WindowsXP is using my Wireless card instead of my Wired Nic

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • NIC
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
December 30, 2004 11:53:04 AM

I have a windowsXP box that will use my wireless NIc card even when I have my
system connected to my netwrok port in my office. Is there anyway to tell the
OS to check and use the Wired NIC before using the wireless connection?

More about : windowsxp wireless card wired nic

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 30, 2004 7:12:29 PM

Greetings Marty,

When multiple network connections are available Windows XP uses the one that
has the lowest "metric" value. If both of your network connections are
enabled, assign a lower metric to the network connection that you want to
use, and a higher metric value to the other network connection. To assign a
metric value to the network connection:

1. Open the Network Connections folder, then right click the desired
connection.
2. Click Properties | Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
3. Click General, then click the Advanced tab.
4. Uncheck "Automatic metric value" checkbox
5. Assign metric value into the box.

An Explanation of the Automatic Metric Feature for Internet Protocol Routes
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299540

_______________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Marty" <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a windowsXP box that will use my wireless NIc card even when I have
>my
> system connected to my netwrok port in my office. Is there anyway to tell
> the
> OS to check and use the Wired NIC before using the wireless connection?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 30, 2004 7:24:40 PM

"Marty" <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a windowsXP box that will use my wireless NIc card even when I have
my
> system connected to my netwrok port in my office. Is there anyway to tell
the
> OS to check and use the Wired NIC before using the wireless connection?

With Service Pack 2 installed, you can enable and disable the wireless NIC.
With the wireless disabled, the wired NIC will be the only active NIC.
!