A7N8X Graphics corrupt on first few boot up attempts

Hi,
I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 2 motherboard.
When I first turn on my PC I get corrupted graphics and have taken some
screenshots with my camera which you can see here:
http://www.millenniumdesktop.co.uk/fx5900/

I thought it was my Aopen Geforce FX5900 128MB video card and swapped it for
another, but the problem remains. After 2-3 switch offs and on's, my PC will
boot as normal instead of locking up at the Windows Log On Screen. It is
then perfect until next time I boot up from cold.

Its driving me nuts. I have removed all PCI cards and tried booting with no
PCI cards and no DVD-Rom drive attached. I have made sure the AMD XP2500
Barton is not overclocked. I have tried booting with different RAM. The only
thing I can think of is the Mainboard or the Antec Trupower 430w PSU.

However, once the PC has warmed up after a few attempts at booting it is
fine until next time it goes cold.

Hope you can help!

Regards,
Graham
UK.
11 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x graphics corrupt boot attempts

    Sometime on, or about Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:36:36 +0100, The Old Man
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 2 motherboard.
    > When I first turn on my PC I get corrupted graphics and have taken some
    > screenshots with my camera which you can see here:
    > http://www.millenniumdesktop.co.uk/fx5900/
    >
    > I thought it was my Aopen Geforce FX5900 128MB video card and swapped it for
    > another, but the problem remains. After 2-3 switch offs and on's, my PC will
    > boot as normal instead of locking up at the Windows Log On Screen. It is
    > then perfect until next time I boot up from cold.
    >
    > Its driving me nuts. I have removed all PCI cards and tried booting with no
    > PCI cards and no DVD-Rom drive attached. I have made sure the AMD XP2500
    > Barton is not overclocked. I have tried booting with different RAM. The only
    > thing I can think of is the Mainboard or the Antec Trupower 430w PSU.
    >
    > However, once the PC has warmed up after a few attempts at booting it is
    > fine until next time it goes cold.
    >
    > Hope you can help!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Graham
    > UK.

    You might have a video card that's going bad. Do you have another one
    you can temporarily swap in, to see if the problem goes away?

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
    > Sometime on, or about Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:36:36 +0100, The Old Man
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 2 motherboard.
    >> When I first turn on my PC I get corrupted graphics and have taken some
    >> screenshots with my camera which you can see here:
    >> http://www.millenniumdesktop.co.uk/fx5900/
    >>
    >> I thought it was my Aopen Geforce FX5900 128MB video card and swapped it
    >> for
    >> another, but the problem remains. After 2-3 switch offs and on's, my PC
    >> will
    >> boot as normal instead of locking up at the Windows Log On Screen. It is
    >> then perfect until next time I boot up from cold.
    >>
    >> Its driving me nuts. I have removed all PCI cards and tried booting with
    >> no
    >> PCI cards and no DVD-Rom drive attached. I have made sure the AMD XP2500
    >> Barton is not overclocked. I have tried booting with different RAM. The
    >> only
    >> thing I can think of is the Mainboard or the Antec Trupower 430w PSU.
    >>
    >> However, once the PC has warmed up after a few attempts at booting it is
    >> fine until next time it goes cold.
    >>
    >> Hope you can help!
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Graham
    >> UK.
    >
    > You might have a video card that's going bad. Do you have another one
    > you can temporarily swap in, to see if the problem goes away?
    >
    > Sam
    > --
    > To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    Hi,
    I thought it might be the videocard too. I swapped it for another one, same
    type and model and the problem remains. :(

    Regards,
    Graham.

    Sometime on, or about Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:06:12 +0100, The Old Man
    wrote:

    > "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
    >> Sometime on, or about Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:36:36 +0100, The Old Man
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 2 motherboard.
    >>> When I first turn on my PC I get corrupted graphics and have taken some
    >>> screenshots with my camera which you can see here:
    >>> http://www.millenniumdesktop.co.uk/fx5900/
    >>>
    >>> I thought it was my Aopen Geforce FX5900 128MB video card and swapped it
    >>> for
    >>> another, but the problem remains. After 2-3 switch offs and on's, my PC
    >>> will
    >>> boot as normal instead of locking up at the Windows Log On Screen. It is
    >>> then perfect until next time I boot up from cold.
    >>>
    >>> Its driving me nuts. I have removed all PCI cards and tried booting with
    >>> no
    >>> PCI cards and no DVD-Rom drive attached. I have made sure the AMD XP2500
    >>> Barton is not overclocked. I have tried booting with different RAM. The
    >>> only
    >>> thing I can think of is the Mainboard or the Antec Trupower 430w PSU.
    >>>
    >>> However, once the PC has warmed up after a few attempts at booting it is
    >>> fine until next time it goes cold.
    >>>
    >>> Hope you can help!
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Graham
    >>> UK.
    >>
    >> You might have a video card that's going bad. Do you have another one
    >> you can temporarily swap in, to see if the problem goes away?
    >>
    >> Sam
    >> --
    >> To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
    >
    > Hi,
    > I thought it might be the videocard too. I swapped it for another one, same
    > type and model and the problem remains. :(
    >
    > Regards,
    > Graham.

    Bad monitor or power supply? If neither of these are the culprit, it
    could be your motherboard itself.

    Sam
    --

    > Sometime on, or about Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:06:12 +0100, The Old Man
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
    >>> Sometime on, or about Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:36:36 +0100, The Old Man

    >>> You might have a video card that's going bad. Do you have another one
    >>> you can temporarily swap in, to see if the problem goes away?
    >>>
    >>> Sam
    >>> --
    >>> To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >> I thought it might be the videocard too. I swapped it for another one,
    >> same
    >> type and model and the problem remains. :(
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Graham.
    >
    > Bad monitor or power supply? If neither of these are the culprit, it
    > could be your motherboard itself.
    >
    > Sam

    Hi Sam,
    I'll try those two options next. Over the last few hours, the fault has
    changed. I'm no longer getting bad graphics, but after the BIOS has finished
    its POST and Windows starts to load, the monitor goes black. A few reboots
    (on/off's not resets) cures the problem and my PC is fine.

    Graham.

    Hi!
    I have got the same defect. It was some fan cables, not ruined at all,
    touching the printed circuit of my asus agpv9560. I Removed this cables and
    it works fine
    Nothing must be in contact with the board!!!

    --
    Hadjidekov
    "L'égalité est la pire des injustices"
    "The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> a écrit dans le message de

    > "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
    > > Sometime on, or about Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:06:12 +0100, The Old Man
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message

    PC

    The

    > >> Hi,
    > >> I thought it might be the videocard too. I swapped it for another one,
    > >> same
    > >> type and model and the problem remains. :(
    > >>
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Graham.
    > >
    > > Bad monitor or power supply? If neither of these are the culprit, it
    > > could be your motherboard itself.
    > >
    > > Sam
    >
    > Hi Sam,
    > I'll try those two options next. Over the last few hours, the fault has
    > changed. I'm no longer getting bad graphics, but after the BIOS has
    finished
    > its POST and Windows starts to load, the monitor goes black. A few reboots
    > (on/off's not resets) cures the problem and my PC is fine.
    >
    > Graham.

    Sometime on, or about Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:36:20 +0200, Hadjidekov
    wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I have got the same defect. It was some fan cables, not ruined at all,
    > touching the printed circuit of my asus agpv9560. I Removed this cables and
    > it works fine
    > Nothing must be in contact with the board!!!

    Which brings up a point... when installing the MB in the case, it
    shouldn't be touching the case itself, except with the standoff's
    connected to the holes in the board. Any extra standoffs touching
    other spots on the board can wreak havoc.

    Sam
    --

    > Sometime on, or about Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:36:20 +0200, Hadjidekov
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >> I have got the same defect. It was some fan cables, not ruined at all,
    >> touching the printed circuit of my asus agpv9560. I Removed this cables
    >> and
    >> it works fine
    >> Nothing must be in contact with the board!!!
    >
    > Which brings up a point... when installing the MB in the case, it
    > shouldn't be touching the case itself, except with the standoff's
    > connected to the holes in the board. Any extra standoffs touching
    > other spots on the board can wreak havoc.
    >
    > Sam
    > --
    > To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    Thanks guys. Its still hapenning so I'll take a look for any loose cables
    and contact points.
    Regards,
    Graham

    "The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote in message

    > "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
    >> Sometime on, or about Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:36:20 +0200, Hadjidekov
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi!
    >>> I have got the same defect. It was some fan cables, not ruined at all,
    >>> touching the printed circuit of my asus agpv9560. I Removed this cables
    >>> and
    >>> it works fine
    >>> Nothing must be in contact with the board!!!
    >>
    >> Which brings up a point... when installing the MB in the case, it
    >> shouldn't be touching the case itself, except with the standoff's
    >> connected to the holes in the board. Any extra standoffs touching
    >> other spots on the board can wreak havoc.
    >>
    >> Sam
    >> --
    >> To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
    >
    > Thanks guys. Its still hapenning so I'll take a look for any loose cables
    > and contact points.
    > Regards,
    > Graham

    Problem found. It was the Antec PSU 430w. I moved it to another PC and the
    problem transferred with it! Many thanks to those who replied.

    Graham.

    Sometime on, or about Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:09:51 +0100, The Old Man
    wrote:

    > "The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
    >>> Sometime on, or about Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:36:20 +0200, Hadjidekov

    >>> Which brings up a point... when installing the MB in the case, it
    >>> shouldn't be touching the case itself, except with the standoff's
    >>> connected to the holes in the board. Any extra standoffs touching
    >>> other spots on the board can wreak havoc.
    >>>
    >> Thanks guys. Its still hapenning so I'll take a look for any loose cables
    >> and contact points.
    >> Regards,
    >> Graham
    >
    > Problem found. It was the Antec PSU 430w. I moved it to another PC and the
    > problem transferred with it! Many thanks to those who replied.
    >
    > Graham.

    Glad you got it fixed. Sort of scary though, since I have that same
    identical PSU.

    Sam
    --

    > Sometime on, or about Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:09:51 +0100, The Old Man
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks guys. Its still hapenning so I'll take a look for any loose
    >>> cables
    >>> and contact points.
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Graham
    >>
    >> Problem found. It was the Antec PSU 430w. I moved it to another PC and
    >> the
    >> problem transferred with it! Many thanks to those who replied.
    >>
    >> Graham.
    >
    > Glad you got it fixed. Sort of scary though, since I have that same
    > identical PSU.
    >

    > Sam
    > --
    > To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    Thanks Sam,
    I'm sure yours will be fine. I also have a 480w model and its great.

    Sometime on, or about Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:44:59 +0100, The Old Man
    wrote:

    > "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
    >> Sometime on, or about Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:09:51 +0100, The Old Man
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote in message

    >>> Problem found. It was the Antec PSU 430w. I moved it to another PC and
    >>> the
    >>> problem transferred with it! Many thanks to those who replied.
    >>>
    >>> Graham.
    >>
    >> Glad you got it fixed. Sort of scary though, since I have that same
    >> identical PSU.
    >>

    >> Sam
    >> --
    >> To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
    >
    > Thanks Sam,
    > I'm sure yours will be fine. I also have a 480w model and its great.

    I hope so... the 3.3v line has been wobbling over 5-6%, while all the
    other ones stay pretty steady.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

Asus Boot Graphics Motherboards