4x8x16.pdf

    I have yet to see an authoritative description of setting timing
    parameters, so I hope the above two docs will give you some hints
    as to how it works.

    At PC3200 (DDR400), the definition of the SPD EEPROM is covered by
    the standards. That means the proper timing should already be there
    without having to set it. (I.e. Corsair would have put DDR400 timings
    in the SPD on the memory DIMM. For PC3500, PC3700, PC4000, this is
    normally not the case, and it is possible for those sticks, the SPD
    is still set to numbers appropriate for PC3200/DDR400. In those cases
    it is up to the user to set the timings.) Perhaps a Windows utility
    like CPUZ or Sandra, can verify that you've already got 2-2-2-6 ? If
    that is the case, it is pretty hard to twist the knob much tighter
    than that :-)

    If you are cranking the FSB, you'll have to back off on the timing
    numbers a bit. A good place to start, is changing Trcd from 2 to 3,
    as that is one way to encourage a higher clock. You should also set
    Vdimm according to the manufacturer's voltage limits - overvolting
    memory that cannot take it, is an expensive mistake.

    Check a review site like Anandtech, for recommendations on Tras.
    Wesley Fink usually runs tests to determine the range of numbers
    which give good bandwidth numbers. A higher number can sometimes
    be better, but it is a function of the chipset/BIOS, so someone
    else's experimental results are a good source of info.

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128&p=5

    HTH,
    Paul

    In article <nospam-1309040611470001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
    (Paul) wrote:

> [...]
    > it is up to the user to set the timings.) Perhaps a Windows utility
    > like CPUZ or Sandra, can verify that you've already got 2-2-2-6 ? If
    > that is the case, it is pretty hard to twist the knob much tighter
    > than that :-)
    >
    > If you are cranking the FSB, you'll have to back off on the timing
    > numbers a bit. A good place to start, is changing Trcd from 2 to 3,
    > as that is one way to encourage a higher clock. You should also set
    > Vdimm according to the manufacturer's voltage limits - overvolting
    > memory that cannot take it, is an expensive mistake.
    >
    > Check a review site like Anandtech, for recommendations on Tras.
    > Wesley Fink usually runs tests to determine the range of numbers
    > which give good bandwidth numbers. A higher number can sometimes
    > be better, but it is a function of the chipset/BIOS, so someone
    > else's experimental results are a good source of info.

    I didn't ask the question but that information is very useful, thanks :-)

    John

    Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.

    I did ask the question and i can't thank you enough! Sorry about the delay
    in my response, just got back from a friends.

Asus BIOS Motherboards