K8v SE Deluxe Via sata issue

Got a K8VSE Deluxe. I keep my computer on all the time. Came home from
work today, had a message on the screen to insert a boot disc. Upon a
reboot got same error. Startup sees my SATA drive on the VIA
controller fine. So I thought, perhaps the MBR was screwed up. So I
booted form windows xp cd, and installed the sata driver. Got a BSOD.
Tried again without the sata drive, no BSOD, but of course windows
setup couldn't see teh sata drive. Moved the drive to the Promoise
sata controller, and now I can boot fine to the sata drive. Does this
sound like a failed Via SATA contorller? Windows XP sees the
controller fine, though I do not have a drive hooked to it. Any ideas
as to what the problem might be?

STeve
3 answers Last reply
More about deluxe sata issue

    I think its a via bug

    had a kt600 mobo , on which i never got up a sata drive stable

    have a sata drive connected to promise on my k8v del too.
    works fine too.
    regards

    Happens to me if I have my usb 2 'icy box' plugged in at boot up, unplug it
    and it boot normally

    "Pigs on the Wing Productions" <f@u.com> wrote in message
    > Got a K8VSE Deluxe. I keep my computer on all the time. Came home from
    > work today, had a message on the screen to insert a boot disc. Upon a
    > reboot got same error. Startup sees my SATA drive on the VIA
    > controller fine. So I thought, perhaps the MBR was screwed up. So I
    > booted form windows xp cd, and installed the sata driver. Got a BSOD.
    > Tried again without the sata drive, no BSOD, but of course windows
    > setup couldn't see teh sata drive. Moved the drive to the Promoise
    > sata controller, and now I can boot fine to the sata drive. Does this
    > sound like a failed Via SATA contorller? Windows XP sees the
    > controller fine, though I do not have a drive hooked to it. Any ideas
    > as to what the problem might be?
    >
    > STeve

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:30:43 +0000 (UTC), "Ethan Rayne"
    <ethan.rayne@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote:

    >Happens to me if I have my usb 2 'icy box' plugged in at boot up, unplug it
    >and it boot normally
    >
    >"Pigs on the Wing Productions" <f@u.com> wrote in message
    >> Got a K8VSE Deluxe. I keep my computer on all the time. Came home from
    >> work today, had a message on the screen to insert a boot disc. Upon a
    >> reboot got same error. Startup sees my SATA drive on the VIA
    >> controller fine. So I thought, perhaps the MBR was screwed up. So I
    >> booted form windows xp cd, and installed the sata driver. Got a BSOD.
    >> Tried again without the sata drive, no BSOD, but of course windows
    >> setup couldn't see teh sata drive. Moved the drive to the Promoise
    >> sata controller, and now I can boot fine to the sata drive. Does this
    >> sound like a failed Via SATA contorller? Windows XP sees the
    >> controller fine, though I do not have a drive hooked to it. Any ideas
    >> as to what the problem might be?
    >>
    >> STeve

    Yeah I noticed that when I plug in my USB drive, the bios will defualt
    to that for boot up. But this is without that drive connectied.
    Windows won't even try to install without giveing a BSOD with an
    error.

Asus SATA Controller Motherboards