K8v SE Deluxe Via sata issue

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2004 12:12:21 AM

Got a K8VSE Deluxe. I keep my computer on all the time. Came home from
work today, had a message on the screen to insert a boot disc. Upon a
reboot got same error. Startup sees my SATA drive on the VIA
controller fine. So I thought, perhaps the MBR was screwed up. So I
booted form windows xp cd, and installed the sata driver. Got a BSOD.
Tried again without the sata drive, no BSOD, but of course windows
setup couldn't see teh sata drive. Moved the drive to the Promoise
sata controller, and now I can boot fine to the sata drive. Does this
sound like a failed Via SATA contorller? Windows XP sees the
controller fine, though I do not have a drive hooked to it. Any ideas
as to what the problem might be?

STeve

More about : k8v deluxe sata issue

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 11:16:53 PM

I think its a via bug

had a kt600 mobo , on which i never got up a sata drive stable

have a sata drive connected to promise on my k8v del too.
works fine too.
regards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2004 1:30:43 AM

Happens to me if I have my usb 2 'icy box' plugged in at boot up, unplug it
and it boot normally

"Pigs on the Wing Productions" <f@u.com> wrote in message
> Got a K8VSE Deluxe. I keep my computer on all the time. Came home from
> work today, had a message on the screen to insert a boot disc. Upon a
> reboot got same error. Startup sees my SATA drive on the VIA
> controller fine. So I thought, perhaps the MBR was screwed up. So I
> booted form windows xp cd, and installed the sata driver. Got a BSOD.
> Tried again without the sata drive, no BSOD, but of course windows
> setup couldn't see teh sata drive. Moved the drive to the Promoise
> sata controller, and now I can boot fine to the sata drive. Does this
> sound like a failed Via SATA contorller? Windows XP sees the
> controller fine, though I do not have a drive hooked to it. Any ideas
> as to what the problem might be?
>
> STeve
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2004 11:28:06 PM

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:30:43 +0000 (UTC), "Ethan Rayne"
<ethan.rayne@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote:

>Happens to me if I have my usb 2 'icy box' plugged in at boot up, unplug it
>and it boot normally
>
>"Pigs on the Wing Productions" <f@u.com> wrote in message
>> Got a K8VSE Deluxe. I keep my computer on all the time. Came home from
>> work today, had a message on the screen to insert a boot disc. Upon a
>> reboot got same error. Startup sees my SATA drive on the VIA
>> controller fine. So I thought, perhaps the MBR was screwed up. So I
>> booted form windows xp cd, and installed the sata driver. Got a BSOD.
>> Tried again without the sata drive, no BSOD, but of course windows
>> setup couldn't see teh sata drive. Moved the drive to the Promoise
>> sata controller, and now I can boot fine to the sata drive. Does this
>> sound like a failed Via SATA contorller? Windows XP sees the
>> controller fine, though I do not have a drive hooked to it. Any ideas
>> as to what the problem might be?
>>
>> STeve

Yeah I noticed that when I plug in my USB drive, the bios will defualt
to that for boot up. But this is without that drive connectied.
Windows won't even try to install without giveing a BSOD with an
error.
!