Asus P4C800E DX. DDR memory timing question

Tim

Does anyone know if there is any problem with running modules 2GB set and
1GB set with different Cas timings? Cas 2 & Cas 3. or what I need to set in
the bios?

Paul

Splendid

In article <10keda7iej16uf0@corp.supernews.com>, "Tim"
<trebjop@cableone.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is any problem with running modules 2GB set and
> 1GB set with different Cas timings? Cas 2 & Cas 3. or what I need to set in
> the bios?

If you are mixing modules that have different timing, the BIOS
should find the module with the slowest timing, and set the
parameters to suit that module. A setting of "Auto" will let
the BIOS do its job.

If you use a Windows utility, like CPUZ, Everest, Sandra etc,
these programs can show you the memory timing numbers being
used by the BIOS. If you feel that the BIOS has selected
numbers that are too relaxed (the numbers are too big), then
you can set the memory timing to "Manual" and enter what you
think are good numbers. Just like the algorithm mentioned in
the first paragraph, you have to find the slowest module you
have installed in the board, and set the BIOS parameters to
suit that module. Consult the memory module manufacturer's
spec sheet for numbers to use for memory timings.

The same timing parameters are used for all the modules
at the same time - the BIOS doesn't set them on a per
module basis. That is why the slowest timing must be used.

For best performance, use matched modules and follow the
instructions in the manual. Use matched modules in A1/B1
and matched modules in A2/B2. (I.e. A1=B1 and A2=B2). That
will enable dual channel operation.

HTH,
Paul