Transferring exisiting XP hard drive into a new computer

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've bought a new computer with P4 3.2 mhz 1 meg memory,
Intel mboard 865PERL. I installed my drive from old
computer with XP op system on it but it will not boot up.
As a test a clean drive I installed in the computer, then
installed XP works fine. Is there something with
activation of the drives in the old computer that is
preventing these drives to boot because its seeing new
board, processor, etc? I'm not going to use old computer
anymore so why can't I use my XP software in the new
machine without having to totally clean drive and
reinstall all software? If this is problem is there a way
to correct this? I'd like not to have to reformat drive
and load all the software in again. Or is it some other
cause?

"Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've bought a new computer with P4 3.2 mhz 1 meg memory,
> Intel mboard 865PERL. I installed my drive from old
> computer with XP op system on it but it will not boot up.
> As a test a clean drive I installed in the computer, then
> installed XP works fine. Is there something with
> activation of the drives in the old computer that is
> preventing these drives to boot because its seeing new
> board, processor, etc? I'm not going to use old computer
> anymore so why can't I use my XP software in the new
> machine without having to totally clean drive and
> reinstall all software? If this is problem is there a way
> to correct this? I'd like not to have to reformat drive
> and load all the software in again. Or is it some other
> cause?

try booting in dafe mode (f8 after post) and installing new motherboard
drivers. then reboot

--
..

That might work, but a repair install of XP is in order.
But the question arises, what was the version of XP on the
old computer, was it OEM or upgrade or was it a retail full
install?
To install the old hard drive as your boot hard drive, that
OS must be removed from the previous computer. The new
computer, was it a retail or custom purchase, did it come
with XP? What software did you use to do your "trial"
install?

XP won't boot on a radically changed system without a
reinstall and updated WPA.

See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

"Kelly Cotter"
<"deletethis"kelly.cotter@*deletethis*blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote in message
| "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| > I've bought a new computer with P4 3.2 mhz 1 meg memory,
| > Intel mboard 865PERL. I installed my drive from old
| > computer with XP op system on it but it will not boot
up.
| > As a test a clean drive I installed in the computer,
then
| > installed XP works fine. Is there something with
| > activation of the drives in the old computer that is
| > preventing these drives to boot because its seeing new
| > board, processor, etc? I'm not going to use old computer
| > anymore so why can't I use my XP software in the new
| > machine without having to totally clean drive and
| > reinstall all software? If this is problem is there a
way
| > to correct this? I'd like not to have to reformat drive
| > and load all the software in again. Or is it some other
| > cause?
|
| try booting in dafe mode (f8 after post) and installing
new motherboard
| drivers. then reboot
|
| --
| .

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for reply.
Your questions:
1.XP version on old computer - "Home" retail upgrade
2.New Computer - custom, my installation, all new mobo,
mem, P4, case
3.Did not come with new XP
4.Trial s/w was the same XP used in old but installed in
new drive while connected to new setup.

My question.- When you say "Won't boot.....without a
reinstall", do you mean a complete clean and reformat or
reinstall over existing?

It would need to be reinstalled over the installation.
However it seems that you will be in violation of EULA. The
new computer is not an upgrade of the old computer. The
upgrade you used on the old computer can me moved to a
different computer since it was a retail purchase. But your
new computer has never had an original OS to upgrade.
Just transferring a hard drive to the new computer is not a
valid or legal or perhaps I should say ethical procedure.
You could purchase a full install of Windows 95, 98 or ME at
a steep discount and install that and then use your upgrade.
Or you could buy a Microsoft OEM W XP Home CD for about
$80-100 and do a clean install. The MS OEM is exactly the
same as a retail, except it is tied (just as your current
old hard drive's original OS you upgraded was tied to the
first computer (mobo, CPU, case, etc.) and is not licensed
to be moved.

The reason why you new computer won't boot is that you'll
need a different set of drivers for the new mobo and CPU and
WPA will see the changed system and it won't match what is
in the file, so it won't boot.
New computers will cost money for new software. If you buy
a full install retail rather than an upgrade CD, you can
move that from machine to machine as you upgrade to new
computers. That is the difference. You can move the
upgrade to, but only to a computer that has an Windows OS
already installed.

| Thanks for reply.
| Your questions:
| 1.XP version on old computer - "Home" retail upgrade
| 2.New Computer - custom, my installation, all new mobo,
| mem, P4, case
| 3.Did not come with new XP
| 4.Trial s/w was the same XP used in old but installed in
| new drive while connected to new setup.
|
| My question.- When you say "Won't boot.....without a
| reinstall", do you mean a complete clean and reformat or
| reinstall over existing?

| >|
| >| try booting in dafe mode (f8 after post) and installing
| >new motherboard
| >| drivers. then reboot
| >|
| >| --
| >| .
| >|
| >|

| >.

Thanks for your help, I understand.

You're welcome. You can find used OS software, but if you
buy such, be sure you get all the original CD, manuals and
certificates. You might be able to buy an OEM (home
builders version at the place where you bought your mobo and
if they are nice they might still sell it to you at a
discount as though it was bought with the mobo.

| Thanks for your help, I understand.

| >|
| ><"deletethis"kelly.cotter@*deletethis*blueyonder.co.uk>
| text.cableinet.net...