(SATA) Windows does not find my hard drive.

Every time i try to install windows on to my new serial
ATA hard drive it says it cant find any hard drives
installed but i heard that serial ATA hard drives just
need putting in and windows installed on them but it just
wont work. Please tell me what is wrong.
7 answers Last reply
More about sata windows find hard drive

    Single SATA win-xp pro installation step by step
    http://www.tek-tips.com/gfaqs.cfm/lev2/67/lev3/70/pid/779/fid/4641

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    Sandy said in news:1ded001c454a1$f4450b90$a101280a@phx.gbl:
    > Every time i try to install windows on to my new serial
    > ATA hard drive it says it cant find any hard drives
    > installed but i heard that serial ATA hard drives just
    > need putting in and windows installed on them but it just
    > wont work. Please tell me what is wrong.

    See that prompt at the start of the install saying to hit F6 to install
    mass storage (don't remember if it says SCSI)? Because mass storage
    devices that provide their own separate BIOS from the motherboard's are
    handled like SCSI devices (because SCSI host controllers also have their
    own BIOS), you need to hit F6 to have the install pause later to install
    the driver to support the controller for that mass storage device (i.e.,
    hard drive). You have to hit F6 if you use a SCSI controller card, and
    IDE controller card, or for the onboard SATA controller. So have a
    floppy ready with the SATA drivers on it, start the install, hit F6 when
    prompted, wait awhile for the first part of the install to run, and
    later you'll get prompted to insert the floppy with the drivers on it.

    *** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    First, many SATA controllers are also RAID controllers. If your is one of
    those, then you probably need to create a RAID arrary before attempting to
    install XP. The motherboard manual should say something about this. If you
    have a single SATA hard drive, it may automatically make an array of one
    disk, or you may need to use some custom setup option ot force this to
    happen.

    Second, XP does not yet have native support for SATA, so it ain't plug&play.
    You need to hit F6 during the installation of XP and feed the XP installer a
    floppy with SATA drivers on it. It must be a floppy. If the drivers came
    on a CD, you must copy them to a floppy. Be sure to copy everything in te
    SATA driver directory. I found that a file called "oemsetup.txt" was
    absolutely essential when loading XP. (I have an ASUS P4S8X motherboard.)

    In fact, instead of copying from the CD, first check to verify that you have
    the latest drivers. Also, check whether you have the latest motherboard
    BIOS.

    If the XP installation keeps balking, try using a disk preparation
    CD/floppy, such as nearly always comes with new hard drives. Can the disk
    preparation tools see the SATA drive? If it cannot, check connection and
    the RAID array thing I mentioned above. If it can see the disk, then the XP
    installer should also be able to see it, if you provide the latest drivers.

    "Sandy" <sand@fsmail.net> wrote in message
    > Every time i try to install windows on to my new serial
    > ATA hard drive it says it cant find any hard drives
    > installed but i heard that serial ATA hard drives just
    > need putting in and windows installed on them but it just
    > wont work. Please tell me what is wrong.

    Well no SATA is native to 2000 and XP.

    2000 and XP can support upto 6 SATA's

    98/Me/NT 4 are not. BUT they'll still work
    if you set this up in the BIOS. 98 and under support
    upto 4 SATA's.

    If the BIOS supports the SATA (builtin) and you only
    have 1 SATA, leave RAID alone. You don't
    need it. If you want to clean install on a SATA
    set the XP CD as the bootdisk save the settings in
    BIOS and it'll format the SATA, then install XP
    onto it. F6 doesn't work on 1 SATA hdd. The drivers
    are only really needed for RAID 0 or 1 / other.

    If you want to format a SATA as a slave, (if you already use an IDE for XP).
    Connect the SATA up, then boot XP. Then go to Control Panel,
    Admin/Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management. Find the SATA, and you
    should be able to format it, within Windows.

    "Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > First, many SATA controllers are also RAID controllers. If your is one of
    > those, then you probably need to create a RAID arrary before attempting to
    > install XP. The motherboard manual should say something about this. If
    you
    > have a single SATA hard drive, it may automatically make an array of one
    > disk, or you may need to use some custom setup option ot force this to
    > happen.
    >
    > Second, XP does not yet have native support for SATA, so it ain't
    plug&play.
    > You need to hit F6 during the installation of XP and feed the XP installer
    > floppy with SATA drivers on it. It must be a floppy. If the drivers came
    > on a CD, you must copy them to a floppy. Be sure to copy everything in te
    > SATA driver directory. I found that a file called "oemsetup.txt" was
    > absolutely essential when loading XP. (I have an ASUS P4S8X motherboard.)
    >
    > In fact, instead of copying from the CD, first check to verify that you
    have
    > the latest drivers. Also, check whether you have the latest motherboard
    > BIOS.
    >
    > If the XP installation keeps balking, try using a disk preparation
    > CD/floppy, such as nearly always comes with new hard drives. Can the disk
    > preparation tools see the SATA drive? If it cannot, check connection and
    > the RAID array thing I mentioned above. If it can see the disk, then the
    XP
    > installer should also be able to see it, if you provide the latest
    drivers.

    > "Sandy" <sand@fsmail.net> wrote in message
    > > Every time i try to install windows on to my new serial
    > > ATA hard drive it says it cant find any hard drives
    > > installed but i heard that serial ATA hard drives just
    > > need putting in and windows installed on them but it just
    > > wont work. Please tell me what is wrong.

    You seem a little confused Paul..

    The advice posted by Bob Harris is quite right.

    Some SATA controllers can utilize standard IDE drivers (for example, but not
    exclusively, the Intel ICH5 and ICHR5 fully integrated in the south
    bridge) - these examples are what Bob is referring to as 'native'. If the
    mainboard has these chipsets no introduction of third-party drivers are
    needed by the F6 method.

    Some manufacturers, one example being Asus, in certain circumstances, can
    require the setting up of a RAID array on a single SATA drive before
    installation of XP - I believe Bob is speaking about his own experience, and
    the advice given to him from Asus, here.

    As for your comment "F6 doesn't work on 1 SATA hdd. The drivers are only
    really needed for RAID 0 or 1 / other" - simply not true unless the SATA
    controller can utilize standard IDE drivers as described above. And I'm
    speaking from my own experience on this point - that's why Silicon Image
    produce 2 drivers for their controllers, SATALink for Non-RAID SATA drives
    and SATARaid for a RAID array.

    A third-party driver will still need to be provided for a slave drive if
    'native' support for SATA (see above) has not been implemented by the
    mainboard manufacturer.

    Hope that helps to clear up your confusion.
    Pete
    -----------------------------

    "Paul" contributed
> [...]
    > > BIOS.
    > >
    > > If the XP installation keeps balking, try using a disk preparation
    > > CD/floppy, such as nearly always comes with new hard drives. Can the
    disk
    > > preparation tools see the SATA drive? If it cannot, check connection
    and
    > > the RAID array thing I mentioned above. If it can see the disk, then
    the
    > XP
    > > installer should also be able to see it, if you provide the latest
    > drivers.
    > >
    > > "Sandy" asked
    > > > Every time i try to install windows on to my new serial
    > > > ATA hard drive it says it cant find any hard drives
    > > > installed but i heard that serial ATA hard drives just
    > > > need putting in and windows installed on them but it just
    > > > wont work. Please tell me what is wrong.

    Hi all
    I have a DFI board with sata , raid built in , but only use SATA as single
    drives. I have 2 SATA hard drives.
    One for windows XP PRO and one for storage , with no operating system.
    No extra drivers are needed, i just load windows like i did with IDE hard
    drives.
    Had a slight problem getting the BIOS set right so it would read the SATA
    drives, have to make the access mode is set right.
    --
    Carl
    "Sandy" <sand@fsmail.net> wrote in message
    > Every time i try to install windows on to my new serial
    > ATA hard drive it says it cant find any hard drives
    > installed but i heard that serial ATA hard drives just
    > need putting in and windows installed on them but it just
    > wont work. Please tell me what is wrong.

    Hi Sandy
    Go into your BIOS and make sure that the BIOS is set to read SATA and IDE,
    not just IDE.
    I have a INTEL and a DFI board and i have to set them to the enhanced mode
    so it reads both the SATA and IDE drives.
    Hope this helps ya out.
    --
    Carl
    "Sandy" <sand@fsmail.net> wrote in message
    > Every time i try to install windows on to my new serial
    > ATA hard drive it says it cant find any hard drives
    > installed but i heard that serial ATA hard drives just
    > need putting in and windows installed on them but it just
    > wont work. Please tell me what is wrong.

SATA Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP