Sharing Scanner?

June 18, 2004 3:02:00 PM

I have a Minolta SCSI film scanner working well through Twain/Photoshop on
an XP machine - any ideas (or is possible?) on how to "share" a scanner on
other XP machines on small network?
Thanks

More about : sharing scanner

Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:02:01 PM

Peter;

Sadly , with 99.99% of consumer scanners, you cannot share them on a
network I know that Xerox and Canon make network scanners, but they are
terribly expensive.
If you watch the Sunday ads, you can get a reasonably good scanner for
less than $50....cheap enough to have one for each machine. I recently got
an HP scanner on sale for $49.99 with a $30.00 mail in rebate...net cost was
$19.99 for an 8x10 flatbed.

Bobby

"Peter G" <peter@ducknospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a Minolta SCSI film scanner working well through Twain/Photoshop on
> an XP machine - any ideas (or is possible?) on how to "share" a scanner on
> other XP machines on small network?
> Thanks

Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:02:01 PM

Peter G wrote:
> I have a Minolta SCSI film scanner working well through Twain/Photoshop on
> an XP machine - any ideas (or is possible?) on how to "share" a scanner on
> other XP machines on small network?
> Thanks

XP supports sharing folders and printers -- nothing else. Some scanners
include sharing software. And, if you google, you may find some
third-party software to share scanners.
--
Cheers, Bob
Related resources

Actually it makes no sense to do so, if you consider the process (walking to
the scanner to insert the originals, walking back to your computer to issue
the scan commands, returning to the scanner to pick up the originals, and
then walking back to your computer to complete the task or to start a new
task). It is just as efficient, and simpler, to have a computer dedicated to
the scanner - and use file sharing to allow other computers to have access
to the scanned images.

"Peter G" <peter@ducknospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a Minolta SCSI film scanner working well through Twain/Photoshop on
> an XP machine - any ideas (or is possible?) on how to "share" a scanner on
> other XP machines on small network?
> Thanks

Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:02:02 PM

Why not try something new and different, like thinking
before posting? A "small network" might consist of two
computers three feet and users three feet apart.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:02:03 PM

"Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Why not try something new and different, like thinking
> before posting? A "small network" might consist of two
> computers three feet and users three feet apart.

In which case you can ask the other user to take your document, place it in
the scanner, scan it and you can then retrieve said scanned document's file
over the network!
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

wrote in message

>> Why not try something new and different, like thinking
>> before posting? A "small network" might consist of two
>> computers three feet and users three feet apart.
>
>In which case you can ask the other user to take your
document, place it in
>the scanner, scan it and you can then retrieve said
scanned document's file
>over the network!
>--
>Cari
>MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
>www.coribright.com
>

>.
Hey, I never thought of it that way. Maybe we could add
a print server too.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 10:34:04 PM

Brilliant help people - I've found RemoteScan which is absolutely amazing
and really cheap!

Actually I have 4 computers in a small but comfortable studio - it's me that
doesn't want to get up from my comfortable chair when I ask someone (my 12
year old daughter) to scan a slide - the scanners on the desk within reach
of both of us...
but I probably ought to move more - heigh ho...
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 11:45:23 PM

there are programs that enable you to share a scanner.

Try doing a search on google. They exist.

--

Hope this helps. Let us know.

---

"Peter G" <peter@ducknospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a Minolta SCSI film scanner working well through Twain/Photoshop on
> an XP machine - any ideas (or is possible?) on how to "share" a scanner on
> other XP machines on small network?
> Thanks

---