Machine won't boot after installing SP2.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Dear all,

My machine has an Asus A7V133 motherboard. It works perfectly for the past
3 years or so with many CPU and/or OS upgrades (including XP SP1). However,
after installing SP2 on the fresh hard drive (i.e. installed it on a
perfectly fresh XP SP1) and restart, it refuses to boot beyond the Windows
XP logo splash screen. The config for my machine is super simple, Duron 800
MHz, 384MB of SDRAM, DVD-ROM (not even a CDRW), and a TNT2 video card. Of
course I have the most current BIOS from the website (v.1012).

I have read similar posts on Prescott CPUs, but no one has posted problems
with AMD and/or Asus motherboard yet. I have tried many combinations on the
BIOS setting, and still get exactly the same thing. I even tried renaming
update.sys and disabling L1 and L2 cache. None of these helps. I can get
to safe-mode though, but can do nothing there.

I doubt if Asus will continue to support this motherboard (almost 4 years
old already, although it is still running great). Is there any workaround?
Or should I just forget about SP2?

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,

Patrick

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:31:06 +0800, "Patrick Lam"
<allmailinglist@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My machine has an Asus A7V133 motherboard. It works perfectly for the past
>3 years or so with many CPU and/or OS upgrades (including XP SP1). However,
>after installing SP2 on the fresh hard drive (i.e. installed it on a
>perfectly fresh XP SP1) and restart, it refuses to boot beyond the Windows
>XP logo splash screen. The config for my machine is super simple, Duron 800
>MHz, 384MB of SDRAM, DVD-ROM (not even a CDRW), and a TNT2 video card. Of
>course I have the most current BIOS from the website (v.1012).
>
>I have read similar posts on Prescott CPUs, but no one has posted problems
>with AMD and/or Asus motherboard yet. I have tried many combinations on the
>BIOS setting, and still get exactly the same thing. I even tried renaming
>update.sys and disabling L1 and L2 cache. None of these helps. I can get
>to safe-mode though, but can do nothing there.
>
>I doubt if Asus will continue to support this motherboard (almost 4 years
>old already, although it is still running great). Is there any workaround?
>Or should I just forget about SP2?

Patrick,

please have a look at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Can't remember where, but I saw something about imcompatibilty with Via 4 in
1 drivers and Service Pack 2... Check via webpage