jeff

I try to do a harddrive scan on my computer and it tells
me it will do it upon reboot, but then I get a message
saying it cannot access system volume .....scan
complete ??????

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I try to do a harddrive scan on my computer and it tells
> me it will do it upon reboot, but then I get a message
> saying it cannot access system volume .....scan
> complete ??????

If you're running the newest Zone Alarm version (version 5.0), you'll need
to uninstall it to finish that. Get the version before that and use it until
they get it fixed, if this is the case.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:35:30 -0400, "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote:

>"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I try to do a harddrive scan on my computer and it tells
>> me it will do it upon reboot, but then I get a message
>> saying it cannot access system volume .....scan
>> complete ??????
>
>If you're running the newest Zone Alarm version (version 5.0), you'll need
>to uninstall it to finish that. Get the version before that and use it until
>they get it fixed, if this is the case.

Right. I had exactly that experience. The ZoneLabs user forums are
very good with information about this. I had a copy of the previous
version, but a friend didn't, so I asked how to download the previous
version, and they gave me this URL, to download the latest of the
previous versions.

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1012_zl/zlsSetup_45_594_000.exe

The error message I received was:

Cannot open volume for direct access.
The type of the file system is NTFS.
IFSUTIL: Can't open drive. Status returned = c0000043.
Windows has finished checking the disk.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:46:21 +0100

"Richard" <hawkinsfamily3@DIGITbtinternet.com> sent this reply to me,
here on this group, in

You could try running Chkdsk with /x this should free the drive.
Failing that uninstall Zone Alarm V 5 if you have it on your computer.
Then revert to V 4.5. See other posts on this subject yesterday and
before.

Richard.

Rather than try Chkdsk /x,, because I had recently upgraded my free
ZoneAlarm to version 5, I uninstalled that, and when I was prompted to
reboot my machine at the end of the uninstall, chkdsk ran normally.

I looked in Help and Support to find out what chkdsk /x was, and now
I'm going to look again, because a dear friend nearly halfway around
the world from me is having a problem; chkdsk won't run, but she's not
running ZoneAlarm at all! (I'm sending her to pick up version 4.5). If
she and I together learn anything useful, I'll report back again.

Almali del Benian

TRENDING THREADS