A7N8X-E Deluxe WIndows install issues

I just got the A7N8X-E Deluxe board.

The problem is that I can't get Windows installed on it. I have tried all weekend and it
keeps freezing in the blue DOS type install screen where it says "Setup is starting
Windows". I haven't seen that before as the setup runs to a point then quits. No errors.
Nothing. Just sits there forever if I left it.

I tried 4 different CD's from Win2K, WinXP and WinXP SP1. The only OS that actually
installed was Windows98SE. But trying to upgrade to 2K\XP caused it to freeze.
Tried different CD-ROM, different RAM and unplugging everything except vid card. No luck.
Also had bought a new Maxtor SATA 80 GB drive. Tried installing with it in or out, with
the old 15Gb IDE drive in and out. No luck.

Always always froze at the install point. I wouldn't look at the new mobo being the issue
except that when I start the PC, if I didn't have the switch off on the Power supply, it
won't boot up. If the switch off and on, it will start but always has a BIOS problem and
needs to go to BIOS to reboot.

Any thoughts?

Thx
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca
10 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe windows install issues

    It may be your memory. Not all memories work with that
    card. There is a list (not inclusive) of compatible ones on Asus Web site.

    41459BF6.CBA2AC1C@work.no...

    Sometime on, or about Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:14:40 -0400, GF wrote:

    > It may be your memory. Not all memories work with that
    > card. There is a list (not inclusive) of compatible ones on Asus Web site.
    >
    > "Jethro[AGHL]" <me@work.no> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 41459BF6.CBA2AC1C@work.no...
    >>I just got the A7N8X-E Deluxe board.
    >>
    >> The problem is that I can't get Windows installed on it. I have tried all
    >> weekend and it
    >> keeps freezing in the blue DOS type install screen where it says "Setup is
    >> starting
    >> Windows". I haven't seen that before as the setup runs to a point then
    >> quits. No errors.
    >> Nothing. Just sits there forever if I left it.
    >>
    >> I tried 4 different CD's from Win2K, WinXP and WinXP SP1. The only OS that
    >> actually
    >> installed was Windows98SE. But trying to upgrade to 2K\XP caused it to
    >> freeze.
    >> Tried different CD-ROM, different RAM and unplugging everything except vid
    >> card. No luck.
    >> Also had bought a new Maxtor SATA 80 GB drive. Tried installing with it in
    >> or out, with
    >> the old 15Gb IDE drive in and out. No luck.
    >>
    >> Always always froze at the install point. I wouldn't look at the new mobo
    >> being the issue
    >> except that when I start the PC, if I didn't have the switch off on the
    >> Power supply, it
    >> won't boot up. If the switch off and on, it will start but always has a
    >> BIOS problem and
    >> needs to go to BIOS to reboot.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >>
    >> Thx
    >> --
    >> Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    >> Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

    This motherboard is apparently pretty finicky with RAM. Not all brands
    work well with it. I got mine from Crucial and haven't had any
    problems (yet). In BIOS, is your memory in synch with your CPU speed?
    Anything overclocked? If you have more than one DIMM installed, try
    using just one... if that one fails, try the other one.

    There's obviously something in hardware that the installation doesn't
    like, you may also want to try pulling out everything except the video
    card.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    I have Kingston CAS 2.5 400 MHz.

    In article <41459BF6.CBA2AC1C@work.no>, "Jethro[AGHL]" <me@work.no> wrote:

    > I just got the A7N8X-E Deluxe board.
    >
    > The problem is that I can't get Windows installed on it. I have tried
    all weekend and it
    > keeps freezing in the blue DOS type install screen where it says "Setup
    is starting
    > Windows". I haven't seen that before as the setup runs to a point then
    quits. No errors.
    > Nothing. Just sits there forever if I left it.
    >
    > I tried 4 different CD's from Win2K, WinXP and WinXP SP1. The only OS
    that actually
    > installed was Windows98SE. But trying to upgrade to 2K\XP caused it to freeze.
    > Tried different CD-ROM, different RAM and unplugging everything except
    vid card. No luck.
    > Also had bought a new Maxtor SATA 80 GB drive. Tried installing with it
    in or out, with
    > the old 15Gb IDE drive in and out. No luck.
    >
    > Always always froze at the install point. I wouldn't look at the new
    mobo being the issue
    > except that when I start the PC, if I didn't have the switch off on the
    Power supply, it
    > won't boot up. If the switch off and on, it will start but always has a
    BIOS problem and
    > needs to go to BIOS to reboot.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thx

    Always test a new computer first, with memtest86 from memtest.org.
    The memory should be error free, before you try installing and/or
    booting windows. Tf the memory is bad, all you will do
    is end up corrupting the data on the disk. Certainly not a good
    thing to do, if the disk is not backed up!

    HTH,
    Paul

    I had that problem when I first fired up my A7N8X Deluxe board. I exchanged
    my Kingston memory for Kingston that used another brand of chips and it was
    OK.
    On another ASUS board, I couldn't install windows until I changed out the
    ATI Video board.

    Sam wrote:

    > Sometime on, or about Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:14:40 -0400, GF wrote:
    >
    > > It may be your memory. Not all memories work with that
    > > card. There is a list (not inclusive) of compatible ones on Asus Web site.
    > >
    > > "Jethro[AGHL]" <me@work.no> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > > 41459BF6.CBA2AC1C@work.no...
    > >>I just got the A7N8X-E Deluxe board.
    > >>
    > >> The problem is that I can't get Windows installed on it. I have tried all
    > >> weekend and it
    > >> keeps freezing in the blue DOS type install screen where it says "Setup is
    > >> starting
    > >> Windows". I haven't seen that before as the setup runs to a point then
    > >> quits. No errors.
    > >> Nothing. Just sits there forever if I left it.
    > >>
    > >> I tried 4 different CD's from Win2K, WinXP and WinXP SP1. The only OS that
    > >> actually
    > >> installed was Windows98SE. But trying to upgrade to 2K\XP caused it to
    > >> freeze.
    > >> Tried different CD-ROM, different RAM and unplugging everything except vid
    > >> card. No luck.
    > >> Also had bought a new Maxtor SATA 80 GB drive. Tried installing with it in
    > >> or out, with
    > >> the old 15Gb IDE drive in and out. No luck.
    > >>
    > >> Always always froze at the install point. I wouldn't look at the new mobo
    > >> being the issue
    > >> except that when I start the PC, if I didn't have the switch off on the
    > >> Power supply, it
    > >> won't boot up. If the switch off and on, it will start but always has a
    > >> BIOS problem and
    > >> needs to go to BIOS to reboot.
    > >>
    > >> Any thoughts?
    > >>
    > >> Thx
    > >> --
    > >> Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    > >> Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca
    >
    > This motherboard is apparently pretty finicky with RAM. Not all brands
    > work well with it. I got mine from Crucial and haven't had any
    > problems (yet). In BIOS, is your memory in synch with your CPU speed?
    > Anything overclocked? If you have more than one DIMM installed, try
    > using just one... if that one fails, try the other one.
    >
    > There's obviously something in hardware that the installation doesn't
    > like, you may also want to try pulling out everything except the video
    > card.
    >
    > Sam
    > --
    > To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    I tried the no-name brand 256Mb RAM that was from the previous motherboard and my 512Mb
    Crucial RAM from my other PC. No joy.
    BIOS RAM settings are all set to default. No overclocking because I haven't got anything
    installed on it.
    There is nothing else installed except video card as everything else we need (LAN, Sound)
    are all onboard anyway.
    *sigh*

    --
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

    Sometime on, or about Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:34:32 -0400, Jethro[AGHL]
    wrote:

    > Sam wrote:
    >>
    >> Sometime on, or about Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:14:40 -0400, GF wrote:
    >>
    >>> It may be your memory. Not all memories work with that
    >>> card. There is a list (not inclusive) of compatible ones on Asus Web site.
    >>>
    >>> "Jethro[AGHL]" <me@work.no> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >>> 41459BF6.CBA2AC1C@work.no...

    >> This motherboard is apparently pretty finicky with RAM. Not all brands
    >> work well with it. I got mine from Crucial and haven't had any
    >> problems (yet). In BIOS, is your memory in synch with your CPU speed?
    >> Anything overclocked? If you have more than one DIMM installed, try
    >> using just one... if that one fails, try the other one.
    >>
    >> There's obviously something in hardware that the installation doesn't
    >> like, you may also want to try pulling out everything except the video
    >> card.
    >>
    >> Sam
    >> --
    >> To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
    >
    > I tried the no-name brand 256Mb RAM that was from the previous motherboard and my 512Mb
    > Crucial RAM from my other PC. No joy.
    > BIOS RAM settings are all set to default. No overclocking because I haven't got anything
    > installed on it.
    > There is nothing else installed except video card as everything else we need (LAN, Sound)
    > are all onboard anyway.
    > *sigh*

    So what's left... bad motherboard, power supply or video card? What
    exactly does the Blue Screen say?

    Sam
    --

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:09:10 -0400, "Jethro[AGHL]" <me@work.no> wrote:

    >I just got the A7N8X-E Deluxe board.
    >
    >The problem is that I can't get Windows installed on it. I have tried all weekend and it
    >keeps freezing in the blue DOS type install screen where it says "Setup is starting
    >Windows". I haven't seen that before as the setup runs to a point then quits. No errors.
    >Nothing. Just sits there forever if I left it.
    >
    >I tried 4 different CD's from Win2K, WinXP and WinXP SP1. The only OS that actually
    >installed was Windows98SE. But trying to upgrade to 2K\XP caused it to freeze.
    >Tried different CD-ROM, different RAM and unplugging everything except vid card. No luck.
    >Also had bought a new Maxtor SATA 80 GB drive. Tried installing with it in or out, with
    >the old 15Gb IDE drive in and out. No luck.
    >
    >Always always froze at the install point. I wouldn't look at the new mobo being the issue
    >except that when I start the PC, if I didn't have the switch off on the Power supply, it
    >won't boot up. If the switch off and on, it will start but always has a BIOS problem and
    >needs to go to BIOS to reboot.
    >
    >Any thoughts?

    I would suggest you've got a bad motherboard. Try to get a
    replacement.

    jd

    Sam wrote:

    > Sometime on, or about Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:34:32 -0400, Jethro[AGHL]
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Sam wrote:

    > >> This motherboard is apparently pretty finicky with RAM. Not all brands
    > >> work well with it. I got mine from Crucial and haven't had any
    > >> problems (yet). In BIOS, is your memory in synch with your CPU speed?
    > >> Anything overclocked? If you have more than one DIMM installed, try
    > >> using just one... if that one fails, try the other one.
    > >>
    > >> There's obviously something in hardware that the installation doesn't
    > >> like, you may also want to try pulling out everything except the video
    > >> card.
    > >>
    > >> Sam
    > >> --
    > >> To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
    > >
    > > I tried the no-name brand 256Mb RAM that was from the previous motherboard and my 512Mb
    > > Crucial RAM from my other PC. No joy.
    > > BIOS RAM settings are all set to default. No overclocking because I haven't got anything
    > > installed on it.
    > > There is nothing else installed except video card as everything else we need (LAN, Sound)
    > > are all onboard anyway.
    > > *sigh*
    >
    > So what's left... bad motherboard, power supply or video card? What
    > exactly does the Blue Screen say?
    >
    > Sam
    > --
    > To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    The message is part of the Windows install.
    "I have tried all weekend and it keeps freezing in the blue DOS type install screen where
    it says "Setup is starting Windows".

    But Windows never starts. I think it's "DOS" type part where it copies all the files to
    the HDD. All it does is load the drivers and then stops.

    Jimmy Dean wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:09:10 -0400, "Jethro[AGHL]" <me@work.no> wrote:
    >
    > >I just got the A7N8X-E Deluxe board.
    > >
    > >The problem is that I can't get Windows installed on it. I have tried all weekend and it
    > >keeps freezing in the blue DOS type install screen where it says "Setup is starting
    > >Windows". I haven't seen that before as the setup runs to a point then quits. No errors.
    > >Nothing. Just sits there forever if I left it.
    > >
    > >I tried 4 different CD's from Win2K, WinXP and WinXP SP1. The only OS that actually
    > >installed was Windows98SE. But trying to upgrade to 2K\XP caused it to freeze.
    > >Tried different CD-ROM, different RAM and unplugging everything except vid card. No luck.
    > >Also had bought a new Maxtor SATA 80 GB drive. Tried installing with it in or out, with
    > >the old 15Gb IDE drive in and out. No luck.
    > >
    > >Always always froze at the install point. I wouldn't look at the new mobo being the issue
    > >except that when I start the PC, if I didn't have the switch off on the Power supply, it
    > >won't boot up. If the switch off and on, it will start but always has a BIOS problem and
    > >needs to go to BIOS to reboot.
    > >
    > >Any thoughts?
    >
    > I would suggest you've got a bad motherboard. Try to get a
    > replacement.
    >
    > jd

    My thoughts. So far in the last year my motherboard failure rate has been 66%. Of the 3 (2
    MIS and 1 Asus) I bought, 2 have had issues. 1 MIS was DOA right out of the box. :-(

    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

Asus Motherboards